Go Bottom Go Bottom

nt204c

View my Photos
simonwilhoit
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-10          172999

I resently bought a 20hp nortrac with a front end loader and bushhog. I would put against any 20hp tractor. It is built beefy and works well with a lot of power. The loader is slower than I had hopped but you can't beat the price of the nortrac's. It needs a little work but what used tractor doesen't.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

nt204c

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-11          173039

You sound like you're a proud parent...errr...owner.

So how many and what brand tractors have you gone head to head with that you came out the winner? ....

nt204c

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-11          173040

"A little work", can cover a lot of territory. We looked at a house one time the realtor said on the phone needed a little work. You get the picture. ....

nt204c

View my Photos
simonwilhoit

2010-08-12          173068

I have looked at Kubota, Montana, and Newholland. My freind has a TC 30 witch is a very nice tractor with all the bells and whisles, but he payed alot for it. The difference in price to how well the NT204C compares to the rest of them. It was hard to dismiss the nortrac's. Not to mention most of the other brands the smaller hp tractors where in the subcompact frame.Or where construction based which jacked the price way up. ....

nt204c

View my Photos
simonwilhoit

2010-08-12          173069

It needs a head light, air filter, and the cooliant hoses are showing some signs of dryrot. The seat has a crack in the top of it, and a good cleaning is needed, but other than that it seems to work great, and the body and fenders aren't beat up.On the house always have it inspected by someone you trust. ....

nt204c

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-13          173081

Actually the New Holland TC30 your buddy has is entry-level if it's about as old as my '02.

Technically, it is void of bells and whistles compared to the rest of the TC line. I have a TC33D. The D stands for deluxe. Deluxe standard features include: light package, suspension seat which can rotate, hydrostatic trans, automatic locking 4x4, modern styling (TC30's a few years ago were old-styling Fords and had metal hoods and fenders and rectangular headlights), all composite body and fenders, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, SuperSteer articulating front axle, cruise control, both mid and rear PTOs, guage package, tool box, safety triangle, extending/retracting lower hitch arms, hitch sway preventers, swinging/locking drawbar, folding roll bar to name some. Mine retailed at $16,000. Now they're $20,000 and up (no loader or implements) ....

nt204c

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-08-13          173090

What you're not considering though EW, is the current purchase price of a new NT204C is not much more that it would cost you to purchase and install a new NH loader for that Boomer. Even loader-equipped, the NorTrac still comes in under $10K

//greg// ....

nt204c

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-13          173091

Greg, my reason for saying that was that he was wowed with his buddy's entry-level New Holland and thought it great but was a lot of money--sort of like buying a new, 2wd, plain-Jane Chevy work truck not knowing that it also comes as a high-trim-level 4x4 dually Silverado with chrome and carpet inside.

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. I'm sure a guy somewhere with a Lamborghini or Porsche tractor is grinning. ....

nt204c

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-13          173092

BTW, before I bought the blue I looked at some Nortrac-identical tractors. For a time back in 2000 there were a several guys here in my locale selling them. One was a buddy. He showed me all the shall I say "differences" of Chinese v. other well-known brands. The difference was eye-popping. Build quality or lack of was an issue, as was crude mfg practices, antiquated engineering and use of off the shelf parts. And then was hard starting and overall loudness of the engine. The sheetmetal fit poorly and looked like it had been formed over a rock by hand with a hammer--not joking. A they were rusting while sitting on the lot!

I can get away with not spending big money on attachments because to mind they are disposable. However a tractor not so. ....

nt204c

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-08-13          173094

I think you missed the point EW. Despite the fact that the NT204 and the TC33D are in two completely different classes of tractor, in the end it's still a simple matter of "you get what you pay for". If one new tractor (in the same class) costs 1/2 the price of another, then you can reasonably also expect it to only be 1/2 as good. If the buyer is happy with his purchase, who cares what anybody else thinks?

Like you say - "perspective". I've owned 4 Chinese tractors over the years, and the current two - a compact 35hp and a utility 45hp - are almost bulletproof. I've said it more than once here, that - except for what they do to conform to the EPA mandates - these Chinese tractors are still based upon 1950s and 1960s technology. They're basic tractors that you can fix in the field with basic tools and basic skills. I'm thinking it might be hard to say that about a new Boomer.

//greg//

nt204c

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-08-13          173103

Sometimes this is hard to do, but I agree with both sides of the discussion. I grew up helping my Father overhaul H and M Farmalls, they were pretty basic as were all other tractors of that era, so I still can apreciate basic things I can fix myself. I still have a couple H's that are "Plow Ready", but aftr being spoiled by power steering, power brakes, modern hyraulics, etc. they get a lot of shed time.
When my first intrest in a compact came around the early 4XXX series Deere's were big news. I test demoed a 4100, it didn't quite have the power and loader ability I wanted, so I went off looking at other brands. At that time a local Chevy dealersship had an Asian tractor or two sitting out front, I can"t remember the brand. On the few occasions that I do agree with EW they were just a bit too basic, crude rough castings, and nothing on the decals I could read. so back to the Deere dealer, spent lots more than a like size Asian for a 4300.
The same Deere dealer is still there with readily available parts and service. On the other side of the coin the Chevy/Asian tractor dealer is completely gone along with any other Asian dealers I knew of.
Frank. ....

nt204c

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-13          173104

Greg, and not disagreeing but more to follow your line of logic: 1. You pay more to have higher expectation of reliability and quality. In my case that is true. I pretty much abuse mine commercially (recently pulled two 18,500 lb trailer loads of crushed stone into a back yard and dumped it--flawless).

2. Aside from the seemingly complicated electricals--to me anyway--there is nothing I can fix in the field per se. But that point is moot, because with better reliability, I don't worry about breaking down.

In the 8 years and 900 hard hrs of ownership, it has not broken down. (Knock on wood) ....

nt204c

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-08-13          173108

At the risk of becoming redundant here EW, that's just more support for the position I've maintained on Chinese tractors as long as I've been a member here. And it's no more complicated than: you get what you pay for.

//greg// ....

nt204c

View my Photos
simonwilhoit

2010-08-13          173109

The TC must have been a 33. It had all the options that was mentioned. It is a very nice tractor but not much bigger than my NT204C. The loader was faster but not by much.I see their is alot off debate on these tractors, but the funny thing is that alot of the smaller tractors. The big name brands. Use Chinese motors in their tractors.The motor in the nt's are the largest diesel manufacturer in China. You don't get there by building crap. I also know Norther tool has been around for a long time too.[as far as parts go]and dealership repair prices are crazy. I like to fix all my vehicles. Besides what isen't made in China anymore ....

nt204c

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-13          173110

A lot is not made in China. Japan and Korea, yes sir. I have never seen any equipment sold here made in China, yes they've tried but no go. ....

nt204c

View my Photos
simonwilhoit

2010-08-13          173111

I know JD's 40 hp and under has hade yanmar motors for years.Cub has teamed up with yanmar and are useing their motors now. Even Harley Davidsons are only assembled in America not made in America. I am sure the same goes for the big name tractors. To the cheapest bidder. Unfortunatly thats how business is.Do some parts research you may be suprised. ....

nt204c

View my Photos
sjrogers1

2010-08-25          173447

We just bought a new John Deere 10ft (HX10) rotary cutter. MADE IN CHINA. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login