Go Bottom Go Bottom

air compressors and choices

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-12-30          11614

I read a bunch of good stuff on this board about air compressors, and I am now in the market for one. My garage has 100A service with 110/220AC. I plan to install the unit upstairs for sake of space, but mostly noise. Especially since I already have air lines run to various location in the garage. Unfortunately this presents a problem in that I have to tug it up steps. I really like the Ingersoll Rand Units, (cast iron, 2 stage V twin). But all seem to have +80 gallon tanks and weight +400lbs. I'm not sure its possible, but I'm more in the market for one with a 20-40 gallon tank. I'd really like to stay away from Oiless if possible, or some other cheap wanna be.. Have a safe and happy holiday..I talk to you next year..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Richard

1999-12-31          11621

Mike, I don't have an air compressor, but have thought that one would be great to have for years. And with these conversations, I think I will finally get one.

One thing though I did not know the difference between Oil and Oil-less. I checked out Campbell-hausfled's site last night and the offer both types.

Is Campbell-hausfeld an OK brand to buy? ....

View my Photos
Keith Daniels

1999-12-31          11626

I bought a de Vilbiss this summer,but not as big as you seem to have a need for.I got a 5hp with a 20 gallon tank,oil bathed compressor.I too have been warned to stay away from the oiless compressors,they were claimed to be less reliable.So far so good..but I only run one tool at a time and I'm not in any type of heavy service,mostly airing up tires..etc.However I do have an impact wrench and rachet that it has no problems with,albeit it is not in constant use.I haven't heard anything bad about the Ingersoll or the Campbell-Hausefield,but just from personal experience (I used to work in a shipyard) the I-R TOOLS are much better quality and more mechanics use I-R air tools than other brands in this area.Now I don't know if that quality transfers to their air compressors...

Keith ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-01          11639

Cambell-hausfeld are good compressors. If you are going to be using a lot of air(sandblast, impact wrench ) a large tank is almost as important as the size of the compressor. With a small tank the compressor will have to start & stop alo, which can be hard on motors& switches. ....

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

2000-01-02          11655

Mike,

From a noise standpoint, the best place for an air compressor is outside. I don't know what your situation is, but if possible, I suggest you place a 4" to 6" slab about 3' square next to an outside shop wall. Put in 4 anchor bolts so you can secure the tank feet to the slab. Wire it up with watertight plastic conduit. Put a heavy duty switch in the citcuit at a convenient location inside. Around here (NE Arkansas), most folks let them sit exposed but you could also frame up a protective structure. My compressor is in my shop and it is not a problem. Then again, you could take your compressor motor and the compressor moror off the tank to carry it up to your attic. This is simple to do. If you elect to go with the attic location make sure the framming can support the concentrated load. You may have to live with some vibrations in your structure when it is running. Could be as bad or worse than having the compressor in the shop. Good luck lugging that thing.

Steve ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-01-02          11659

There is nothing wrong with Campbell-Hausfeld compressors, or other products, for home use. They are very popular and the price is usually good, but you won't likely see them in use by professional mechanics, who tell me they just won't hold up long in daily, prolonged use (and since I don't want to start any arguments, I'll confess right now that I have no proof of that). The DeVilbiss compressors with which I am familiar are aluminum and IMHO the crankcase is too shallow. They are just fine as long as you keep enough oil in them, but one of my customers burned his completely up when he thought he had enough oil in it. When you removed the fill plug, you could see oil, but it probably isn't enough to adequately lubricate the crankshaft and connecting rods unless it is full enough to run over. My brother has one and is satisfied with it, but his owner's manual says to NOT run it more than 20 minutes continuously. Of course, that won't do for me. As far as the air tools (impact wrenches, ratchets, saws, sanders, drills, etc.) there are literally hundreds of brands. The cheap ones are usually good enough for most of us for home use, but the pros generally use the expensive ones if they're going to be used daily. Since I'm in the business of repairing/rebuilding mechanics' air tools, I'm partial to Ingersoll-Rand and Chicago Pneumatic (and the tools they make with other brand names on them, like MAC and Matco) because of their durability, ease of repair, and availability and cost of parts. Most air tools are designed to operate on a maximum of 90 psi (you can get more power out of them by running higher pressure, and ensure that folks like me stay in business) and their manuals tell what volume of air is required (SCFM). Air compressors are also labelled as to the volume of air they can provide in SCFM. If you match the compressor to your highest volume tool, you can determine what size compressor you need. ....

