Go Bottom Go Bottom

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-08          73427

I was thinking about buying the kk 5 ft. tiller off of tractor supply,read mostly good things on here about it.Cost is 1,000 dollars,so you can't beat that,store is about 2 hrs away.I have a kk cutter and its been a good one so far,I'm assuming I can order parts for it the same way I have for the cutter?Anybody have a kk tiller? Richard

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

kk tiller

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-01-08          73434

Richard,
I have had a King Kutter II, 60" tiller for 4 or 5 years.
No problems , tills great !!
Some parts are availible at Tractor Supply .
All parts are availible through King Kutter at their website.

Link:   

Click Here

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-08          73439

Thanks DK, yeah I think I'll get it,the howse ones of that size,seem to be about 300 more,and weigh less,[not that that means that they are not as well made],its just that the kingcutter has more steel on it.The bushog ones are even more than that,I believe. Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-01-08          73445

The KK tiller has 6 tines per flange and includes a slip clutch.
I believe the Howse tiller has only 4. (Not sure if slip clutch is included or not) ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-08          73456

Sounds better all the time,just plan to use it on my large garden about twice a year,the grounds soft and no large rocks,I guess if you were going to be doing a lot of ground breaking with a tiller or useing it to till acres every year, a more costly one,[might],be the thing to do,I don't believe the howse has a slip clutch,just shear bolt, thanks again,Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
ALDALE

2004-01-08          73458

Richard,

I have owned a 60" KK tiller for about two years. It works fine with no problems. You can view the manual at www.kingkutter.com to see the initial setup and other info before you buy. If you buy, it would also be good to check the slip clutch by loosening it and check that it slips. If ok, then set it so that it don't slip under your operating conditions (or make note of the original nut positions and set them there).

Al

Link:   

Click Here

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-08          73461

Thanks Al,we'll see when I get it about that slip clutch,never had it before,might have some questions then about how to set it,I mean I know its to keep you from tearing something up,your clutch, but you want it so's it won't slip every time it hits a hard spot,hopefully it will have some kind of directions on that,if not I know where to come to,Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-08          73468

Richard, One more option to look at if you're interested in price is a used tiller. Just about all the used Yanmar and Iseki tractors from Japan seem to come with tillers. I guess the farmers all use them there. One place near here that sells these tractors had a bunch of tillers outside. I'm sure they could be had for a good price. They could be well worn out though too...
Dave ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-01-09          73499

CCM Gear Drive Tillers a great value at any price ....

Link:   CCM Gear Drive Tillers

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments kk tiller

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-09          73515

Yeah the yanmar tiller idea sounds good enough to check into,there is a place up around Charlottsville VA. that my neighbor bought his yanmar from,must be a pretty big place,I've never been to it,I'll call them,if I can find there number,Beverage equipment I believe, Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-09          73517

Do they have places that sell them about anywheres? If you have to have them shipped in,I bet the shipping cost would be high? Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-09          73528

Richard,
I see classified ads from 3-4 other places for these used tractors close by me. I'm thinking there are small time dealers all over the country but I might be wrong.
Dave ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-01-09          73531

Richard,
Be careful with Beverage tractor. My uncle went down there and got a Hinimoto with a bushhog (they had Howse and it was new) but the tractor looked real nice. Got it home and noticed leaks all over the place and looked like a lot of shady patch work. My cousin had bought a tractor down there earlier and it was a pretty decent machine, but once again he had to replace a seal in the front and rebuild the front end. I know that fixing the issues wouldn't be a problem for you as you seem quite handy with a wrench, but if you don't have to it would probably be better. I am also looking into the KK tiller, but will probably wait until the end of next season to get a better deal.
Good luck ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
hared1112

2004-01-09          73536

Has anyone had any luck emailing the CCM folks about their tilers? I've emailed them 3 times at the address posted on their website asking for shipping costs to my area and never received any reply. ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-09          73542

Kabota,Thanks for the info,my neighbor that I was talking about has had real good luck with his used yanmar,he hasn't taken real good care of it,I know that and its still running,he got it about three years ago,but its like anything else used,you just don't know,seems like he said he gave around 7,000 for it with fel,brushog and tiller,all four ft.,I'm not sure what model it is,about 20 h.p. I think,its a good bit smaller then my nortrac 25 h.p.,in size anyways,it has 4wd,but no roll bar,and that just about killed him this spring,he was cutting some pine trees down and one got hung in another one then he figured he would push them loose with fel,fell straight on top of him,had him pinned face to steering wheel,if his fel hadn't been up as far as it was it would have killed him,just lucky one of those limb stubs didn't spear him,took me and the 911 crew an hr.to get him out,he walked away.Roll bar would have stopped trees before it hit him,in this case anyways. Yeah used you never know,if the price was right and they offered a warrenty of some kind,it might be worth it. The 5ft kk for 1,000 at tractor supply already seems like a good price to me,price might go up instead of down? Unless you can pick whatever brand up,seems to me shipping would put the total price to high,probably cost a couple hundred to ship a 6,or 700 lb tiller? Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
lakeman

2004-01-09          73551

I have a KK 6 foot tiller. I put it through alot more than a garden and it works great. You should do just fine with it. ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-09          73557

