Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dilemma anyone else go though this

View my Photos
Reggie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-08          4837

I've been wrestling with the idea of a compact tractor vs. a commercialmower for a couple of years now. To tell you the truth, I still don't havea clear decision. I have about 4 acres to finish mow (mostly flat) on myproperty, and will have to do my mother's 1½ acre lot as well (my father has recently passed). Right now, I have an old 10HP, 36" Wheel Horse that takes about 6 hrs. to do my lot. The tractor is fine but the deck is on its last season. There is a newer 14HP, 48" Simplicity at my mothers that runs fine. As far as attachments, I have a walk-behind snowblower and a blade for both tractors. The only other attachment I think would be useful would be a loader, maybe a backhoe. So my objective is to have something that will reduce my mowing time, yet stillbe versatile, and last me till I'm about 80 (about 45 yrs). I see these Scags flying around with their 61" decks and think that's great, but where does the loader go? Then I see a compact tractor carrying a load of dirt and think, how fast can it mow? Any thoughts?Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Kevin_SC

1999-06-08          4839

I cut almost 4 acres with a compact tractor (5 foot finish mower) in just over two hours. Takes another hour to trim. A grass cutting (only) machine can't move rock, dirt, snow (for some), plow, dig fince post holes,...etc . Get a compact tractor! (My opinion) ....

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-06-08          4840

Reggie,I agree with Kevin. A compact with turf tires, loader, and mower deck or three point tow behind finish mower will do it all for you. ....

View my Photos
bo

1999-06-08          4842

It will mow faster then you'll want to drive it. With a loader and maybe a grading box you'll have more friends then any one needs and you'll be the envy of the neighborhood. ....

View my Photos
Jon

1999-06-08          4851

I have a 6', 3pt mower. Mow about 2.5-3 acres in about 1 hour. Could go faster but the deck I have doesn't cut well at higher speeds. ....

View my Photos
Alan

1999-06-08          4868

The tractor can mow but the Scag can't move dirt, till, etc. No dilemma in my book. ....

View my Photos
bob

1999-06-08          4870

I am going thru the exact same dilemma and here are the facts as I see them:1) A big ztr (Scag,Ferris,Exmark) is a highly specialized machine made for mowing and doing it fast. These machines also greatly reduce the need for string trimming around trees since they can quickly spin around a tree or shrub while really hugging it. Guys that make a living mowing big yards use ztrs not tractors. A ztr is also safer than a pto implement when used by tractor newbies and infrequent users like most of us.2) A compact tractor is infinitely more versatile than a ztr with capabilities for loaders, plows, post hole diggers, tillers, box blades etc and this versatility comes with a hefty price tag especially one with a backhoe capability.I have discussed this issue with numerous neighbors who all seem to be happy but took different approaches. One guy got a ztr because he mows 3-4 times a month but rents a compact tractor to occasionally grade his driveway and move dirt. Another guy got a new JD 1070 with all the toys and is ready for any acreage chore but he doesn't mow as often and it shows.I personally think the best answer is to own both and as soon as Ed McMahon shows up with the check I've got my mower and tractor both picked out!! ....

View my Photos
Paul

1999-06-09          4873

How about a Steiner turf tractor? 4 wheel drive, takes a big ( up to 72 inch ) front mount mower, takes a loader, snowblower, post hole diggger, etc, and seem to me to be well built. I decided against one because I wanted a rear pto, which the Steiner does not have, but it might be a good compromise because it is a better mower than a compact, yet does more than a ztr. They have a web site but I forgot what it is- anybody know? ....

View my Photos
EZ

1999-06-09          4880

Reggie, I mow 7 acres. My wife uses the 14 hp simplicity (a good machine), and I usethe real tractor with a 6 foot finish mower. The job gets done, but nothing mows fasterthan a heavy dudy ZTR. When I win the lottery, my first stop will be the Skag dealer. ....

View my Photos
bob

1999-06-09          4890

The site is www.Steinerturf.com ....

View my Photos
DB

1999-06-09          4893

Reggie,I have a similar situation. I ended up with a JD F911 for mowing and a JD 6x4 Gator for other chores. I do have access to a loader tractor with a rotary mower and post hole digger for heavier work. I don't use it very often. The Gator is used daily for mulching, spraying, picking up debris, fencing, or just riding around and the F911 is just a pleasure to mow with.DB ....

View my Photos
Bob

1999-06-09          4898

I did some commercial landscaping at one time, and the key to success is:>Get he job done fast so the labor is minimized>Get a Machine that does not cost too much and is simple to fix>Get a Machine that is light so the several can be trailered easily>Get a Machine that can be used on soaked grass in the rain or sun Lowest priority and actually "zero priority" is wear and tear on the operator, after all the operator is an "hourly employee" who gets $8/hour.If the Machine is for you I think you will find your priorities are significantly different and a good tractor is a good investment that you can use till you are 80+. ....

View my Photos
Reggie

1999-06-10          4926

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm going to check out a B7100 w/loader & 60" deck tonight. Now I need to find out about home equity loans. ....

View my Photos
Lee

1999-06-12          5024

At work the grounds folks have two to mow acres of lawn. The guys love them and they turn on a dime. I've seen them mow around an 8" tree without backing up. They look expensive, but built to last.Lee ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-06-22          5392

Maybe a little late to be posting, but your dilemma is understood well.Our 12hp AC (42" Deck) took 6-7 hours to mow 2 acres, due to constant stopping and turning around what feels like a million trees in half the yard(Wooded), an old style fence around the entire property, plus half the yard is nicely sloped.A zero radius mower would be king, probably reducing mowing time in 1/2. But Ihad to have a loader and something that could handle things like a post holedigger. Our tight turning JD4100 has been a great compremise so far. No regrets. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login