Go Bottom Go Bottom

quality of tillers

View my Photos
J. Sticht
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-04          37067

I have a JD4400 and am looking for a 5 or 6 foot tiller. King Kutters are inexpensive, but one implement dealer says that they break down a lot and you can't get parts. He says that the shaft on most other tillers is heavier and when a tiller has problems, that shaft usually breaks in the middle. The JD tillers are more expensive than the Howards but another dealer says he has a tiller made by the same company that makes the JD tillers. And how about the General tillers?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

quality of tillers

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2002-04-05          37071

You absolutely can NOT do better than a Howard, IMHO. ....

quality of tillers

View my Photos
dh

2002-04-05          37094

I think your dealer may be trying to sell you what he has. From what I have read the King Kutter tillers are very sturdy and I for one do not believe they break down any more than any other tiller. Any dealer should be able to get parts in case something does go wrong. They are made in the USA not in Italy as many of the others are no matter what brand is on them. I have not read one bad thing about the KK tillers.

Howard is a good tiller also as is many of the others. Just decide what you want to pay and go for it.

Good luck on your purchase.

quality of tillers

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-06          37113

J.Sticht,

Howard makes JD tillers. I found this out after I was fool enough to spend a few hunderd more for the green paint.

David ....

quality of tillers

View my Photos
DK35vince

2002-04-08          37197

I have had my king kutter tiller for only 2 years now.
But so far it has worked great!!
And a 60" tiller for around $1000 i think the price was right..

quality of tillers

View my Photos
MarkS

2002-04-09          37212

My LandPride 1558 has been a very good tiller. Have had it for 4 or 5 yrs and no trouble yet A little pricey maybe, $1600 for 58", but built very solid. My local rental yard uses them for their rental equipment. If they can stand up to rental abuse I'm sure the average guy would have good luck with one. My 2C worth ....

quality of tillers

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-10          37251

The better tillers built offer slip clutches on the drive and other than having to beat a few stone out from time to time with a little lubrication should not be your troubles. Tines are built differently, the most common is a c type. There are others, and they do use different hardness of tine which would give longer life. The other part is how they mount and other than 1 or two bolts per tine you also have mounting location that will make a difference as to the potential shearing of the bolts that hold them on. Other than that they are nearly all equal. ....

quality of tillers

View my Photos
J. Sticht

2002-04-11          37308

Thanks to all of you for the info. I can't find anyone that has anything bad to say about the KK so I guess I'll go with that and save some $'s. ....

quality of tillers

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2003-02-22          49798

Please check out the CCM Gear drive tillers. 5'Tiller for $945 No Howard model can compare with this tiller. ....

Link:   Carter & Carter Machinery

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments quality of tillers

quality of tillers

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-02-24          49918

Although KKutters are U.S. made tillers, the majority of the drive system is made in China (gears etc.). Parts are a problem. If quality, features and H.D. is what you want, Baltic makes the Cadillac of tillers. There are a lot of cheap tillers. (Any tiller should last 2 years.) However, there are Baltic tillers out there still running fine after 25 years. Parts are readily available and it is a gear drive that drives directly in the center through a H.D. ring gear and pinion. It also has guage wheels and open ends so that there are no skids dragging the ground to wear out and replace. ....

Link:   Baltic Tillers

quality of tillers

View my Photos
C. Collings

2003-03-19          51440

Anyone got experience with Bush Hog Tillers? I'm looking at a 5' tiller and can't decide between the Bush Hog ($1629) and King Kutter II ($1250). Both have slip cluth.

Also from your experiences, is there a big advantage/disadvantage in the number of blade sets and blades/set? KKII has 7 sets w/ 6 blades each, Bush Hog has 10 sets w/ 4 blades each. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login