Go Bottom Go Bottom

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
joeinnovator
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-28          97348

I recently purchased a KK XB Tiller from the local TSC. After about 4 hours use on my hard clay soil behind my Kubota BX2200, both 3pt brackets bent and broke the welds. TSC has offered to replace it but I'm concerned that a new one will do the same thing. Anyone else have any experience with the KK XB Tiller? Is the KK II Tiller built better and can my BX2200 handle it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-09-28          97350

I'm sure the KK II tillers are much better built than the XB tillers (the XB line looks really light duty to me).
Can't say if your 2200 can handle one or not.. ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-28          97352

Two things to check on the KK II Tillers for your xb. The pin height and the face to face distance from the pto to the gearbox. Usually, the pin height would be a problem.

I have an KK XB Box Blade, and it actually weighs about the same as the standard KK. They make a Cat 0 blade that is light duty, but most of the XB stuff is pretty substantial. The quality is another story, although for a chunk of iron, it does what it is supposed to do. I've never looked at their tillers. ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-28          97354

I've got a KK XB box blade too. Seems to be built rugged enough for what I've done with it.

I'll be very interested in what you find out on the tillers. This is going to be my next purchase. I'd rather have the the gear drive KKII than the chain drive XB, however. ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
joeinnovator

2004-09-29          97359

Thanks for all input. How would I know what range of pin height and face to face dimensions are compatible?

Has anyone tried a KK II 48" Tiller on a BX? ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
beagle

2004-09-29          97368

The XB arms are made for the standard 26" spacing, but are a little shorter. Raise your 3pt, measure the clearance from the ground to the center of the pin holes. Compare that to the pin height on the tiller, just to be sure you can raise it enough. The face to face dimension would be a little tougher without actually mounting the tiller. Most PTO shafts can be cut enough to make it work though.

Good luck. ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
cherymax

2004-10-01          97511

A few weeks ago, I bought a KKII 48" tiller from TSC. If you need any measurements off the tiller, I'll be glad to help ya. I have it on a JD 4110... so I don't know how that compares to your situation.

I've been trying to find out what the diff. between KK and KKII is for awhile now with no luck. However, I just discoverd that the www.kingkutter.com website has "standard products" and "sub-compact products" while the www.kingkutter2.com website only list "products" there's no sub-compact option. KK's servers appear to be down for maint. so that's all I know right now. ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
joeinnovator

2004-10-04          97659

Thanks for the offer but I dont know what range of dimensions are acceptable. I'm hoping someone may already be using a KK II 48" tiller with a Kabota BX.

What's you first impression of strength and quality? ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-04          97667

I was quoted on the King Kutter tillers:

TG 48 $1282 (King Kutter 2 - Gear Drive)
XB 48 $1177 (King Kutter - Chain Drive)

Do these numbers sound reasonable? They are from Fleet-Farm the local big box farm supply store. ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
joeinnovator

2004-10-05          97684

The local (Northern NY) Tractor Supply store sells the XB Tiller for $1196.58. They sell the KKII for $1098. When I asked why the lighter duty, chain driven XB model was more than the KKII they told me it was do to sales volumes. I bought the XB because I thought it was a better fit for my tractor but now I dont believe it's built beefy enough. ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
cherymax

2004-10-05          97693

I just paid $1058.00 + tax for a KKII TG-48 at TSC.

Quality? I tend to be of the mind set... "If it looks good it is good." Having said that the KK doesn't look good. If it wasn't for the crappy paint, my overall first impression would be much higher. I know paint is cosmetic but, to me, that poor paint represent a poor quality of overall workmanship.

Mechanical build quality looks to be at least avg./good. The only obvious things I noticed: a couple of the welds were a little hot (too much penetration) and the skid shoes are configured in such a way that you cannot use all available settings. The skids work/adj. fine... it's just poorly engineered. It'd be an easy fix to trim a bit here or there to fix the problem... but again it represent an overall lack of workmanship/engineering.

Having said that... I have absolutely no problems with build quality or strength. I'd buy another one.

The main reason(s) I got the KK are it's gear drive, weighs approx. 200+ more pounds than an equivilant chain drive tiller, and cost less than any other tiller except CCM's ....

KK XB Tiller

View my Photos
AngryViking

2005-04-12          109739

The KK II 48" tiller is a pretty heavy tiller, a little over 600 lbs I think. That might be right at the capacity of the BX2230 3 pt hitch lift capacity.

I have been looking for a tiller for my subcut. Befco makes a 34" model that offsets, quoted $1300. Woods makes a 40" (GTC40) that Woods recommends for subcuts, quoted $1250 and $1200. Woods also has a 52" model (GTC52), quoted $1289. The Woods rep I spoke to said you could run the 52" model on a subcut but it may struggle on land that has never been tilled before. I believe Bush Hog makes a 36" model for subcuts and cuts, it was the most expensive at $1400. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login