Go Bottom Go Bottom

what HP or tractor should i look into for a hunting club

View my Photos
landrover man...
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-29          58533

hey fellows..... newbie to the boards and was very curious
if ya'll could offer some help in determining what size,name
and 2wd or 4wd tractor would be good for our hunting club.
we have 9 food plots ranging from 1/4 acre to 4 acre tracts with (700 acres).
i have in the past used a class 3 tractor from new holland
with a PTO tiller. thats a freebie when you have family working there.
i would very much like to own my own tractor. any help would
be greatful. i'm from ga.
thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-01          58626

Thirty horse, four wheel drive, and loader I would say would be the minimum depending on what else you might be trying to do there. That would put you at least into the weight of the Kubota L series which would mean little for limitations. ....

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-01          58650

As art stated, 30 horse 4x4 would be the bottom line ,with that much land to work I think you should look into something in at least 50 horse are more. you wouldn't be sorry.with 700 acers there no such thing as to big of tractor. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-01          58657

I suggest looking at the New Holland TC30 or the JD 790 to start. Both will fit the descriptions listed above which I agree with. I am sure Kubota has a similar tractor, but I am not familiar enough with their line to give you a model number to look at. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-01          58658

AC5ZO listed 2 good models in the 30 horse range, but I think your going to want more tractor then those two models offer.I have the 790 and i't is a great tractor for my 40 acers, but as I stated earlier for the size land your talking you are surely going to want a lot more tractor.those are real hard work machines but I wish I had gotten a bit more myself. ....

View my Photos
landrover man...

2003-07-01          58661

thanks AC.

might i ask, what price range do the 790's usually run
around? i still need to keep the tractor of size to go
down pine tree rows. we have some food plots at the very
back of our land and we have to drive down the middle of
pine tree rows.....
i've got a massey furgeson dealer who wants me to come
and drive one of their compacts. i'm not to familiar
with the newline of massey's.
thanks with all the info..

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-01          58671

I am not familiar with the MF line either. Many of the US manufacturers started out by importing one of the non-US brands and labeling it for the US market. As the market has grown I think some of the manufacturing has come to the US and only engines and parts are imported in some cases, but I am not completely sure of this.

You won't go wrong with New Holland, Kubota, or John Deere. A JD 790 costs around the $11K neighborhood. The price will vary depending on the options and so forth. The NH TC30 will be in the same price neighborhood.

I did not read your first post carefully about the 700 acres. I agree with plots that you may want more tractor, but your space limitation is also a concern. I went in initially looking at the TC30 and 790 tractors, but then I started liking the upgraded models. The final decision really came by selecting a frame size that was capable of doing what I wanted to accomplish.

Personally I bought a New Holland TC 45 which is a 45 HP tractor. It is made on the next frame size up from the TC30 and is only marginally wider, but has substantially more power. As far as I know 45 HP is the largest size available before you get into regular agricultural tractors.

I like John Deere and that is the main brand that we had on the farm when I was growing up, but locally I felt that I worked better with the NH dealer than the JD dealer. I ended up getting more tractor for the same money. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-04          58812

I am not sure I would buy a machine that big. I think 25 Hp is the Minimum and 30 the max based on your physical peramiters. Buying a machine that is too large is just as dissapointing as getting one too small. I was at my dealer the other day and there was a used 5220 out front that was traded back in with 65 hours because the fellow bought too big of a machine. There was another fellow ordering a 4310 just to mow a 2 acre lawn, he wouldn't listen to dealer who was politly trying to suggest a smaller machine. Also I notice that you are not maintaing sizeable plots. I do agree with the 790 choice but would also add the JD 4110 or 4115. I prefer 4wd with a limited slip as this allows you to get away with a slightly smaller machine in the woods. I have heard some of the New Holland boomers in this class are to be discontinued this year. I do not want to take anything away from a good tractor but I would not want to but a model that is about to be discontinued. I looked at massey quite a bit before I bought. At first blush they offer a nice machine at a great price. They are made by AGCO so they have AGCO financeing, If you need to finance at all that is where any AGCO product will get left in the dirt by JD or Kubota. Another thing to consider is if you intend to trailer it at all. I really think the most important thing is to test drive the machines. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-04          58821

My 790 is 4 wheel drive,and is small enuf to carve through the woods fine , but with 9 food plots, some as large as 4 acers. I still think a larger model would fit the bill better.allowing you to pull larger imps to make and maintian plots in a smaller time frame. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-04          58832

Depending on how many bells and whistles you like and budget. The John Deere 790 is a great but simple gear shift tractor, only draw back I see is dry type brakes but that is not really a big deal unless you manage to get them wet. Excellent tractor for the money spent. If you prefer hydrostatic drive and transmission modulation features that aid loader, pulling and tight space work with a few more ponies (hp) I would suggest the John Deere 4310 or 4410. For the type of use you specified, I would strongly suggest 4WD on any tractor you get. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-04          58848

I looked at some MF's the other day. The smaller ones are made by Iseki and appear to have a lot of borrowed engineering from Kubota. ....

View my Photos
rookie

2003-07-13          59437

Hey landrover man.
Where are your hunting Grounds? It sounds like it may be Somewhere south of I-20. I,m real familiar with problems with tractors and pinetree rows. Whatever tractor you decide on about 5 1/2 ft. to 6 ft. is about as wide of wheel width you can stand and a front end loader may be a problem when you are trying to get around between trees. ....

View my Photos
JerryG

2003-07-13          59440

"I looked at some MF's the other day. The smaller ones are made by Iseki and appear to have a lot of borrowed engineering from Kubota."

What is borrowed? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-13          59442

Hi jerry, I wondered if someone was going to call me on that!

Being a BX guy, the GC 2300 piqued my interest. It shares a whole bunch of engineering, layout and design features with my BX22, right down to the "backwards" engine.

It actually had some features I liked better. Like the Deere 2210 it goes head to head with the BX in it's market niche, but I must confess I do not know with came first, the BX or the GC2300.

Anyway, it was a nice unit, and I wonder why it isn't marketed more aggressively. ....

View my Photos
JerryG

2003-07-13          59444

Mark,
They do have some similar designs. But I am like you I don't know which came first. I would assume that both have been in production prior to coming to USA. ....

View my Photos
landrover

2003-07-14          59499

hey rookie.
i'm about 1 hour south of macon, down I-16.
i live in laurens county to be exact...
and yes, lots of pine trees in our area.
landrover man.....
(still undecided on which tractor i need)> ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-15          59528

You might if a gear tractor is good for you look at the L-4300 Kubota or the MX5000. Both are about the same size chassis as far as width and they are easy to drive with independent PTO. ....

View my Photos
rookie

2003-07-15          59536

I used to own a little Long 260c it was a 24 pto h.p. tractor and I did a lot of rough work with it. It was tough as nails. I had it for ten years and abused it in the pinetree thickets on a regular basis and never had a minutes trouble with it and when I traded it in on my Landini I got what I paid for it + $300.00
But as for your question on which tractor to buy,Cuz you just have to shop and figure which one melts your butter.Get the most tractor you can for your money and take care of it and it can last you a life time. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login