Go Bottom Go Bottom

3PH vs Belly Is 3PH so easy

View my Photos
Greg_Pa
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-14          3815

I am new to tractors, and was about to get the 3PH finish mower based on ease of removal and installation, blade sharping, etc.. After reading the posts below on the hammer and such needed to install cat 1 implements doesn't it sound like there is no difference in ease of install between beely and 3PH?Please help me, it seems that if the install is the same the shorter length of the Belly would be an advantage.TnxGreg

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Mike

1999-05-14          3818

I debated the same issues over and over. I have used both in the past, but was concerned if my wife had to use it that the belly would be easier for her to handle.....if it was on. The troubles posted about hooking up a 3pt hitch usually only happen the first couple times. Once everything is lined up, they really do go on pretty simple, even my wife can do it. A belly would have to be droped and hooked up from under the tractor, and dragged out from below it. It depends on where you'd rather be working; under the tractor, or in the wide open behind it.Go for the 3pt. ....

View my Photos

1999-05-14          3819

I don't use a hammer to attach any of my 3PH implements. I don't think they're necessary. What I do is to back the tractor the best I can to get near the hitch. With the arms floating and the tractor in neutral, I lift one arm to the right height, grab a rib on the tire and pull the tractor backwards until the pin and hole lines up and push the arm onto the pin. You rock the tire back and forth a little and the pin will easily slide on. You have great mechanical advantage to move the tractor by grabbing the ribs on the tires. The center link (upper arm?) is extended to meet the attachment pin. The other lower arm can then be brought in or out by adjusting the center link. I have a 24HP Yanmar so you can see it's about an average sized compact. One of the key items is that it has a gear transmisson, not a hydrostatic. If you can get a hydro into a free rolling neutral, there shouldn't be much difference. ....

View my Photos

1999-05-14          3834

I opted for the 3pt based only on price! I have no problems hooking a 5' King Kutterto my 4100. I have no idea how easy the belly mowers go on and off. My dealer told methat they were pretty easy, with the way the loaders are I would not be suprised if a threeyear old could do it. The only problem is manuverability. It takes a while to get usedto the amount of swing you get in turns. I think manuverability would be a little betterwith a belly mower, but the turning radius is still not what you would get out of a lawntractor! If I had the money to spend I would have gotten the belly mower! ....

View my Photos

1999-05-14          3837

Another advantage of the 3 point is that you can back under trees or over a stream bank to get a closer cut than you can get with a belly.The hardest part of getting the 3 point on IMHO is connecting the driveshaft under the tractor,It's a royal pain. newer mowers allow you to drive over the deck so you aren'tdragging it out the side.Another feature is better loader operation. the 3 point is out of the way and providesthe counterbalance you need.All that said, I prefer the cut I get off my belly mower.Choices, choices>>>>>>>>>>>> ....

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-05-14          3838

The posts about problems hooking up 3 point implements focused on rotary cutters. They only have one wheel in the back and weigh too much to pick up on the front. You have to bring a tractor to a rotary cutter with some precision. On the other hand, a 3 point finish mower is on four wheels. You can bring the tractor to the mower and then manually finess to allign the pins and top link. Parking the mower on a flat hardstand helps. Mostly, however, it just take practice. ....

View my Photos
al

1999-05-14          3846

i have a belly mower on my NH 1520 goes on fairly easily, i only take it off once a year,in the fall, put it on in the spring. gives a good cut .i have a 3pt rotary cutter, it goes on pretty easy a couple times a year, keep some blocks under the front edges of the mower, i use 2 bricks on each side, this allows you to get it hooked up easily, i like toe belly mower because of the short turning radius. the drive shaft is the hardest thing to hook up, harder than the 3pt. ....

View my Photos

1999-05-14          3847

I have a Kubota B1700. I use my loader to help me mount the belly mower. Tip the bucket forward and push up on a block of wood. Roll the mower under and drop the loader. Connect the spline/u joint to the midmount pto. Insert the side pins andraise the front mounting handle. Voila, the mower is attached in less than 4 minutes, no bruised knuckles, no driving over the deck. Then you can opt to remove the loader while mowing.Nice cut and no sore neck from looking backward. Fimish mowers have their advantages, but I prefer the midmountfor mowing. I can always use the rotary cutter for those spots I want to back into and rough areas where the grassis to high to mow. ....

View my Photos
cdf

1999-05-15          3853

60" belley mower, on or off in 3 to 5 minutes tops. I take it on or off once a week based on the job I'm doing. Mid PTO shaft-easy, hardest part....getting good at taking it on and off. ....

View my Photos
Mike

1999-05-16          3860

I agree 100%,I take the deck off and on our B2150 a lot,If I have the loader mounted I will use it to raise tractor a little,or if loader is'nt on tractor I'll drive over the deck.Right when front tires are about to go over front edge of the deck,is when I lock the brakes and hook up PTO shaft.Then let the front wheels go on over the deck,hook-up links and it's a done deal.It simply takes practice.I like mid-mount mowers because of more RPM's,.The only advantage I can see in a rear-mount mower;can take from one tractor to the next,period. ....

View my Photos
Paul

1999-05-16          3868

Get the 3ph my 13 year old has no problem hooking ours up you dont have the turning radius this is true but you havealot less "cleaning" up to do in the corners with the 3 phalso get a rear discharge for a more even dispersal of theclippings. Also you can use it on any color tractor you like. ....

View my Photos
Fred

1999-05-16          3877

The PTO shaft speed may be higher with a mid mount but the blade tip speed is no different on mid or rear mount decks. The gearing is just different. Blade tip speed is what matters not RPM. ....

View my Photos
Jeff in NC

1999-05-16          3893

The 3pt finish mower is EASY to hook up. It rolls really easy so backing up to correctly is not critical. (It provides a counter weight for the loader when the neighbor stops you to help move some dirt when you are mowing.) It takes some "getting use to" having the mower behind the tractor. The wife used the tractor for the first time a week ago after I had surgery and couldn't do anything around the house. She connected the finishing mower in about 5 minutes by her self and she is not real mechanically gifted. It took her about 30 minutes to get the "feel" of things. If I had it to do over I would get a 3pt rear discharge instead of the side discharge. I probably would NOT have gotten a belly mower even if it was the same price or less. That's just my opinion. However, the 3pt rotary cutter is a big pain to connect. You got to back up just right. (It will probably sit until I get well.)Jeff in NC ....

View my Photos
paul

1999-05-17          3940

I'm not so familiar with compacts, but I regularly hook up implements to my catagory II hitch, from the 7' snowblower to the cultivator to the plow to the sprayer to the 7' mower, and it only takes a couple minutes for these implements I can't possibly move by hand. Three point is certainly the easiest way to hook things up.I think the rear mower will be not quite as fancy a cut as a belly mower, but myself I would _never_ want a belly mower on a tractor with a loader.--->Paul ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login