Go Bottom Go Bottom

How do you get stumps out

View my Photos
Roger L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-12          5016

To remove stumps I try to get a little up force or I push on them witheither the loader or the backhoe. Then while the bucket is holding the force on the stump I take an old chainsaw reserved for thispurpose and cut through all the dirty roots that I can find. I will even stick the nose of this chainsaw into the ground. Then climb back on the tractor and try to tilt the stump somemore.....repeat until done... Sure is a lot of work. Anyone else have a better way? Roger L.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Rob

1999-06-12          5019

I'm kinda new at this tractor business so I don't know if this is a better way or not...Visualize the stump in the center of a square box. I dig down with the backhoe on all four sides, usually moving the tractor twice. If the 'hoe can't break a root, I just move a foot or so over and dig again where the root is most likely smaller. I only had to actually dig on all four sides once, that was on about a thirty inch stump that had a ball about four feet in dia. once I got it out. I've tried to cut the roots, but for me it is easier to rip them with the hoe. I'm also learning how to use the dipperstick together with the bucket to get some serious digging force. My total lifetime hours on a tractor is around 23, so I'll be interested in hearing from some of the more experienced tractor folks also. ....

View my Photos
Alan

1999-06-12          5023

I have a Kubota B2710 with loader, no backhoe. I've only tried to pull two stumps and gave up on both. I tried pushing and digging with the loader but neither stump would budge. One was about a 6 inch honey locust stump about a foot tall, the other a bois'darc about 10 inches in diameter and only about a foot tall. Power is not a problem, but all four wheels spin and I get nowhere. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this, I just assumed I needed a bigger tractor for such chores. I don't have any ballast in the tires. Just a 5 foot cutter on the back. ....

View my Photos
daryl

1999-06-13          5032

First of all you have to be smarter than the stump? ....

View my Photos
Alan

1999-06-13          5036

Thats probably the problem. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-06-13          5038

Alan, I don't think a bigger tractor is the answer, because I have a big JD thathas more loader most any compact....and I have seen it completely defeated by an 8" fence post sunk four feet in the ground. Of course for the fencepost the trick is to wobble it with the tractor and then pull it out with a chainand a half hitch. Stumps are harder for me to deal with. Yes, I have tried the old trick of attaching the chain to the stump, backing upto the stump, and running the chain over the tire and driving onto it. The amountof tension that you can put on a chain in this manner is incredible. It completely flattened the tire. This was heavy logging chain; I'm luckyit didn't break. The stump didn't budge, but I still feel stupid for even trying this stunt. If the stump had come loose, all that stored energy in the tire would have flung both the stump and chain halfway to town. Sometimes I wonder what makes guys do such crazy things .....? Roger L ....

View my Photos
mike

1999-06-13          5039

Rob's got the right idea. Usually by digging around the stump moving out if the hoe will not break the roots is the best way to get the stump out of the ground. Be patient and don't abuse your equipment, I've spent an hour on a big pine stump and ended up with a huge hole but I got the stump out without damaging tractor or hoe. Start maybe 4' away from the base and get deeper as you move in. Eventually you will break loose and be able to remove the stump. Patience, Patience, Patience ....

View my Photos
Dave

1999-06-14          5055

Do a search on the subject, both here and onthe farm machinery forum, this is an old discussion. I run a stump grinding service and spent year working construction. I have offer opinion on several occations before. If I can find the time I will try to come back and repeat them. ....

View my Photos
Brian

1999-06-14          5069

It helps if there is a tree attached to the stump :)Push on the tree as far up as your loader will go. move around to the other side and try again it you couldn't get it on the first try. Repeat as required. It amazing how big a tree you can take down like this... especially it you do a little digging around it first. ....

View my Photos
diggerdarol

1999-06-15          5142

I have a little (23hp) Yanmar excavator and have got a number of fir and cedar stumps out with it. I have found that in my soil digging around it and then tipping the stump off the resulting column of dirt/clay that it ends up on top of. Once tipped I dig more dirt off the bottom of it to lighten it and then I have it down to about 1000-1500lbs and I can tumble it along if it's too heavy to pick up between the hoe and blade. I end up with a pretty big hole. I take my time also so as not to abuse the digger or get hurt. If I had a lot of large stumps I'd probably rent a bigger excavator that can just grab them and rip them out. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-06-15          5149

First my comments to Brian: IMHO, Your idea ASSumes the tree will only bend and notbreak. One of the guys here at work was naturally bragging about his compact beingable to push trees out on a lot he's trying to clear for a house. Until the infamous monday morning, a tree snapped while he was pushing and not only went clear through his radiator/fan, but smashed all the lines,Ect.. that are mounted on the side of the motor, probably the fuel pump and lines. I think it cost him somewhere around $1700 bucks in repairs, plus 2 1/2 weeks in the shop unit all the parts came in & the dealer could work on it. Just another example ofa guy trying the fast & easy shortcut route. I would never wish harm to anyone, but it was kinda nice to hear. Especially afterhe laughed at me when I told him about digging out an 8" pine stump with only a pik and shovel.Although I won't be moving trees with my new loader (Ye Haw) till fall, I would like to think thatif my little 170lbs body can remove stumps with only hand tools, its time to re-thinkwhat your doing wrong when complaining about not being able to do it with a +1700lbs,+25hp loader.Sounds to me like a little patience, persistance, and common sense would go a long way in helping to remove those stumps.You may even consider doing a little of how things were done years ago, "Hard work & Manual labor"! ....

