Go Bottom Go Bottom

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Alan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-16          3883

My wife & I just bought 24 acres of land - about half woods and half mostly pasture with many smallish mesquite, honey locust, and cedar tree. I know I will need to mow that half, dodging trees and whatnot. We need to spend money getting water, building 800 foot driveway etc before we can build.I know I would like one of those compact 4wd Kubotas with loader at some point but the cash is real tight right now. I grew up on a 8N tractor and I know it will hand a big bush hog with ease, I can buy one with the mower for about $2,500. My wife wants the Kubota NOW because she can drive it. But one of those big enough to mow 12-14 acres in a reasonable amount of time is out of my price range at the moment. I figure I could write a check for the 8N and get the place mowed. I would have to finance the Kubota that I would want - such as the B2710. I could get the Kubota later and then we would have 2 tractors - "his" and "hers".Anybody have any comments on this strategy?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-16          3888

What I can't understand is why she could drive the Kubota but not the Ford? Theyare approximently the same. But regardless of how much sense your plan makes-andthe way you present it, it does make financial sense...are you sure that youreally want to turn her off to tractors and projects? Roger L. ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

1999-05-17          3901

In my opinion, anytime your wife supports the idea of a new tractor you should jump at the idea. In my experience, often times wives are not as supportive as yours when it comes to the purchase of a new tractor. They often times suggest that you purchase a lawn tractor like the ones sold at Fleet Farm, Coast to Coast or Tractor Supply, to maintain your acreage.You are married to a saint. Take her out to dinner after you buy the new Kubota. A year from now she might not feel the same way about a new tractor. ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Mike

1999-05-17          3908

Buy the Bota now! Finance, long term loan, beg, and borrow. The 2710 should be able to handle everything the 8N can plus the loader work.... and with two of you able to use it, more help for the work. I had to junk and old Massey, let the field and yard grow waist high, and then let my wife mow the front acre with a push mower before she said "Buy it NOW". That was all it took, min Boomer should be here wed. ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Roger_M

1999-05-17          3934

My wife must also be a saint, but she does draw the line somewhere... The only thing she insists on is that all the implements must match the color of the tractor...-RM ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
paul

1999-05-17          3944

If that 8n is in sound mechanical conditon, that is a very good price for one with a mower included. You could make money buying & reselling it.Your plan makes much more sense to me with all the big bill you have coming, but I won't dispute anything anyone else has said, since I've only been married 3 weeks....--->Paul ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Alan

1999-05-17          3951

Well now yall have got me wavering now. What I failed to mention is that my wife is 4'11" and has a hard time getting in my 4WD Suburban. Plus the 8N manual transmission linkage is pretty stiff, plus I remember having to pretty much stand on the clutch. No power steering either. I haven't driven any of the modern compact tractors but from what I read, what with the hydro trans and power steering they are much easier. Why, I'll bet you wouldn't even break a sweat mowing 12 acres.On top of the money for the tractor I'm gonna have to get a trailer to haul it on since I presently live 6 miles from the land, and there any structures on the land yet.By the way, this forum is invaluable. I probably spent 3 or 4 hours reading it over a week or two before posting my own message. What I gather is the that big 3 are about the same, depending on the dealer. ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Jay

1999-05-17          3954

Alan, You certainly do have the correct strategy, however I must point out that the Mrs. has you by the family jewels and you will end up doing it HER way. ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Jay

1999-05-17          3955

MIKE, Which boomer, what stuff, and how much? ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-18          3963

Yep, it doesn't happen too often that a fellow can give someone else advice andjust pretty much KNOW that he is right. You are right to reconsider on this, andno matter which way you go, you have my congratulations for at least thinkingabout opinions that differ from yours.Since you say you haven't driven one of the new compact diesels I think you arein for a surprise. Even a smaller one than you are looking at will outwork the Ford by quite a margin in most every way. The exception might be plowing, whenthe Ford's larger tire and weight might enable it to win out. Loader work is nocontest. The 4wd really shines and the Ford is poor at best. Either one can handle any 5 foot bush hog made. Driving an old ag tractor is....well.....I like mine, but I'll admit thatit does handle like a "tractor". My compact diesel handles like a go-cart. Besides, if you really like those old Ag tractors - as I do - then you knowthat given a year's time you will run across several for real cheap. Every farm needs to give a home to a couple of old tractors.... Roger L ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Brian Webber

1999-05-18          3965

Your plan seems sensible to me. It is a new tractor though. Remember building a house is stressful on both. How much work are you going to do yourself? The kabota and you could certainly put in a drive way. Either way good luck. You are lucky to have a good wife who doesn't mind a tractor purchase! Most men would give something up to be in that position. ....

8N vs Compact tractor

View my Photos
Lee

1999-05-20          4082

After I got my new Kioti, I could get my wife to drive it some. I was never successful with the old Allis I had before. From everything I've read in the past, is that women really like a hydro as it is more intuitative ("gas peddle, like a car). That is something to consider. Anyway you cut it, the compacts are great! They manuever very, very well and the 4wd will get you into and out of places a 8N could never consider. You will also have something with all of modern hydraulics & standards that will also make buying attachments in the future alot easier (see the drift here ...). One point. If money is an issue, you might want to consider 2nd hand. While still expensive, I've seen relatively cheap prices on some later model Fords. Don't expect too much of a discount from "new" for late model Kubota's, Deeres and the like, though.When my wife agreed on the tractor - I moved quick! She has seen the results a modern compact will provide and I don't think she'd balk at an attachment expense now. 'Didn't say a word when I drove in with the box blade in the back of the truck.Lee ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login