Thanks lakeman,I will have one before spring. Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-01-09          73562

Richard:
I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify getting a big name high priced one, plus I really don't have the cash to be handing over like that. I think the KK tiller will be fine. I bought one of their carry-alls and have abused it on the old man's Massey. Nothing wrong with it yet.
I guess when you look used implements, some are good and some are bad, you gotta hope you get a good one.
Of course if your part of WV is like ours, seems like the only thing that grows real well is limestone rocks!!!!
Good luck ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-09          73582

Kabota, I know where your talking about,there is alota limestone rocks up around your part of w.va., you don't see em like that down here in summers county,there are no coal mines,[that I'm aware of] in summers county either,under ground or strip.Summers county is located inbetween Beckley and Roanoke VA.,about 1/2 hr. from lewisburg,which is in greenbriar county,where the statefair is held each year,the county seat is Hinton,pop. about 5,000,[I would guess,probably not that many],we have pipestem state park,bluestone dam and lake,bluestone state park,the greenbriar river and the new river run through here,they whitewater raft starting at hinton,two golf courses,many several thousand acres of public land,to go hunting on or hiking/camping,home of the john henry legend,you know that steel driving man,no 4 lane highways,no crime,[unless somebody gets drunk and shoots his brother],there are a total of 4 fast food places in hinton,2 grocery stores and a magic mart.You know,almost heaven? Thought I'd brag a little,everytime somebody says w.va.,somebody thinks coal mines,coal dust etc. You can also still afford to buy a house and some land here,we gave 65,000 for our place 11 years ago,nice older home with 31 acres,and hardly any rocks sticking up out of the ground. Prices havn't went up all that much since,unless you want a river front,and I can't figure out why anyone would want that,on the greenbriar namely,I think it is one of,if not the longest rivers east of the missisippi,that has no dam or flood control of any kind on,it starts up at spruce knob and runs into the new river here at hinton. Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
tk_csa

2004-01-10          73667

I have a 72" and a 48" kk tiller. I bought kk over other because, for a gear driven (NOT chain) tiller, I couldn't do better (price v. quality). I don't think they are less af a tiller because of the lower price. I think they are less money at TSC because they buy 'em by the truck load (qty disc and frieght cost consolidation. I think any brand would be less at TSC. ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-01-10          73679

Richard:
That sounds about like heaven, in my part of the state all the city folk are moving out here turning this place into a suburb of Washington D.C. All the local people can't even afford a house now and the farm land and orchards are disappearing fast. The city folk are turning our state into a mess. I live about 10 miles from the Charles Town Racetrack and since they have put those slots in, the roads are always packed. City people drive through the county like they are crazy, and always in a hurry!!!
My parents have a summer place up in Preston County and it is like you described as far as the peacefulness and no crime. I try to go up a few times during the summer and enjoy the peace and quiet. I stay away in the winter time (don't want to get caught up in all the snow up that way) except to clean off the roof to avoid a cave-in.
Of course I imagine you guys get your share of city folk down there for the New River rafting. ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-11          73716

KABOTA, we get a lot of tourist here in the summer,but it seems like there is no big rush of them,its just like a small all summer trickle,most of the rafts actually put in futher down the river,I live back on top of a hill so it doesn't affect me much one way or the other,but there is never a traffic jam of them at any time. I was born and raised in calhoun and roane counties,now you talk about almost heaven,there it is,If you like that sort of thing,about an hr. north of charleston,and an hour south of clarksburg,pretty close to Jessica Lynchs home, nothing there but trees hills and small slow creeks,that whole area,[middle part of the state,is like that,to far away from anything for anybody much to even know about it,if you had 50,000 dollars cash,you could go to that area and in a few days have a livable house,barn,pond,fences,probably free gas,on about 60 acres, Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-01-11          73752

That sounds very tempting with the average house price up here around $200,000 on a basketball court sized lot!!!
The only problem moving down that way is the jobs are usually far and few between. Then family is the other reason, 'cause I gotta show off my new toys to the family!!! I'm in a decent spot as the places around me have fairly large lots (for this area)and woods between me and all the neighbors!!! I got a tractor supply paper the other day and it got me to thinking about the tiller again. The wife threw the paper in the trash and told me I had all ready spent too much money on my tractor. ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-12          73760

I work at short constution type jobs generally and the old thing is a teacher,but you be right,ain't many jobs down here. That kk at tractor supply sounds good,for the price and being a kk,and the fact that many people now have told me its a good tiller. The only thing that could beat it would be a used one with somekind of a guarantee,I think I'll at least call that Beverage place before I go down to tractor supply,if they have a good looking 5 ft. with a 6 months guarantee,because thats all you would be able to tell,if it wasn't beat all up,and no oil leakage with good tines,you wouldn't know how it works,got to make sure the p.t.o. will hook up and turns at 540 in the same direction too. If you just bought a used one off of somebody that you didn't know with no guarantee then you could be in for a bad time, Richard ....

kk tiller

View my Photos
srekoj

2004-01-22          74746

Purchased a KK 60" from TSC and couldn't be more pleased. Sure beats a walk behind! I have mine hooked to a B7800. Make sure you follow dealers guideliness, especially concerning grease and dope. My unit came bone dry in both regards, as was mentioned in the instructions. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login