Go Bottom Go Bottom

Floor paint

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-02          56308

Does any one paint the concrete on their garage floor. I am wondering how big of a project it would be and if any one else has done this.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Floor paint

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-02          56317

I paint mine. It looks good, but to keep it looking good, you have to touch it up every now and then. It is best to work on new concrete before it gets oil spots, but you can even clean up old concrete and paint it. If the concrete does not have a vapor barrier underneath, then the paint may not stick very well in the long term.

It is fairly easy painting work. Get a roller with a long handle and it is just like mopping the floor. It goes quickly and you don't have to worry about drips.

You may want to leave a bare section if you do welding. Sparks and hot metal will burn the paint surface. You can sometimes take off most of the burn with cleaner, and you can always repaint the area again. Occasionally, I have had a spot when a vehicle wheel is pivoted in a single place on the painted floor. You end up with a little circle of what looks like tire track and stipped paint. It can also be repainted.

I am building a new building and I am thinking more about sealing the concrete rather than painting it. Sealing almost looks like varnish on the surface and it keeps the concrete from staining. I like the look of the surface. You can also treat the concrete with acids and other chemicals before sealing to get different colors to the floor. One of my favorites is an acid wash that leaves the concrete with a rusty brown tone and the sealer goes over that. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Murf

2003-06-02          56322

We painted the floor in the company shop, it wasn't tough to do, we used an 'airless sprayer' and it took basically one full day to clean & spray the whole place, about 8,000 square feet. Then it took only about 2.5 hours the next day for a second coat.

The shop at home is many years old and still waiting, it was full before it was finished being built. I keep meaning to do the floor, but I either have to do the 'great shuffle' and paint sections whilst moving everything around or moving everything out for a few days. Everyone I've ever talked to who painted by moving stuff around said they got more dirt, bugs, and foot-prints in it than they cared for, but then moving everything into the yard is not much of an option either.

Still, it sure is a LOT easier to sweep or wash the painted floor compared to bare concrete.

Best of luck. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56323

Mine is dirty with a few light oil spots. They completely finished out my garage when they built the house except for paint. The garage is 3.5 cars with a 18' ceiling and even has the same windows as the rest of the house. It has even been sheet rocked and taped. For 7 years I have been swearing I am going to paint the garage this year. Now the floor is dirty. I do not care if I have to re-roll it every spring I just want to get this garage finished and It seems finishing the floor some how would look nice and be easier to clean. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-02          56325

You said that the walls were sheetrocked and taped. Have they been painted?? If you are going to paint the floor and walls, protect the floor just as if it was carpet when you are painting the walls. You can spray or roll on the floor paint later.

You can clean the oil spots with solvent. Oven cleaner will work on really tough spots. Let the concrete dry before painting.

Sealing works best on new concrete where you dont have to worry about previous stains, because you can see through it. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56344

I would paint the floor last. Depending on how much you want to spend the best floor coat is a epoxy resin floor coat. VERY tough, lasts a long time and VERY expensive. Otherwise the ole' 5 gal. can of Battleship Grey floor paint with some nonskid mixed for some areas. Just have to repaint or touch up periodically.

Floor paint

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56346

I will defineately cover the floor and paint it last. How expensive is expensive and where can I find out about the epoxy resin ? Brands ? Web sites ?? ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56354

Lots of different brands anc colors, you'll have to compare. The link below can help get you started but there are alot of distributors to compare with. ....

Link:   Epoxy Floor Coating Link

Floor paint

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56356

Thanx, Have you used this stuff before ? Is it harder to work with ? ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-02          56360

Wow, Thanx for the tip. I am definately going to look further into this. It really is not that much more expensive and looks great. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56361

Seen it used at work in areas requiring very clean conditions. Depends on if it is 2 part or not epoxy. Good bit of floor cleaning preparation before application. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Peters

2003-06-02          56402

I agree with Chief a real good epoxi paint last far longer and is the only thing that I have found stays in high traffic areas.
There are some 2 part urethane systems that are used around pool etc that look great but may not stand up to oils. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-02          56412

Best part will be watching the dog try to get traction after you spook him. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
homedad5acre
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-02          56420

Regular laundry soap like Wisk works great on the oil spots before you paint. I used M.A.B. silver deck paint with a roller & stick. It's a whole lot easier to paint a floor than the walls & cieling. And after it's done everything cleans up easier. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-03          56430

It sure seems like it would be worth the cleaning of the concrete now for the ease of clean up later. I also like the way it looks. I was thinking about power washing with chemicals first. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-03          56505

I used to clean oil spots off of concrete all the time with solvents and followed that up with my pressure washer using a degreaser chemical. You could hardly tell the spot ever was there.

I used a variety of solvents over the years, but I would start with denatured alcohol from the paint store. It washes away with the pressure washer without polluting anything. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Murf

2003-06-04          56579

We use oven cleaner to clean the floor, it lifts the oil right out of the concrete, sawdust on top absorbs the whole mess so it can be thrown in the trash. No water required at all.

Best of luck. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-04          56634

now thats a pretty slick idea ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-04          56642

a good pressue washer and concrete cleaning soap solvent is all you really need. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56922

Doc, did you decide on what type of floor coating you are going to go with yet? Was just curious as to which product you selected and why. Wouldn't mind doing that in my garage too. ....

Floor paint

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-06-06          56929

Rust-Oleum makes an epoxy floor coating kit, which includes cleaner and color chips for contrast. But only two colors, gray or tan. It’s available at Home Depot or see www.rustoleum.com ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login