Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
chas1254
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-13          63770

We have been trying to decide upon a 30 HP tractor and could really use some help. We looked at the JD 790, Kioti LK3054, and Kubota B7800 all with 4wd and a loader. The Kioti priced out at 13k, JD at 13.5k and Kubota (only with a hydro) at 15.3 with a Woods loader. Each dealer says the others are inferior. The Kioti seems to be the best deal. We would appreciate feedback from experienced tractor owners, as this will be our first new tractor and a stretch on our budget. Thanks for your input.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-13          63776

You have come up with a tough choice to make as all 3 of these tractors/brands have a very good reputation and are good tractors. The short answer is that provided you have demo'd all 3 tractors extensively, you probably have an idea as to which tractor you like the best. That is the one you should go with.

Sounds here like you have a 3 way tie. I have owned Cub 154 Loboy, Kubota L245 , and currently John Deere 4410. The Kubota is a very good tractor which should hold up well. There are other memebers here that have much more experience with more current models of Kubota's and Kioti's so I will let them give their opinion.

I looked at pretty much all of the brands and went with the 4410 because of the ehydro but I very nearly went with a 790. For the dollar spent, the 790 is a VERY solid, well built, extremely reliable, basic tractor. Among the best you wil find anywhere. It's particular size and hp range makes a great choice for a multitude of tasks. The Yanmar diesel is one of the most reliable line of engines made.

There is also a huge selection of impliments and equipment made for this size tractor. Another prime issue that sold me was John Deere's logistic and service support system. It may be peculiar to my area but John Deere was the most plentiful dealerships for several hundred miles around. Most other brand dealerships have come and gone in my area many times over the years.

Another important reason and this bolsters my statement about logistics and service support is that before I retired from the Army; I contracted for 15 4710 tractors that are still in Iraq running strong with NO issues. During the contracting competition; John Deere was the only manufacturer who participated with on site demo's, tailored training and safety classes for the soldiers, and a customer support attitude that they would do "cheatah flips" to get us what we wanted along with their recommendations. We looked closely at the 90 series tractors, but went with the 4000 Ten series because of the mission and safety requirements that the ehydro and more powerful engine of the 4710 met.

Personally, I feel you will be VERY happy with the 790 or you may even want to consider the 990 depending on what your intended uses in the future will be. ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-09-13          63778

Any of the 3 should be a good reliable tractor.
I suggest you test drive each and see which fits best and has the features that you feel are useful.
Which dealer did you prefer ? ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
chas1254

2003-09-13          63783

At the moment we are leaning toward the Kioti LK 3054, mainly because of the features ie.. shuttle trans, which the 790 JD does not offer. The Kubota dealer was rather beligerant when we discussed the features of the Kioti, which was a real turn off. We have yet to test drive the 790 or the Kubota. Charles spent a day using a friend's LK 3054 stacking round bales of hay and was impressed with its performance. The JD dealer was too busy so we left before trying the 790. We are a little worried about the standard shift of the 790, as we will be using this for snow removal and some lifting tasks. The shuttle trans sounds like a better deal with us. There are only two Kioti dealers in our area which is a concern. DKVince, since you have a DK35 can you elaborate on their service and parts availability? Chief, thank you as always for your input. We have only just begun to decide on a tractor. We plan on making a purchase by the end of October. ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-09-13          63792

The only service I have needed was a small leak on the loader tilt cylinder when I first purchased the tractor which was fixed right away.
The tractor itself is just over a year and 1/2 old,185 hours has had zero problems,none..
The only parts I have needed have been filters and 1 wheel stud which I stripped (my fault).Dealer mails them to my house,quick, no problem with parts.
I would not hesitate to buy Kioti again.

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-14          63798

If you want a shuttle shift trans.; take a look at a 4310. Great tractors. I would suggest the ehydro. Once you try one for your application; you will kick yourself for not getting one sooner. ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-14          63819

The B-7800 Kubota is probably a good fit for the acreage you have. There are a ton of attachments for them and for the horsepower they are one of the most manuverable of those mentioned. It's hard to find to many people that don't like a hydro! ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
Peters

2003-09-14          63830

The other tractor in that price range would be the NH TC-30.

