Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-02-05          1027

I am curious about the field capabilities of these Compact Tractors, Some have lots of HP but no weight, others are high on weight but kinda low on HP. Does anyone know about any US based fiels tests that would give you a idea of what the machine can do under load?PS around here I can't help but see lots of B21's and L35's, but I never see antyhing lighter doing anything very tough.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos

1999-02-06          1040

Ted,Some of the agricultural mags have "hands on" reports, like what you might see in a car magazine. For completely unbiased, just the facts, kind of reporting, get a copy of the Nebraska Tractor Test results. This is performed by the University of Nebraska and any brand/model sold in Nebraska is required by Law to have had the test. The Nebraska Tests are performed on a whole machine basis - i.e. how much it will pull, pto hp, fuel consumption, etc. Variables such a wheel weights, tire type, etc are taken into consideration. The requirement in Nebraska is that any tractor test must meet or exceed mfgrs. claim as to the unit's capability.Lee ....

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos

1999-02-06          1041

Do they test compacts? ....

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos

1999-02-07          1052

I understand that anything advertising itself as a tractor that is over 20 hp must be tested if it is to be sold in Nebraska. I was over at their site last week, checking to see they had a listing of all of the stuff they have tested. Over on the Machinery Forum, somebody claimed that one of the Kubota L series had not been submitted for testing by the Kubota Corp. That made me suspicious of the claim, given that Kubota is a reputable brand and the Nebraska Labs have a testing facility in Japan. Unfortunately, I couldn't find such a list. 'Have an e-mail in to them, but still haven't heard back from them yet. Their homepage is as follows for anyone interested in checking them out further:http://www.ianr.unl.edu/ianr/bse/ttlLee ....

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos

1999-02-07          1058

I don't think the Nebraska tests include compacts. The Canadian Agricultural Energy End-Use Data and Analysis Centre has an on line search that says it uses the data from "Nebraska and OECD Tractor Test Data for 1995: Containing Test Data to December 1994". Searching this data base reveals a total of 271 models by various manufactures. There are 61 from JD, 68 from Ford/NH, 26 from Massey, 10 from Kubota, etc. When searching for under 30HP tractors only one is found, a Belarus. The Kubota's show only M-series, no L's or B's, Just the larger tractors. The web site is: http://eru.usask.ca/caeedac/tractors/tractordb3.htm ....

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos
tuc

1999-02-08          1068

I saw the same listing in Machinery Forum and called last week. I'm interested in a JD4100 (mostly because of a long drive and hills -- too much for a large garden tractor). Talking with the people there, the laws were revised either in the late '80's or early '90's to test only tractors over 40 HP. The rest of us "sundown farmers" pretty much have to trust forums like this and our own gut instincts. ....

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos
Jack W in IL

1999-02-09          1070

You are right about the Nebraska Tests. Compact tractors are not included. I have a JD4100 and operate it on hills. I also use the 410 loader and 60 inch deck. Following the JD recommendations I have 3-60 pound wheel weights on each rear and a ballast box with 750 pounds of weight in order to safely use the loader. The wheel weights also make the tractor much more stable and secure on the hills. It is also important to operate in 4WD when on the hills. It is especially important going downhill since the front wheels serve then as a brake. When in 4WD you can't turn sharply without tearing up turf. Also be sure the mower deck weight is carried by the tractor and not on the gauge wheels. This is to control cutting height and it also helps lower the center of gravity.The tractor is only 47 inches wide with turf tires and they can't be set wider. Use common sense and it will probably meet your needs. I am pleased with mine. ....

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos

1999-02-11          1096

Fred,I think your theory is correct. I just got an e-mail from them telling me that they didn't have any test data on my 30hp Kioti ('took them 11 days to get back to me. dang!). Before I asked them, I found a Nebraska dealer that carries Kiotis. Compacts must be exempted.Lee ....

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos
Ion BARBU

1999-06-20          5334

I whant rezult tractors test. ....

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos
Fred in Texas

1999-08-03          6560

I have a new Kubota 2710 and would be glad to share my experience. I bought the small sized tractor, larger than the normal lawn tractor or garden tractor with Front Loader, 5' Shredder, and 5' Box. In three weeks of infrequent use, clearing heavy brush and mowing/shredding three acres of 4-5' tall heavy weeds, I have bent beyond repair the Stabilizer arms. They were designed too light weight for the capabilities of the model, in my opinion. Local dealer is trying to warranty replace them now, but the same thing will happen within a very short time and then what? In less than 7 hours of use, these bent so severely that implements cannot be dropped or connected as that is the primary method of opening the hitch arms. It has been taking me 30-45 minutes of a lot of effort to drop or connect the different attachments for the 3-point. The front loader has worked great, even with no water in the tires. However, while it is in the shop for the Stabilizer arms, dealer is going to water the tires, so I am anxious to see how much better it will work with a little more weight. Also kinda of a gas-hog. I have used about 6 gallons of fuel in 7 hours. Is that normal? ....

Tractor Field Testing

View my Photos
art

1999-08-03          6565

perhaps dragging the mower on the ground and hitting stones or tree stumps is the culprit for bending of the stabalizer arms. if your arms are left unpinned it would allow your mower to swing free of obstruction rather than be driven into it while turning. The time it takes for you to change implements is well in excess of time nessesary. I would read the owners manual and check the proper procedures. The links that you bent are built quite a bit stronger than on the smaller kubotas and much like the larger ones, they offer easy fine tuning for adjustment. Iwould think they were not set up for the application. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login