Go Bottom Go Bottom

chains studs

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-16          22522

A while ago someone mentioned studs for the rear of the tractor. I know Art White is familiar with them. I am undecided. I can purchase chains for around 140.oo and know they will do the job. I have them on the front now but it is not enough. Will they pull in the deep snow like chains or are they more for slippery surfaces? How much are they and where can they be purchased? I can't find them on the web. Thanks, Cutter

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

chains studs

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-16          22524

Cutter I am familiar with them only due to the ice racing that goes on in central NY. I don't know where to go to get them. Now for the next question will they help you as much as chains? I don't believe they will help as much on deeep snow as a set of double ring tire chains but they sure would be a lot smoother on the driveway or road and they would help cutting in to the ice to give you traction. I've waiting for the ice to get thick enough to see what the boys are running and put a handle on a set to try. I believe it was Murf who talked of them to begin with. ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Murf

2000-12-18          22569

Cutter, Art, it was indeed me that mentioned them. They do not pull quite as well as chains in deep snow, however, at travel speed or on bare ground they sure are smoother. On ice they are unbelievable, they even put 'v-bar' chains to shame. You should be able to get them from any large snowmobile / atv dealer, and I would not be surprised if Northern Supplies or the like would carry them. Best of luck. ....

chains studs

View my Photos
cutter

2000-12-18          22590

Thanks to you both. I shall stop and look at them. Cutter ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Jim Berger
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-18          22593

I stopped at my local motorcycle dealer and asked about these studs today. They're like a 1/4" hex head self-tapping screw with a blob of carbide on the head. They seemed to be about 85 cents apiece and could be ordered in quantities of 48. Question: they are available in lengths of from 1/2" to about an inch. Any suggestions on length appropriate for an ag tire? Not from the standpoint of puncturing the tire, but my concern is if they're too short could they pull or tear out? ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Murf

2000-12-19          22617

Jim, thats exactly the product you want. We use the 1" length and have not had any problems with either punture or tear out. From experience you may want to get them to look into ordering them elsewhere, they are available in 500 pcs. and in 50 lb. boxes also. For example, we run 1 stud per lug on Turfs, and 4 per lug in Ag's (R1's) or R4's, start counting you will be surprised at how many it takes. As for $0.85 each, for small quantities thats not too bad but about double the 'volume price'. Best of luck. ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Jeff B

2000-12-19          22646

Another good source for ice screws is the Dennis Kirk catalog (motorcycle stuff), also on the web at www.denniskirk.com. I've had good luck with the company in the past. A box of 250 "Pro-Gold" screws, 1" long is 16.99. ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Bruce Brogan

2000-12-20          22661

Murph I am very intrested in studing my tires for many of the same reasons mentchioned before. I have a new JD 4300 4x4 and turf tires. I have made contact with several companys including dennis kirk mentioned on this board they all say thet the screw in studs will wear very fast used on a tractor, especally if used on asphalt. also there is posibilty of puncture if they were left in to long. These were tech people i spoke with . you seem to know more about this . Any help would be great thanks. Bruce ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Murf

2000-12-20          22663

Bruce, in the 15 years we have been running studs we have never yet 'ruined' a tire with them, they will cause the tire to wear a little faster than without, but certainly not as much as the spinning would cause if we didn't run them. As for punctures, yes if you put a 1" stud in a tire with only 3/4" of tread you will certainly have a problem, but if you use the proper length for your application you should be fine. Be sure to run the stud down to the point of 'firm contact' with the tire, but do not try to over-tighten since this will only stip out the hole. Studs and pavement are certainly not a good combination anyway, especially if it is YOUR pavement, you will not like what "traction" looks like in the spring, but then chains are not much kinder to paving either. Best of luck. ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Jeff B

2000-12-20          22670

Murf, are the carbide tipped studs worth the extra money relative to the regular studs? I've found the carbide tipped ones for about $0.76 each vs about $0.07 each for the regular ones. - Jeff ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Murf

2000-12-21          22680

Jeff, we run the regular steel studs but mostly out of economics, as you pointed out there is a 10:1 price difference for the carbides, and since length is critical to getting the right balance between the stud staying in the tire, and the air staying in the tire, we stock all lengths and replace each worn out set with one of the proper length for the now further worn down lugs. Besides we put about the same amount of hours on a machine each year as an average owner puts on a machine in the whole time they own it. So for the average user it is probably a once in a lifetime purchase. I don't think you would wear out a steel set unless you are doing a LOT of work on pavement or concrete. Best of luck. ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Von

2000-12-21          22694

How do these studs differ from the studs that are used on car tires? I have an ice rink that I plow with my Kubota. I also have a Zamboni that has studed tires. If I could put the same type of studs on the Kubota I think I would be all set.

Von ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Murf

2000-12-21          22703

Von, the studs on a Zamboni are designed to give only the bare minimum traction so as to not destroy the ice surface, car tire studs are similar, designed NOT to tear up a road, just to help with traction. These studs are VERY agressive, especially the carbide ones which are obviously extremely hard, and have exceptionally sharp cutting edges, I know I have seen what happens to my trailers every year. Best of luck. ....

chains studs

View my Photos
von

2000-12-22          22719

Murf,
Will the studs used on cars and my Zamboni work on my turf tires? and are they hard to put in the tires, also just the back or both front and rear? Thanks for your help.

Von ....

chains studs

View my Photos
Murf

2000-12-22          22721

Von, they will work, they are just not as agressive, therefore you will not get quite as much traction, however they will be better than nothing. Installation is a breeze, but use an electric drill or your arm will fall off from the sheer number to be put in. We stud all 4 wheels, the fronts are a BIG help in steering but will not put enough load on the front end to be any concern. A word of caution though, do not try to use differential braking to help steering with studs, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES use the differential lock with the wheels anything but straight forwards, or you will be missing a lot of studs in short order. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login