If you want a JD, I would also recommend the 4310 as an alternative. The 790 has dry brakes that I would not recommend as later in life they get to cost some money. They rust easily and if used hard will tend to fade as the drum heats and expands. The 3 pt hydraulics on the 790 is weak and I doubt that you would life a bale with the loader certainly not with the 3 pt. The shifting when using the loader can be a problem especially with the confined area near the seat.

Kioti has spent a lot of money on its part supply in the last few years and upgraded it dealerships. How they stack agains green I don't know but the large local one here just closed due to fraud so all are not perfect with green paint either. ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-14          63838

I was interested in the JD 790 because of the price several years ago but never had a chance to test one. After I bought my 4100 I finally saw a 790 and stopped to gawk.

Suffice it to say that had I ordered one sight-unseen, I would have been in serious trouble. Due to my gravitational pull and other factors, I simply do not fit on this machine. I could not even put my foot on the "gas" pedal without dumping the loader with my knee.

Bottom line: Don't commit to ANY tractor until you have driven it with all the bells, whistles and levers installed.

If your dealer cannot accommodate this precondition, as they say in Ireland, Give it a Miss!

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-14          63847

I dont think any of your choices are inferior. The Kubota choice seems a bit off as there base Kubota models with standard configurations that will potentially give you a more apples to apples comparison. The Kioti at least as far as price will be very tough to beat. I hear a bit of scuttle about them here and their but its never from any one who actually ownes one. The 4310 is likely getting out of the price range you are are shopping. I have a small JD now and plan to trade up. I doubt I will buy Deere again.I just find the dealer mentality a little mutch but then their machines fit me the best. The Kioti is getting very popular and I would have no qualms about buying a Kioti and the CK20 is a very nice machine as well. Like others have said the real story is told when you test drive them. Kioti has recently had 0% financeing as well as the others. Dave ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-09-14          63862

I have 11 acres and 6 horses and the 790 works great. Lifts full buckets of dirt or manure. I am pretty sure it willl move small round bales in the 700-800lbs range but I feed square bales. The biggest thing I've moved is a 600lb generator in a huge box. It was no problem a tall.

If moving large round bales is a necessity I think any of these compacts are going to be very tippy even if they lift it.

Otherwise tractor is great,good in the woods and around the barn and fields. I skid telephone poles 2 at a a time, brushhog stuff up to the top of the ROPS without the slightest strain on the motor.

With agood counterweight to overcome the tractors light weight it is a very competent puller/pusher. ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
plots1

2003-09-14          63864

I TO LIKE MY 790, GOOD STRONG MACHINE FOR THE MONEY. I DO A LOT OF GROUND BREAKIN WORK FOR FOOD PLOTS AND IT DOES OK BUT A LITTLE ON THE SLOW SIDE.OTHERWISE IT HANDLES ALL MY NEEDS FINE. ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
chas1254

2003-09-14          63868

Thank you all for your replies. The applications we will using this tractor for are snow removal, brush hogging, tearing down a wooden pole barn, and removing 3 tractor-trailer trailers that we were blessed with when we bought the property from my Dad. We have tried to give them away, but to no avail, so we are stuck cutting them up and hauling them out in pieces to a junk yard. So the tractor we choose will need to lift heavy objects. We need to stay in the 13k to 15k price range. Again, thanks for all of your help. ....

3 tractor comparison

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-14          63874

Hey guys! I wasn't running down your 790's. Just pointing out that you can't assume a tractor will fit until you hop into the saddle.

I will be the first to admit that not everyone out there wears a size 54 jacket(my wife says I make a better door than a window) and the 790 operator space is probably the right dimensions for 90+ percent of the population.

Conversely, I was comfortable on the BX (except for the ride) and other folks with different builds complained it was too dang small. Go figure. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login