Go Bottom Go Bottom

Newbie changing implements

View my Photos
Alan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-28          4451

OK this is really embarrising, like reading directions or asking directions. Any of you have any pointers for changing out 3-point implements easily? Should you connect left then right then top, or right then left then top, or top then left then left....? PTO first or last? Basically I'm talking about a Rhino rotary and Rhino finishing mower. I spend more time changing out the mowers than doing the job. Also need help from my wefe to guide the lower links to the pins. I keep having troubles, especially getting those pins out of the stabilizer bars to take off an implement. BTW, my tractor is a new Kubota 2710HST.I used to change out implements on an 8N when I was a teenager and don't remember having all that much trouble. I have lost the touch or just don't know what I'm doing anymore I guess. I'd like to get where I can change back and forth between the mowers without being discouraged to the point where I don't want to do the little finish job tonight because I need to do rotary mowing tomorrow.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
A.J. Wodack

1999-05-28          4454

I don't think there is an easy way of putting on a 3 point implement, I just start with either side which ever is closest, hook the two lower links, then go to the top link, at this point I can lift the implement to align the top link. and last hook up the PTO. When removing the implement I just reverse the procedure, and use my big foot to boot the lower links off. There is also a "quick connect" you can use I guess they are around 200.00, I've seen them, but never used one, so I don't know if they work all that great or not. I just like the extra work I guess. It also helps if your on a flat hard srface where you can move the implement or tractor to align the lower link.
AJ's BigBird Farm

View my Photos
James Dominici

1999-05-29          4456

Alan,A. J. is correct on all counts but this may help. On light implements or ones that roll easy (most finish mowers) just start on one of the bottom links first. Also, It has been my experience on a dozen or so different tractors that if you lower the bottom links just below the implement pins it usually isn't difficult to pick it up by hand a little ways. (It will only let you pull up) I agree that the little half an inch or so, off in any direction is a pain in the rear. One thiing you may consider looking at, not sure if its available, is telescoping bottom links. I have them on a 55hp New Holland 4630 and the 2 o3 inches of movement without being a hulk are just wonderful, especially with a heavy bush hog. Okay, my father in law is 72 and always has a regular hammer on his tractor just for knocking the pins in and out and knocking the bottom links off. This may scar up the paint but shouldn't hurt anything. You can always buy a can up touch up paint.Lastly, always grease your PTO shaft copiously. Tractor and implement. It is messy but can help alot.James ....

View my Photos
Paul

1999-05-29          4459

I got backed over from head to toe with an 8N. After having major back surgury I shouldn't even be on a tractor. But..... I had tocome up with a way to get yard work done. My wife thinks our 15 year old is to young to use a brush hog so I get to. I simply park it under a swing set and use a come along to support the front end. This allows me to adjust for any errors in my driving. If you got the room to do something like this it works great. Don't give upthe tractor gremlins are just trying to get ya. ....

View my Photos
Kevin M farmer

1999-05-29          4483

Beg, borrow or steal a chunk of metal bar or pipe 4 to 6 feet long,it makes a great pry bar for moving heavy objacts an inch or two. ....

View my Photos
MChalkley

1999-05-30          4512

There is one easy way: The Freedom Hitch by Midwest Industries (800-859-3028 for direct orders, if your dealer can't get them). No I don't work for them, but I ought to. Everybody that sees mine goes out and buys them. Like most anything, of course, you have to pay for them. But I'd never go back to putting 3-point implements on the old way again, I'll tell you that. You still have to hook up the PTO shaft on implements that require it, but the rest of the process is reduced to about 30 seconds to put it on and 15 seconds to take it off. If anybody has ever tried these and NOT liked them, I'd sure like to know why. One note: The product I'm talking about is called Freedom Hitch, not QuickHitch or anything else. The QuickHitch, now also sold by Landpride, is junk, IMHO. I've got one I'd love someone to pay me 10 cents on the dollar for. ....

View my Photos
A.J. Wodack

1999-05-30          4516

Mark,Do you have a link on the net for Freedom Hitch, and what does the Freedom Hitch cost?Thanks!
AJ's BigBird Farm

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-05-30          4520

The Freedom Hitch is made by Midwest Industries of Ida Grove, IA. I don't think they have a Web site. The Freedom Hitch is sold in two parts. The male part stays attached to the tractor 3 point all the time. It costs about $200. You then buy a female part for each implement. These cost about $200 each. The up-front cost may sound high, but the end result is absolutely wonderful as Mark C has indicated. The only thing you may have to do in changing from one implement to another is adjust the length of the top link to get the correct angle for the mating parts. I have installed FH on all of my implements and really like it. No more prying, hammering, jumping on and off, swearing!!!!!! This is the way to go if you really want to eliminate the hassle of attaching and detaching 3 point implements. ....

