Go Bottom Go Bottom

Trading Honda Pilot or CRV for 2012 Subaru Impreza or Outback

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-02          181461

I have been interested in downsizing my vehicles as my kids will soon be going to college.... I have been looking at the 2012 Subaru Outback and Impreza, just from the web.

Yesterday I went to a dealer hoping they had the 2012 Impreza which is rated at 27 to 36 MPG. Not in yet even though their web site showed inventory.

They had a 2011 Impreza WRX and a 2012 Outback on the showroom floor though. On the 2011 Impreza 5 door hatch, wow is the trunk small, it made my CRV look cavernous, where I always thought it was tight.

On the Outback I liked the drivers position and there was plenty of room in the back seat. But again the lower height of the car and the slope of the hatch made the rear storage very limited. Compared to my Pilot there just was no comparison.

I went into the dealership wanting to get rid of my two gas guzzlers, I walked out scratching my head wondering how Honda was able to get such great gas mileage out of cars that seemed to have 2 x or more hauling capacity.

I still want to see the 2012 Impreza but my interest has really cooled. I just don't know if the better mileage is worth it. May have to wait until the kids are out of college.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-02          181467

Honda isn't really known for getting great mileage on most of their product line anymore. What kind of mileage do you get on the Pilot and CRV? The CRV looks quite a bit taller than the Impreza but, to me, the Outback has grown so much I wouldn't want one. A lot of that growth may be ground clearance though. It sits higher than most.

We have found the Impreza to have plenty of space with the rear seat folded down. That is with two of us. Just had all four snow tires in there for the winter changeover and could still see out the rear view mirror. I always thought that was pretty good for a small car.

Maybe you should get one small car and a pickup?

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-12-02          181468

The cheapest car to drive is the one you already own.

But the current online New York Times, Auto section, has an imporessive piece on the new Imprezza's gas comsumption. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-12-02          181471

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 181467
Honda isn't really known for getting great mileage on most of their product line anymore. What kind of mileage do you get on the Pilot and CRV? The CRV looks quite a bit taller than the Impreza but, to me, the Outback has grown so much I wouldn't want one. A lot of that growth may be ground clearance though. ....Maybe you should get one small car and a pickup?

Hmmmm on the Honda mileage that is what I thought until I saw how big the Honda gear is... for example I saw a Honda Fit parked next to a Honda CRV parked next to an older Impreza. The Impreza was more the size of the Fit which surprised me. The CRV was really an SUV not at all in the same category as the Fit or Impreza which are more in the compact car category.

On the Pilot I get 19.6 with the local mix I do here with all the up down the hills/mini mountains, on a trip I can get 22. With the CRV on a trip I can get 32 around here local I get just under or at 24 MPG.

I am in a weird place right now trying figure what I want to be when I grow up :) While at the same time trying to figure out how to get the funds to send my two kids to college. So you make a good point, I need to figure that out before I spend any money. As Auerbach says its really cheaper to do nothing unless you need to.... ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-12-04          181515

Dennis, have you looked at the Subaru Forester at all? It's CRV-like with more room than the Outback and Impreza. It didn't used to get the mileage of the CRV but they redesigned it a year or two ago and their latest designs seem to be delivering much better mileage.

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-04          181521

Dennis are you looking at the Subaru for the all wheel drive?

Auerbach, maybe the dumbest trade I ever did was for better mileage. That was about 30 years back and still think how dumb it was. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-12-05          181530

KT I hear you, the cost of gas is only part of the story :(

Here is how these cars stack up by MPG and hauling capacity, admittedly a rather mixed up group, but the idea being getting some hauling stuff around type vehicle.

Ordered by best mileage descending:

Model/Combined MPG/Weight/Cargo/Cargo Max

Impreza/31/3053/22/52
Outback/25/3558/34/71
Forester/24/3360/31/63
CRV/23/3550/36/72
Pilot/20/4550/48/87

Orderd by Cargo:

Model/Combined MPG/Weight/Cargo/Cargo Max

Pilot/20/4550/48/87
CRV/23/3550/36/72
Outback/25/3558/34/71
Forester/24/3360/31/63
Impreza/31/3053/22/52

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-05          181538

We are beginning to look at vechiles and I have always liked the looks of the Pilot and then see the new ones and okay what happened. Then read the reviews and they tell how great they "WERE" but better options today. So what options. When I told my wife the mileage of that size SUV compared to her Avalon she said, another Avalon please.

