Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tillers And I thought choosing a tractor was tough

View my Photos
cherymax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-11          96232

Man oh man, are there a lot of tiller choices or what?

Is a #60 or #80 hardened chain (JD's terminology) the same as ASA60 or ASA80 chain (everyone elses terminology)?

I like a tiller that's compatible with JD's I-match system, but not if it cost me a grand.

I was all set on the JD's 647 tiller until I saw that it had a #60 (assuming that it's the same as ASA60) final drive chain... That seems awful small... everyone other tiller I've looked at has ASA80/100 chain.

Then I came across gear drive tillers (woohoo another choice :)) CCM looks to have pretty good prices on gear drive tillers. The only concern I have about CCM is the lack of a local dealer/parts department. Although I have been impressed about the CCM folk's remarks here (I think here) in these forums.

I've been to TSC and I'm not really impressed by the quality of there products...

Here's my thoughts: I have a 4110 hydro and I want a tiller to atleast cover my tracks ~50" wide.

CCM MR-145........ Support/parts? 49" $895.00 495lbs Great price BTW

Frontier RT1150... still an option 50" $1900.00 323lbs
Frontier RT1250... still an option 50" no price 427lbs
JD 647............ lack info on #60 chain 48" $1671.00 350lbs
JD 655............ still an option 55" $1900.00 436lbs
Landpride RTA1050. too much money 50" $2167.00 383lbs

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MiikeJD
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-11          96258

I have a 4210 John Deere and I bought a Worksaver Inc. tiller from Buchheits farm store locally. They are made in Litchfield Illinois. Their web site is www.worksaver.com The tiller cost around a thousand. The John Deere dealer wanted two thousand for the same size. This tiller does a great job. ....

View my Photos

2004-09-12          96280

cherymax

you may want to check out the Kutter brand that
Fleetfarm carries i bought a 4 foot for $1100.00
when it was on sale. it is gear driven and has a
slip clutch which i would recommend if you are in
rocky terrain i would suggest you not consider
chain driven, unless you have absolutely flat land
with no rocks,roots,etc
they also make a 5 foot model i am guessing that
it would be about $l500.00
i have worked very very rocky land for about 75 hours
now with no problems to get parts you can probably
go right to Kutter i have not needed any yet, but i
do expect to eventually need to replace broken or worn
teeth
good luck
doc ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-12          96292

Take a look at woods and bush hog units. Not sure on prices but they range from light to heavy duty in many different sizes and configurations. ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-09-12          96294

Hey Oneace (Tony), How you doing today ? I have thought a lot about you but have been busy with my new building!
just hope your doing well!
Dean ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-09-12          96296

Things seem to be picking up nicely. I was having a rough time with allot of things going on at one time and just broke down. With the help and advice form you guys things are looking good. Thanks for all your feed back. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-13          96323

We've had great luck with the Kuhn tillers and they do build them small to large with many variations to suit your needs. Everyone seems to enjoy them and enjoy the job they do. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-09-13          96324

Cherymax; Your comment about Land Pride being too much money. Yes, their equipment is pricey but once you use it you won't mind the extra cost. When I need another piece of equipment I don't even shop any more, I just go get a Land Pride. I use an RTA3576 on the 4410, yes it's a load for the Deere, but that tiller means business. Just my thoughts. Frank. ....

View my Photos
drh1983

2004-09-13          96390

I just sold my Landpride RTA1550 tiller and bought a KingKutter 72" tiller at TSC for $1174 on sale w/slip clutch.The main reason was to cover the tire tracks.
I had to tighten the chain 3 times on the landpride in 2 years,you could hear it slaping,other wise it was a good
tiller.I have put on about 8 hours on the KingKutter and the only problem I had was the gear case cover bolts
came loose. I have hit big rocks,stumps,roots and the
tines have never bent just put small nicks in them.
I have been very impressed with this tiller....just wish I
had more power now..don't we all?

View my Photos
cherymax

2004-09-16          96605

I just got back from lookin at/for tillers:

Here's what I think now... :)) (changes by the day)

After I heard they made gear drive tillers, I pretty much gave up on chain... not that I have any knowledge or experience to suggest that chain drive is un-satisfactory. Just one of those things that I think I need I guess. :)

ccmachinery returned my email... the CCM MR-145 is out-of-stock until Nov.

King Kutter: 48" tiller
slip clutch included ---------- excellent
8" tilling depth -------------- excellent
$1058.00 at TSC --------------- excellent
weighs ~600lbs ---------------- excellent Heaviest by far
gear drive--------------------- excellent
6 tines per flange 6 flanges--- excellent
2 unknowns:
Does Weight = durability? I'd say yes but not sure.
Country of origin = ?
Hurricane Ivan is visiting us so I couldn't get a good look at it.
If I can confirm that this KK tiller isn't from China... that's the one for me. Any negatives on the KK I need to know about?

Went to Woods dealer and Kuhn dealerships no tillers there to look at.

Woods, Estate series, GTC52, chain drive, 6.8" tilling depth, 478lbs, $1250.00

Kuhn, EL32-130, chain drive, 496lbs, 6" tilling depth, $1625.00

Hardwood I didn't mean to imply that Land Pride was over-priced. But for my application... putting in flower beds... small gardern... 2+ grand is too much money. My dad has a LandPride RFM on his 4610 and he has nothing but good things to say about it. ....