View my Photos
Rich

1999-05-31          4523

I solved my problems with a Quick Hitch (Speeco $149.5O on sale). I know some guys say its junk, but I have had no problems and it works like a dream attaching a rotary cutter. I had to modify the top link on my mower slightly and machine down the flanges on lower links adapters that came with the hitch. It also works with a dirt scoop. It may be junk, but it cured my 3pt nighmares for a very modest price. ....

View my Photos
MChalkley

1999-05-31          4550

Finally someone else who's used the Freedom Hitch responds! I'm glad to hear from you. Most of what I'd heard before was flames from people who'd never even seen one. I was beginning to think the only people who liked them were folks in VA who've gotten them after seeing mine.I agree that the up front cost seems high to those who haven't used them, but I think it would even out in Band-Aids, aspirin, Ace bandages, and Ben-Gay over 10 years or so. Now if your time, disposition or religion are worth anything to you at all, well, about 3 or 4 implement changes and you're ahead of the game...BTW, have you had to get jam nuts to put on your pins to keep them from loosening? I've had to do that or use Loc-Tite, or the pins work loose and start wiggling. ....

View my Photos
MChalkley

1999-05-31          4553

Yep, I'm one of those who thinks they're junk, but I'm truly very glad it works for you. (Thank you for not taking it personally.) It's less expensive, and that's a benefit I'll readily concede. BTW, if you're ever in eastern VA, let me know -- you can have mine cheap. (And I don't mean that sarcastically or flame-wise at all.)My problem with the QuickHitch was that I use 10 or 12 different implements and every one of them except 1 or 2 were going to need modifying. And some of them were going to need major modifications. Plus, the first one I tried modifying was a very heavy duty tiller, and even when I got it to mate properly, it would jump out in heavy soil. So, I looked for and found an alternative. But, as I said, if the QuickHitch will work for you, it's a less expensive way to go, and I'm all for that. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-05-31          4567

Mark--I have not any pins loosening in the Freedom Hitch parts. Do you mean the Cat I pins (7/8") that are sometimes bolted cantilever style to the implement? Most of my implements use loose Cat I pins that pass through tabs welded to the implement on both sides of each lower tractor draft link. Nothing to loosen with this style. I also mount the FH flanges as close as possible to the implement structure. ....

View my Photos
Rich

1999-06-01          4577

Good to hear about your experience. I must admit that during the couple of weeks that I fussed with the damn thing I too was thinking it might be junk. You are right about having to modify everything and I guess I was just plain lucky that I had a mower and a scoop that could be modified. I got out cheap in the case of the mower ($20 for machining the lift pin adapters, but I dont know how much the modifications on the scoop are going to cost me. I was a little concerned at first about the mower jumping out but it has stayed secure even in tough going. I recentlly saw an ad for something called "3PT EASY HITCH" ($124) sold by Stevens Tractor in Coushatta, Lousiana. It looks like they would work on all implements without modification, and would not permit jumping out. ....

View my Photos
MChalkley

1999-06-01          4589

If you get any more info on the "Easy Hitch", I'd sure like to hear about it. I've got too much invested in my Freedom Hitch setup to switch, and I'm very happy with it, but I'd be glad to steer the many folks who ask me about it to something less expensive if it's as good. ....

View my Photos
MChalkley

1999-06-01          4590

Yep, those are the pins I'm talking about. The ones that are used cantilever style. I kept having them loosen on me, even if I put them on with an impact wrench. Loc-Tite or a jam nut fixes it, though. ....

View my Photos
Robert

1999-06-05          4733

http://www.deltahook.com/ This is a similar system to the Freedom Hitch. I don't know anything about it, but there is a toll free number on the site. ....

View my Photos
Rich

1999-06-05          4735

Mark, the Easy Hitch is sold by Stevens Tractor Co. Route 1 Coushatta, Louisiana 71019 1-800-333-9143 ....

View my Photos
Robert

1999-06-08          4866

I checked-out the easy hitch sold by Stevens tractor. It is a pair of box type sections that attach to the lift arms. A "v" shaped knotch at the back slips over the lower pins on the implement. A vertical pin goes in behind the pins on the implement. It appears to be a good deal, and at $125, the price is right. I think I will order one, and try it. If it doesn't work well, I think I will get the Delta Hook, it appears to be a little heavier duty than the Freedom Hitch. Delta Hook is $264 each, tractor section and implement sections. ....

View my Photos
Robert

1999-06-15          5164

I recieved my Easy Hitch today. Works well, but the implement and the tractor should be at the same elevation (level). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login