View my Photos
dick

1999-06-15          5161

If I only have one stump to remove I cut the tree to leave only about 2-3 inches of stump above ground. Then drill a couple of 1 inch diameter holes and fill with stump rid. Six months later it's all decaying and the lord takes care of the rest.When I needed to clear 5 acres I cut all of the trees and left 4-5 foot stumps.I spent $500 for a guy to come out with a D-7 equipped with a rake front blade.inside four hours he had most everything done and the ground had few holes left.It would have taken me most of the summer with a backhoe to accomplish the same results. ....

View my Photos
Kevin M

1999-06-15          5165

I have read all the posts on this topic and noticed nobody has mentioneddynomite.I realize you need a large acerage, expert application , and understanding neighbours, however it may be the fastest and most fun methodof stump removal.My second method would probably be going to a rental yard and acquiring a goodsize bulldozer and doing the work myself,if you can handle a compact loader tractor you can operate a dozer.Why take a chance with your pride and joy compact when it was not designed for this kind of work.It takes one slip upto cause hours of repaires, which translates to big dollers. ....

View my Photos
Steve Offiler

1999-06-17          5232

Sorry to chime in late on this one. A couple methods that haven't been mentioned yet:1) Cable method: Cut tree high, leave a good 5-6' or more above ground. Attach a sturdy cable as high as possible. Run snatch block to nearby solid object such as the very base of larger tree. Pull cable with tractor or better yet winch. Be absolutely sure you understand the mechanics of this arrangement and size the cable and snatch blocks accordingly. A snapped cable can kill someone.2) Stump grinder: pretty inexpensive to rent or to hire. Arguably the fastest and least invasive method (dynamite bothers the neighbors, rotting takes incredible patience).3) Burn them. Never tried it but read about it. Drill a bunch of holes in stump and fill with "isinglass" (whatever that is). This is supposed to put oxygen into the wood. Then start a charcoal fire on top, and let it go to town. Will smoulder underground for days and possibly weeks. Supposedly very effective.Have fun and stay safe!Steve Offiler ....

View my Photos
Mike_Va

2002-12-30          46715

Pulling stumps is tricky at best. A friend of mine tore out the rear end of his 4x4 Pick-up attempting this little feat. Pushing trees down can cost you more than the repair cost of your tractor. Friend of my fathers was killed from a tree top breaking off and coming down and spearing him. He was working "ALONE" and bled to death. I have worked in the forestry profession a considerable amount. My advice, Do watch what you are doing and "Never" work alone! ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-30          46718

If you have quite a few stumps to remove, hire someone with a stump grinder. It's not that expensive and very little mess to contend with.

Billy

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-12-30          46734

I have to agree with Billy and the others that recommended the stump grinder. Don't break your tractor on them. They can even be quite difficult when using a large backhoe. A dozer will work fairly well, but it makes quite a mess in the process or removing the stump.

I have heard that you can accelerate their demise by boring deep holes in them and putting salt in the holes. I haven't tried it though.

I usually just cut them off just a bit below ground level and fill in the holes in a few years after they rot.

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-12-31          46750

Stump removal is an art that has been around this world only a few years less than trees.

In a nutshell, the answer is.......whatever it takes, with what you have.

I have cleared a few fencelines in my days as a farmer, and have also cleared some woodlands so I could be a bigger farmer. I've used bulldozers, excavators, backhoes, loaders, shovels, hatchets, axes, chainsaws, and even explosives. I have burned, grinded, pushed, pulled, cut, drilled, choped, and used the Lord's name. But not in vain. I have never failed. But the bigger the tool, the faster success comes.

There is no easy way, or best way. It all depends on the stump, and it's location in relation to buildings, underground utilities, and available time, equipment and money. Prayer also is a valuable tool.

View my Photos
davegoodine

2002-12-31          46775

i've pulled two stumps with my compact and will think long and hard before i spend 2 hours on another..get out the backhoe and dig,dig,dig until you can roll it out with the bucket.. i'd never attempt a fresh 12" spruce unless you got all afternoon ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-01          46785

Don't know about salt, but black powder and later dynamite used to be pretty common ways to deal with stumps. A technique denied to most of us today, but it's a good statement as to the work and extreme measures needed to deal with stumps.

It's probably a good thing we can't play with stuff that goes boom any more. This fall some pros blasting on a highway project put a rock through the roof of our township building inspector. They were supposed to be using mesh.

It's good to know what trees are going to make the stumps. Many (most spruce and fir for example) have fairly wide shallow root systems. Some people have success digging on one side and cutting the major roots with an ax and then pulling them from the other side. Saves backhoe wear and tear if it works. Some trees have taproots and then cutting lateral roots isn't going to work. Worse still is that some trees form taproots but only sometimes.

I haven't bothered with the stumps in our bush but I have a 1" clevis that fits neatly on my draw-bar and the loops is wide enough to pass a grab hook through. I leave the clevis mounted if there's any chance I'm going to pull something so I won't be tempted to rig a chain to anything else.

View my Photos
paul m

2003-01-05          46986

get one pig and take a bar and poke holes around the stump. then put a cup of corn in the holes, then let the pig do all the work. dont laugh it works very well. ....

Link:   stumps

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-06          47020

That doesn't surprise me at all. Pigs sure can be single minded about their corn. I've heard that pigs are sometimes used in Europe for hunting truffles. I'm not sure who or what does the digging though. Maybe getting the truffles back from the pigs is what makes them so expensive. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login