Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-30          146303

OK - I know we have discussed cleaning the outside of the tractor. But under the hood things are getting very dusty. Is it OK to gently hose off the engine and components while the tractor is not running? Are there any preferred methods you would suggest?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-30          146304

If it's running keep water out of the air intake otherwise it could lock it up or worse, bend a rod.

Clear water should be okay by itself to hose down the engine of dust. Petroleum-based cleaners are oaky for the most part all over the engine. However, be careful of some highly alkaline cleaners such as Greased Lightning as it could corrode exposed non-water proof electrical connectors. You'll know if it corroded them as it will turn brass ones black or copper ones green. ....

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
DK35vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-30          146306

As long as the engine is not hot when you wash it down, it will be fine to spray it down with water.
I have always pressure washed my tractor engines.
Never caused any problems.

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-01          146318

Thanks for the input EW and DK! ....

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-01          146325

Crunch, I think it is Murf who suggest a leaf blower also. An air line also will work for smaller areas. For most part have just used water hose as has been covered. If you are using leaf blower or air hose, you may need eye and nose protection. kt ....

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-01          146329

KT,

Since I have an air compressor handy in the garage I use that quite a bit, I also use the backpack leaf blower to dust off the the entire tractor.

I try avoid using water on the tractor. In fact I was just thinking how I have not even started my pressure washer at all this year, I find that it is so easy to destroy things with it in just an instant or get water into metal and electrical parts where it will cause problems. Then there is the antifreeze storage issue that can kill your dog, I ought to sell it ;-)

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-01          146349

Dennis, sell the dog, washer or the antifreeze? :) ....

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-01          146350

Ha Ha Ha Kt!

The dog is the only one that truly loves me around here, and that is just me overlooking the food basis of our relationship! LOL ....

Picture Link
Parts and Repair Cleaning Tractor Engine

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-01          146352

A leaf blower is indeed a great way to remove dust and debris from the engine and radiator.

I would however point out that if the engine is covered in oil residue or mud, etc., a blower won't remove that. Any over the counter engine shampoo will work well though, just spray it on, wait for it to do it's thing, and give it a light hose off with a garden hose.

Best of luck. ....

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-01          146359

Murf you forgot to mention the gov.-approved catch basin and contamination remediation unit. Seen some of these at local tractor dealers who work on and/or clean equipment---even local Home Depots who rent and clean their own equipment.

I used to wash my equipment at the local coin-op car wash where the owner is a now-former customer of mine. I was removing some light dust/oil mist of the trencher. The trailer deck is 20' long and was overhanging the exit of the wash by about a foot or two. The bright green anti-freeze looking "degreaser" had collected and ran down the trailer and was dripping onto the parking lot. Within seconds a city DPW worker---who best buddies with the wash owner calls the owner and they both show up. Long story short...the city worker tells me he is going to have my vehicle impounded for "anti-freeze contamination", call the DEQ, and have me arrested! He calmed down when the owner told him it was HIS degreaser. He says he only wants "clean cars" washed there. I told him that after this I will take ALL my business elsewhere. "Oh no, no" he says Oh, yes, yes. ....

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-01          146366

Jeff, you're right, I missed that step.

We use something called a "PIG Mat" which I'm told is now widely available, it is like a sheet of disposable diaper material, but with a BIG difference, the 'stay dry lining' will ONLY absorb petroleum products. You can throw them in a pond or lake and they will not take on water, only oil floating in it. They use them for cleaning up oil spills and such where the oil makes it to water.

We just place it under the tractor and blast away, the only thing that gets caught in it is oils.

Best of luck. ....

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-01          146373

Dennis, a good dog equals a good friend. Better than many if not most people. Take care of him, even if he also runs in circles as some others. kt ....

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
Art White

2007-10-01          146399

Tis a good looking dog! ....

Cleaning Tractor Engine

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-04          146521

Thanks Art.

He was sick yesterday and there was was nothing that could make him happy. I guess we get so used to them always being so perky and anxious to be with us, that when they don't that saying "Sick as a dog" comes in. Talk about depressed!

He was acting like he was a 13 year old lab yesterday instead of only a two year old. Any way he seems to be on the road to recovery as his appetite has returned.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login