Go Bottom Go Bottom

Should I buy a large compact

View my Photos
Jonathan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-20          4095

I've read through many of the threads on this site begun by "what size tractor should I buy?" I thought I'd start another one anyway, because my proposed uses for the tractor may put me in the larger size compacts, which don't seem to get as much discussion on the forum. My wife and I are buying 85 acres, with 30 of it open, the rest in hardwoods and ponds. The current owner leases the 30 acres to a local farmer, who plans corn, beans, etc. My wife and I plan to "hobby" farm for now, growing hay, fruit trees and wine grapes. At the same time, we need to maintain a drive, remove brush, and "improve" some of the landscape around the house we're building, thin trees, etc. We don't plan on cutting and baling the hay ourselves, but I'd like to be able to run a small square baler if we decided to give it a try. I also don't plan to use the tractor for work that is better accomplished with a full-size backhoe.Anyone with similar tasks that can offer advice based on experience? Though I like saving money as much as the next guy, my "free" time is limited, so I prefer to buy a new or slightly used tractor that won't become a maintenance nightmare.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dick

1999-05-20          4112

You sound like a good candidate for an L series. The 2710 probably isn't enough tractor. ....

View my Photos
Jason

1999-05-20          4117

I notice alot of tractor owners and buyers on here talk about price, brand tractor, and size. For those that are not technically inclined, like myself, I recommend you buy from a parts/service oriented dealer that will be there to take care of you needs, i.e. warranty work, maintenance parts, repair work. Service, to me, is definitely worth something. Consider this when you go to buy equipment. The dealer who is $500 higher might be worth it!! ....

View my Photos
greg

1999-05-21          4137

the kubota L4310GST is an excellent choice. remember one thing if you buy toosmall its always a problem. i am going thru the same questions you are.kubota is the only maker that offers a compact with 37.5 hp at the pto, enoughfor a small baler.i have researched this question for 2 years. my choice may not be the cheapest choice but it is the safest. hope my views hlep yourdecision a little ....

View my Photos
David

1999-05-21          4151

I'm going through the same process as you. Slightly different requirement but about the same size works. I had it narrowed to L4310 Kubota and JD 4600.I tried the Hydro and I think the edge goes to Kubota on that. I found I didn't(Flaming can start now) like the hydro as much as the JD Powereverser or evenKubota's synchro tranny.Without the hydro I think the edge went to John Deere. Resale is Better, Parts long term avilability is better, financing was better, and for my location the dealeris better.Look at a similar thread about Compact Utility Tractors above. General consensesgave JD the edge.David ....

View my Photos
Jonathan

1999-05-21          4159

Thanks for the tips, Jason and Greg. I looked at (and tested) the Deere 4000 and leftover55 series earlier in the week, and then the larger Kubota L's today. If facedwith a choice between Kubota and the Deere 55 or 70 series last year, my choice would be easier. Deere appears to have narrowed the technology gapwith the 4000 series. I won't get into the Deere/Kubota debate, but do y'allthink a tractor with only 28-30 PTO horsepower (i.e. the 4300/4400 or 3410/3710)would be too little? I don't want to be in the market again in another year or two. Still, the price difference between a 4300 and 4600 (or 3410 and 4310) is significant, especiallyon the Kubota. (I think the dealer in town is pricing at "list".) The Deere dealer is not. Anydrawbacks of buying from an out-of-town dealer and then calling on the in-town dealerfor service? I wouldn't do it for a $500 difference, but $1,000-2,000 makes methink about it. ....

View my Photos
Tom

1999-05-21          4167

Jonathan: I to am in a situation like you and this is what I found. If you want to hobby farm 30 Acres than you need an ag tractor not a compact, even a large compact isnt heavy enought. All you need is about 35 PTO HP to run a baler but a baler is inconstant motion and a lot of the motion is trancfered to the tractor and on a light weight tractor its hell to sit there very long and eventualy you will shake a lighter tractor apart, and unless you have a huge amount of time do things like plowing and disking, a bigger tractor is definetly important. I have both a JD4400 and a JD2755 (75HP) and 40 Acres of farm land. My recommendations:If you can afford it, buy both an ag and compact tractor and rent the equipment.If you can't afford both and you really might farm it, get an AG tractor and rent equipmentIf you think smaller, buy a compact (they are a lot of fun) and keep renting to a farmer (I do this now and then and do a 50/50 split of the profits and have none of the work, and you could make a tidy sum on 30 acres of corn or beans)If you plan Hay type crops, plant Alfalfa, its a little more work and a little more expensive but a lot more profitable.If you want to discuss more, fell free to Email me. Tom ....

View my Photos
Lee

1999-05-21          4172

Even if you are technically inclined, you definately want good support. The stuff breaks and can do so in a manner that most people won't want to deal with it - ever split a 5,000# tractor in half? Not fun. Go visit the shop before you buy and see what the dealer is up to. I've seen dealers who will take a tractor apart in a hurry w/all makes and models being worked on and others who seem to justwork on lawn mowers. The latter kind of makes me wonder what you will get if you tractor gets sick and have to go to the "hospital." Dealer size doesn't seem to matter in what they work on - I've seen small ones doing more big tractor work than larger dealers down the road. I've also seen dealers who seem to work on pro-farmer stuff and it makes me wonder if a small timer or amateur would get the same level of attention.Lee ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-21          4179

Tom has hit it right on the head. You are talking about a serious farm here!Lucky you! I think that you will be best served with a regular Ag tractor. The compacts canbe described as a lightweight tractor with lots of horsepower. You need the samehorsepower, but in a heavier package. IMHO, you should be looking at the JD 5000series tractors rather than the 4000. The price and size is not that different.But the 5000s are heavier duty machines. A plus side is that a lot of the things that are extras on the 4000 seriesare standard on the 5000s. And remember that this tractor will last you for along time. It is not inconceivable that you will own the tractor for as long asyou own the farm. Not that you can't do it all with something like a JD4600.....but it willtake a lot longer on the smaller machine. You are going to get to sit on thetractor a lot. Roger L ....

View my Photos
dave

1999-05-24          4243

I found that many dealers quote a list price or a "high" price but will dicker to a fair price.I like to dicker. So I spoke with a number of dealers dickered to the best price, found the best dealer and offered the best dealer my best deal. They took it. ....

View my Photos
Chris

1999-05-31          4522

You could always go with the new holland 1920 33 HP which should cost about 15,000 it can mow the lawn and do the work all but the hay bailing its not a hydro but it has the sync shifting. If you want to make hay go with the 2120 it may be just what you need to do a little of both. Im getting the 1920 as soon as I can afford one.... ....

View my Photos
Curtis

1999-10-18          8898

I have just traded a 1999 Kubota 4310 HST with cab for a 1999 Kubota 6800 4X4 without cab. I own 40 acres and the 4310 could not handle a 6' bushhog cutter without mowing in low range at just over a walking speed, it also did not have the weight to do any loader work other than just moving piles of dirt. The 4310 is just too light for most serious farm work. The 4310 is a good tractor for a small farm but for the amount of acreage you have, go with an ag tractor, also I also learned that unless your farm has no trees you will be unhappy with a cab tractor, it's easy to duck under the limbs without a cab, but with a cab you can't mow close to trees with low hanging limbs unless you do a lot of backing up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login