View my Photos
cherymax

2004-09-16          96610

O yeah that KK tiller was a King Kutter II any input on the diff.? ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-09-16          96632

You will get no negatives from me on the King Kutter II tiller.
I've had my KK 60" tiller for close to 5 years now, tilled lots, use it often and have never had a problem.
Tills good, works good, price was right !!
I repainted my tiller to match my tractor last year, King Kutter is not known for great paint.
But paint doesn't make it work.

View my Photos
JParker

2004-09-16          96637

I don't know about the King Kutter II, but I have a gear drive King Kutter. I know they do have a smaller line made for the BX size tractors. They even painted them orange. You may want to watch out for them, they are chain drive. Like you, I don't know gear drive is stronger, it just seems like a better idea. Tractor Supplys in VA had both 48" models for $999 this past summer, so I chose the gear drive model.

My B7800 is about 60" wide. The way the 48" tiller is designed, it is offset to cover the right tire track. May be a way to save a little money unless you are tilling a very large area and need full width coverage.

I accidentially used mine as a rock crusher when I tilled up a new area for a garden. It literally chewed up some of the big ones into little ones with no damage to speak of.

I'm not a geologist so I don't know what type of rock it was, but it wasn't sandstone or something very soft.

I'm very impressed with the King Kutter so far.

-jp ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-09-16          96640

Cherymax; No offense taken about the Land Pride tillers. I now understand your needs for a tiller are entirely different from mine. My need is to tear up soil for landscape reasons in a hurry, yours to create a fine seed bed for flowers. I've mostly parked it for the season and went back to the box scraper being the soil is super dry right now. Even with a machine that big, rocks as small as a golf ball make it jump and bang all over the place since the dry soil has no give to it. Frank. ....

View my Photos
cherymax

2004-09-18          96787

Let here your thoughts on this:

The KKII is a gear drive 48" tiller weighs ~600lbs and KK recommends a 20-35hp PTO.

Kuhn's EL62-130 is a gear drive 50" tiller weighs 646lbs and Kuhn recommends a minimum 25hp pto.

Woods' GHT52 is a gear drive 52" tiller weighs 572lbs and woods recommends a 30-50hp tractor.

KK, Kuhn, and Woods are all selling the same (almost) size/weight tillers. Their HP requirements, however, range from 20HP PTO to 30HP tractor(~25HP PTO.)

The part that confuses me is... JD says I can use a 55" chain drive tiller... but when we get to the same sized gear drive tiller, HP requirements run up to 30hp.

Now, I have a 4110 17 or 18hp PTO deere says it can take the JD 647 (47") of JD655 (55") tillers.
TG-48 48in 36 600 20-35 ....

View my Photos
cherymax

2004-09-22          97061

Ok I'm gettin the 48" KK in the morning. Thanks for all your input. I'll let ya all know how the 4110 handles it. ....

View my Photos
cherymax

2004-09-23          97090

Got the KKII 48" tiller this morning... unloaded it with the front loader, unpacked it, added the grease and oil. The TSC guy said 2QTs was enough oil to do the initial service. I bought 3QTs and that was barely enough.

You guys weren't kiddin about the paint. I dropped on end of the long chain on it and a piece of paint the size of a quarter popped off. There was no primer under the paint. But that may be good... I'm gonna try to scrape most of that yellow off the re-paint it JD green.

One of my big concerns was having it be compatible w/ JD's I-match system. Well after attaching JD's I-match bushings to the lower pins and doing a "test pick-up." I noticed that the upper attach point was keeping the lower pins from resting on the I-match hitch. So a litte rat tail file work elongated the upper hole by 3/16" installed a 5/8" bolt with the appropiate bushings and BAM I-match compatible... that makes me very happy.

I don't know if the drive shaft normally needs cut to length, but with the I-match system, PTO shaft length was perfect.

I tilled a test patch about 20 feet long... I was so worried that the 4110 wouldn't have enough umph... Well Hell that tractor barely know it's running the tiller. I'm gonna like this thing alot... The tiller in one pass made the grass covered dirt look like beautifully tilled soil.

2 attachment best buys for the "outdoorsy" type homeowner front loader and tiller.

Ok lastly... I haven't seen the dreaded "Made in Red China" sticker/stamp anywhere yet. The only parts I could see with a origin ID was the PTO shaft (Italy) and the tines (spain.) The side gear box is an "Omni Gear" gear box... I did a search and best I can tell...they're an Asian company.

Anywho... sorry to blabber on... Again thanks for all your help. ....

View my Photos
jimharr

2004-10-11          98095

I purchased a 5' KK II this weekend for 989.99. I was impressed with the way it worked. I too had to file the top link to fit imatch. My pto shaft is too short and have a call into KK. Makes yard work fun. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2004-12-08          101904

I know, old topic, but .02 is .02 for others who may read this.

I have a B2410 that I use for my horse farm, and needed a tiller, so I decided to look at what Farm and Fleet had. They carry all King Kutter stuff now, so I happened to show up when they had a sale on the tillers. I got me a 60" KK tiller, gear drive. I found that my quick hitch made the shaft too short, so I found a PTO extender and welded that to the shaft on the gear box. So far I have tilled about an acre of very hard rocky soil, full depth on the first pass with hardly a strain on the tractor, so it does its job quite well. As for the paint, well I have 4 KK attachments and everyone of them has lost some paint here and there.

One BAD thing about KK attachments, getting support from the company, very slow and they tend to dont give a crap. I sent an email asking where I can find touchup paint and they blew me off saying go to where you bought it, and left it at that. Hell if the place I bought it had the paint, I wouldnt be ASKING! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login