Think what makes sense for us is to get ride of my Tundra (not the large current size but more little larger than the Tacomma now) and get a heavy duty used pickup for what towing I do of any weight (year to date, about 100 miles) and both of us use cars. Had conversation with a son in law tonight how low the mileage on the Toyota pickups and SUV are. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-05          181539

Dennis, have you looked at the Honda Ridgeline? The only model Honda I have ever heard run or sat in is the Civic but the Ridgeline is rated very high but price on that is also very high from on line info only. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-12-05          181540

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 181538
... Had conversation with a son in law tonight how low the mileage on the Toyota pickups and SUV are.

Yep. My 07 Tacoma is the first vehicle I've ever had where the mileage went down as it broke in. Went from 22 to 18. Part (or most) of that is the ethanol but keeripes, that is crappy. I could do better with a full size F150 but I don't want something that big. I wish they'd bring back the small pickups, the Tacoma is more than I need. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-12-06          181544

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 181461
I have been interested in downsizing my vehicles as my kids will soon be going to college.... I have been looking at the 2012 Subaru Outback and Impreza,just from the web.

I can think of 2 good reasons why I might like an Impreza (STI trim mind you) for a run-around buggy;

1) 305 hp.

2) 2,750 pound AWD chassis.

Yeee-haw. :)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-12-06          181551

Ken has no one brought out small diesel pickup? You were looking for one right?

I have been surprised to learn Honda and Toyota are not any better and not as good and Ford and Chevy is now in some models. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-12-06          181554

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 181551
Ken has no one brought out small diesel pickup?

The sad irony of that whole idea is that the very Goobermint that should be encouraging the expanded use of existing technology like diesels is instead passing 'clean air' legislation that actually prohibits the manufacturers from selling their more fuel efficient models here.

There was a great uproar a few years back when Volkswagen announced there would be no diesels in it's lineup because of the overly stringent CARB regulations.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-12-06          181559

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 181551
Ken has no one brought out small diesel pickup? You were looking for one right? I have been surprised to learn Honda and Toyota are not any better and not as good and Ford and Chevy is now in some models.

I was interested in looking at Mahindra. They were supposed to bring a diesel mid-size pickup to the states. There have been so many broken promises, missed schedules, pissed off dealers and lawsuits that it may never happen. Even if it did their announced prices for a new (to the states) brand, unknown quality, and unknown support network were extremely high so I wrote off that idea. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-12-07          181575

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 181539
Dennis, have you looked at the Honda Ridgeline? The only model Honda I have ever heard run or sat in is the Civic but the Ridgeline is rated very high but price on that is also very high from on line info only.

I have determined that for the bulk of my usage I don't like or need a open back like a pickup. I own a 4 foot by 8 foot trailer that I use when I need to haul anything where a pickup would be needed. So I just need something that can take a trailer hitch. The trailer I have has the wheels in the center of the trailer bed so it almost impossible to backup with an SUV or car. But light enough when empty to move around by hand. I use this trailer with my Kubota for hauling firewood and debris around my property, a real work saver. With the tractor it is easy to back up as well

My 2010 Pilot and the Ridgeline are almost identical except for the open tail. It is my understanding that the Ridgeline will be eliminated from Honda's lineup very soon. The US market appetite for big transformer type vehicles has declined to such a low level that it makes them unprofitable. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-12-07          181579

I've always believed that tires are so under-estimated in the area of traction that it's laughable.

I also believe that the term "all season" should not be allowed to be used on tires sold north of Atlanta Georgia.

That said, I have had several large rear-wheel drive sedans in the past, mostly V12 European makes. I always had them on 4 really top-drawer snow tires for the winter. They would routinely go places a 4WD on 'all-season' tires couldn't. When going to my cottage I routinely drove through snow deep enough I had to have the wipers on to clear the snow coming up over the hood off the windshield.

