Go Bottom Go Bottom

help with buying used tiller

View my Photos
coloradotrout
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-08-15          133357

There is a used tiller down the road that I may be interested in. He's asking $500 and says it is orange; that he used is lightly for 6 years; bought it used from implement dealer. He has no idea what brand or model.

Any suggestions on what to look for? How can I tell if it's gear or chain? How can I tell if there is a slip clutch or not? Sorry.. I'm a novice at this; any help appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-08-15          133367

Your slip clutch is goes from the tractors power take off gear to the gear on your tiller.
I would ask to see it run. Listen to it run. Should be relatively quiet. Look at the tines under the lift gate. (btw) make sure the lift gate opens/closes and works properly. While doing that, check the cutting tines underneath it. IMO, I would count all the tines to make sure they are all there. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-08-15          133368

Also make sure they are not too damaged. All these points are ways to get him to come down in price.
You can still get a new KK tiller for anywhere from $1100 to $1600 depending on size. If you have to buy a slip clutch, tines hardware for the tines!!!!!!! etc it all adds up fast. (look at the KK web site and look at the PARTS for a KK tiller! The price on the hardware is phenominal!!!!!!(like $280!!!) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-16          133400

Like anything else, take it for a test drive. If he won't hook it up to his tractor, go get yours and try it. Listening while it's raised on the 3pt won't always reveal any internal problems, if any. Put it iunder load it may reveal a bad bearing, or loose chain, or other problem. If he's confident that it works have him prove it. Any reluctance for letting you "look under the hood", shake his hand and git! ....

View my Photos
coloradotrout

2006-08-25          133695

it's a Howard model 812B 40"

What does that mean?

It looks well used, oil around the transfer box; and what to me appears like the slip clutch (just before the transfer box) was hard welded together; though there seems to be a shear pin at that point. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-26          133707

How much of the tines are left? ....

View my Photos
coloradotrout

2006-08-27          133709

How would I estimate that? I do not know what the size of the original tines. If I had to guess, I would say maybe 50% left. Can I get replacement tines? I sent off an email to Howard to see if they recognize that model. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-27          133716

Many tines are the same width from the bolt holes to the end. To know if they have been replaced or how much is left gives an idea of how much use the machine has had. ....

View my Photos
coloradotrout

2006-08-29          133764

Art, thanks excellent insight. I should have taken a better look. Again, going from foggy memory.. I'd say they were at least 75% of the width, but the thickness was maybe 50%. My gut tells me to wait. It's a 40" and I'd really like 50" to cover my tracks. I'd want to open the gear box and chain box and inspect. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-30          133804

If it has a slip clutch there should be no problems with the gear boxes but here's how to tell and the best of paint jobs have trouble hiding this. Look at the bolts and nuts that hold the machines together and look for indications of a wrench that wasn't fully on and left a imprint. Often even with repaint the wrench marks are still there! ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-08-30          133806

If the slip clutch was working properly it would not have been welded together. Sounds like this unit may have had some use. IMHO there is rarely such a thing as a lightly used item for sale. My experience is that lightly used means "lightly used after I painted over the signs that it was heavily used". ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login