View my Photos
Bruce Lahmayer

2000-01-02          11661

I recently bought a compressor and made my decision on previous experience with them. Here are some of my thoughts:
1. I don't really need 175 psi that is typical of two stage units. What I do need is lots of volume (cfm) for running air tools.
2. I don't want to keep it outside or even in an unheated outbuilding because in the winter it will have a hard time starting in the cold.
3. I need to be disciplined about not leaving it plugged in when I am not around to monitor its operation. Air compressors will ultimately have a mechanical failure of some sort. The belt will wear out. Or a pulley may get loose. They can run low on oil and sieze up. The belt gards can vibrate loose. I've had all of these things happen with two different compressors.

What I settled on was a three cylinder single stage design that could produce more volume than the more expensive two stage designs. It will keep up with most air tools and yet not have to run steady to do so. And it cost less than the least expensive two stage design.

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-01-04          11681

Thanks for the info guys,
I guess what I'm really asking for is knowledge of or experience with a cast iron V-twin on a 10-40 gallon tank,(1 or 2 stage). Our garage is strictly for personal use. I do plan to invest in a few air tools, but it will never "approach" the use a commercial garage compressor see's. Outside installation will be out of the question. Considering we spend an extra $20k to match the garage to the house (Stone). Amazing how her 1 and only requirement turns out to be the most expensive. But thats another story. The 2nd level should be strong enough..using 2"x12" on 16" centers, with 3/4" tongue and groove floor. I'm sure the IR units are way overkill..But if you ask anyone..that's why I like em. My father has 2 Speedaire units...any thoughts on them? I don't mind paying for quality..I think its less expensive in the long run..I hope to never have the need to buy another one. MLS ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-01-04          11683

The cast iron V-twin is definitely the preferred way to go. Ingersoll-Rand is a fine product, but expensive, of course. I'm using a Puma, 230 volt, cast iron V-twin, 60 gallon tank, cooling fins on the lines from cylinders to the tank, deep crankcase with both sight glass and dipstick to monitor oil level, etc. Cost $600 new in Arlington, TX. Not familiar with the Speedaire. ....

View my Photos
RobertN

2000-01-07          11756

Bird, a cast iron V-twin? My alloy Evolution works really well, especially since I put the Super-E on it. Oh, you mean compressors, I was thinking bikes :-)

Have you seen the kit for volkswagen engines? A couple years ago I saw it in Hot-VW's. You take a complete VW Flat 4cylinder engine, and take the head off of one side. You put in it's place a modified head setup to use two cylinders as the "compressor". The other two cylinders ran off a normal intake and carb.

The VW is air cooled, self enclosed. al it needed was a fuel supply and a stand for the engine, which you could buy also.

The output from this thing was pretty darned good, but I don't remember the numbers now.

Interesting concept... ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-01-07          11760

RobertN, I have only HEARD of such a compressor, and even talked to a guy who swears he did something similar with an Oldsmobile V-8, but I've never seen such a rig. ....

View my Photos
JerryGoucher

2000-01-08          11791

I don't know who makes it, but Tyson Foods has compressors on there tire service trucks that are made from 5.0 litre (302) Ford motors. One side of the V-8 is the compressor and it is powered by the other side. They have been using these since at less 1980. ....

View my Photos
David Carpenter

2000-08-07          18586

Michael don't opt for the volkswagen or ford unless you're ready to use
a jackhammer. I bought a de Vilbiss 5hp, 115 current, 20 gal tank, oil-bathed
twin cyl. I use it at home for auto tools, nail guns, tires, etc. It
works like a champ on most things. Exception is grinder which requires
it to run almost constantly. For my father-in-laws farm we bought a
de Vilbiss 6.5hp, 220current, 80 tank, oil-bathed twin cyl. This one will
work with anything we can use. I can spray paint with it(tractor, shredder,
old truck) and grinder,it does not have to run as much, and maintains a constant
pressure. Needs to be bolted down, however ....

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2000-08-07          18591

I just bought a 120v DeVilbiss 5 hp and I started doing some math on the wattage:
5 hp * 750 watts/hp/120v = 31.25 amps --> way more than the 20 amp circuit it is pulling from. I asked my electrician and he said the compressor can be wired for 120 or 240v. He said at 120v, it is really only putting out 2 1/2 hp. Food for thought. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-07          18593

Rob, there are some peculiar rules when it comes to horsepower ratings of electric motors. My compressor says 6hp, on a 60 gallon tank, but when I bought it, the dealer said, "We call them imitation 6hp" and showed me another compressor with what he called "a true 5hp" motor that was 2 to 3 times the size of mine. I've forgotten all the rules and calculations, but the manufacturers are allowed to give a rating that is the maximum peak load starting power. Your "5hp" DeVilbiss will run just fine on 120v on a 20 amp circuit because, like the electrician told you, it isn't actually running at 5 hp so it isn't pulling near that many amps. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login