I also have a good friend who has a long commute, about 60 miles one way, through snowy countryside. He drives, and has for years, a Volkswagen Golf equipped with top-notch snow tires, same deal, he goes where 4WD's on 'all-seasons' don't dare to.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2011-12-12          181612

Dennis:

Didn't know if you would ever consider a Ford. They are doing some interesting things with the Eco-Boost system. If you go to their website under SUV's and Crossovers you will see a new Ford Escape is coming in the Spring that has been downsized as a 2013 model. It has an I-4 1.6L Eco-Boost that is yet unrated. I guessing in a 4X4 model it will have atleast a highway mileage rating of 32 mpg. Guessing it will have the power of a 2.5-3.0L engine.

They are now also offering a 2.0L I-4 Eco-boost in the Explorer that has a 28 mpg rating but doesn't indicate if that is for a 4x4 model or 4x2. The Explorer platform is a fairly large vehicle by today's standard.

In the F150 series 1/2 ton pickups, the V-6 Eco-boost has really taken off and has more power than some smaller V-8's and matches the performance of a 6.0L V-8 with better mileage. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2012-02-10          182374

Update....

So far I have found that the Subaru dealers look at me like I am from Siberia when I present them with my Honda Pilot as a trade. They wanted to give me below wholesale... and then jack the sales price of the Subaru from dealer invoice back to MSRP. Just not working.

This has forced me to go back to Honda,as they seem to look favorably on recent model trade ins on Hondas in excellent condition. I just no longer need anything as big as a Pilot, I need less 8 passenger cars and more little cars now that my two teens are driving age.

I have a deal on a CRV, but they are still trying to locate one as cars are in short supply still after the tsunami in Japan. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2012-02-11          182384

That's too bad about the Subaru dealers. The Portland, OR metro area is Subarus biggest sales market in the US. The dealers here are very competitive and have been easy to deal with. In a small market it might be they just don't have to deal.

I've been thinking of dumping my Tacoma and getting something else. The Toyota dealer will give huge trade-in value towards another Toyota but dealers of other brands won't come close on trade-in credit. If I do this I'll just sell it outright and save $2k+ over trade-in anywhere.

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-02-12          182393

Dennis, no idea about there but dealers here attitude can vary a lot in say 80 miles. Not just autos but also with tractors. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2012-02-14          182418

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 182384
..... The Toyota dealer will give huge trade-in value towards another Toyota but dealers of other brands won't come close on trade-in credit. If I do this I'll just sell it outright and save $2k+ over trade-in anywhere.

Has anyone been able to sell a car as a private sale instead of trading it in recently? The last time I did that was 2000 when I sold a 1996 Honda Accord EX with a 5 Speed Manual Trans. I think only 5% of the 1996 Accords had stick shifts so it was a rarity.

When I search online now 99.9999% of cars listed are at dealer lots not private sales. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2012-02-14          182421

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 182418
Has anyone been able to sell a car as a private sale instead of trading it in recently?The last time I did that was 2000 when I sold a 1996 Honda Accord EX with a 5 Speed Manual Trans.I think only 5% of the 1996 Accords had stick shifts so it was a rarity.When I search online now 99.9999% of cars listed are at dealer lots not private sales.

In 2008 we bought a new Subaru Impreza and then sold our Highlander to a guy in California who flew up to buy it. I listed the Highlander on eBay, the price didn't meet reserve but the guy had contacted me before the auction ended and had my email address. After auction end he contacted me to arrange a sale at the reserve price and I didn't have to pay the final value fee. Probably got $2k more on the sale than a dealer would give me. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-02-14          182422

Ken I realize this could vary a lot by region but autotraders has a lot of invididuals listed and talk with a used car dealers. They buy a lot from new dealers for their selling.

But a lot here of certain types are on Craigslist and I have a friend who does auctions often. Mostly small stuff but they also sell cars. He remarked right before Christmas they were selling there for more very high price. NOt sure now if he was comparing to wholesale or retail.

Do talk with your better used car lots. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2012-02-16          182433

I too suspect it's a regional thing Dennis.

Around here it's about a 60% (dealer) 40% (private) split on used cars.

I just got back from another shopping trip to Tampa FL and did a bunch of 'pre-shopping' research online before going down there, there was no shortage of a) private sales, but more importantly, b) no shortage of dealers offering big discounts off the asking price for quick cash sales.

One of the items I bought as an example, was a 2004 motorhome, NADA value was $76k., dealer was asking $56k, I bought it for $38k cash.

I also noticed a lot of dealer 'inventory' was actually consignment units.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login