Go Bottom Go Bottom

Snow Removal with Rear Blade

View my Photos
Markus Dammermann
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-13          22417

I have used my Landpride 1572 RBT rear blade to remove snow on my gravel driveway, and really messed up the surface. I had new 1/2" gravel brought in about a month ago, which had not yet compacted very well or frozen to the ground due to very little moisture. The blade just tore up my nice smooth driveway. Because of the relatively short wheel base of compact tractors, this must be a common problem. Will skid shoes solve that problem? My dealer quoted me two Landpride skid shoes for around $ 200, which is unbelievably expensive. My idea is to buy some cheap large diameter air filled caster wheels and install them on the blade, which should work even better thab skid shoes. Has anybody ever tried that with good results? Do skid shoes or caster wheels make a difference on a rear blade for snow removal? Any comments welcome.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Paul Chase

2000-12-14          22433

I've got the same blade, and the same problem. I posted earlier inquiring about a 3pt snow blower but can't justify the cost (yet). I agree about the cost of the skid shoes. My brother-in-law has an 84" blade and was going to try the shoes. We just recieved our first decent snowfall (central NH) so I'll find out how they worked and follow-up. I'm thinking even though the cost is crazy, if they work it will save the drive. We'll see. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-12-14          22461

Markus, I have the exact same blade as you, and my Landpride skidshoes only cost me $100 for the set (2). The skidshoes do help with the gravel problem. You need to set them to leave about 2" of snow to avoid scraping up the gravel. You will get 2 shallow depression in the gravel where the skidshoes ride on the gravel, but this doesn't cause any problem. These go away when you drive on the gravel. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-12-15          22463

Also another little tip - plow snow with the blade pushing in the reverse position. The blade with float better over the ground and not dig in the the gravel much. ....

View my Photos
Paul Chase

2000-12-15          22466

Jim, where are you located? I'm in NH. Maybe I can use your quote as a barganing tool. ....

View my Photos
MD

2000-12-15          22468

Jim, I have done same thing with the reverse blade deal, it seems to be working great! ....

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2000-12-15          22469

Marcus, before I switched from 3pt hitch type to skid steer front type attachments, I enjoyed great success using a York rake equipped with all of the options, one being the grader blade. I had the same problems over gravel, added the adjustable gage wheel kit and put the rake into float. The wheels did the trick. Of course this attachment was good for only snow less than 4" deep. Casters are not a bad way to go if you have a source and a means to mount them to your blade. You have a good idea that deserves exploring. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
richard james allen

2000-12-15          22470

Jim, can you explain what you mean by plowing with the blade in the reverse position? Are you plowing with the cutting edge or the back of the blade? Or are you just talking about turning the blade around and plowing in reverse gear? Here in NJ we have not yet gotten any snow so I have not had the opportunity to try the rear blade. Thanks for the insight. Rich ....

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-15          22471

Richard, I believe that Jim is saying to use the back of the blade too push or drag with. That way the cutting edge won't scrape up or dig in on gravel or other soft ground. You would want that cutting edge to scrape on asphalt or concrete surfaces. ....

View my Photos
richard james allen

2000-12-15          22473

DFB, what about the skid plates? I would think that they would cause the snow to get stuck on the back of the blade. ....

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-15          22474

Richard I don't use skid shoes on my tractor blade. I have them on my truck mounted snowplows. They don't cause any real problems when I back drag the blade. The snow certainly won't roll as well as with the curved edge. Hopefully Jim will tell you more. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-15          22481

You might try an adjustment on the top link of the three point hitch. Depending on pushing or pulling try to make the blade less agressive. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-12-15          22501

Although I just removed the snow from a mile and a half of paved county road by using my rear blade facing forward and angled to the side, this method would however, remove the gravel from my driveway. Jim's idea of using the back of the blade on a gravel driveway works pretty well--if you don't mind backing the tractor a long distance. Regarding skid shoes: When I had a hydraulic front blade with skid shoes, I set the shoes at a depth of 4 inches and made one pass down the middle of my driveway and removed the snow AND almost two inches of gravel and deposited it on the other side of the county road--the gravel was not frozen and the skid shoes simply sunk in. My vote (no pregnant chad either) is to back the tractor and push the snow with the back of the rear blade. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-12-15          22503

I have found that I need to adjust the angle and direction of the blade more while plowing snow than when grading a gravel drive. So to avoid constantly adjusting one side of the 3-pt to level the blade while angled, I adjusted the toplink so that at any angle the blade was level to the ground. I mostly push snow in reverse with the back of the blade o---0--) and if I need to drive forward I will pull the back of the blade. o---0--( ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-12-16          22507

What I meant by plowing with the blade in the reverse position is pushing snow with the back of the blade. Sometimes I do this by pushing snow in reverse and sometimes by rotating the blade all the way in reverse so I can drive forward with the blade dragging snow on the backside of the blade. Of course if you do this, you must angle the blade so that the snow turns out and doesn't pile up behind the tractor. I'm in Northern Arizona and my John Deere equipment dealer is in Flagstaff. If I can buy the equipment (blade and skidshoes) here for the price I quoted, then most places should be able to match or better these prices since everything around here must be shipped quite a ways. ....

View my Photos
Paul Chase

2000-12-16          22514

I knew there had to be a better way. I'll try using the back side of the blade today. I'll also most likely buy the skid shoes, I must have gotten some bad info last year. Yesterday I was quoted $110 for shoes and brakets. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
Brent B

2000-12-16          22517

Skid shoes aren't available for my 45 Deere blade, so I just bolted a 2x6 to
the back angle iron on the back of the blade. This is so I don't scrape the asphalt. I did play around with the center link length to try cutting closer.
I found that the metal edge would pull up rocks out of the asphalt if I let it
touch.

View my Photos
Mike Broich

2000-12-16          22520

I was able to fabricate skid plates rather easily for my blade. The blade has holes already drilled in it (to offset the mounting to the left or right). I simply cut some 1/2" x 3" wide bar stock into 2 pieces about 12" long, then bent the front and back 3 " up to a 45 degree angle using the torch. I welded a 18" length of unistrut straight up from the middle of each, and I bolt them on using 1/2" bolts and unistrut nuts . Crude ascii drawing from the side:

||
| ||
Blade | ||unistrut
| ||
/ ||
\____||___/ skid plate
I have plenty of adjustment available with the unistrut, but I have been running them tight to the bottom of the blade. I still move a little gravel, but I need to clear almost all of the snow for our cars to climb the incline in our driveway. ....

View my Photos
Paul Chase

2000-12-20          22665

What a great tip by Jim and others about plowing with the back side of the blade. It works great on my driveway with 1/2" stones. So much so that I'm no longer considering a blower unless I run into alot of spare cash and you know how often that happens. I'll probably skip the shoes also. Thanks alot! ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-12-21          22708

Glad it worked out for you Paul. It has always worked pretty good for me. Now if we could only get some snow here in the Southwest. Hope it's not another dry winter here like last year. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login