Go Bottom Go Bottom

Nortrac NT254 Tractor Review

View my Photos
Darrelln99
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-11          157179

We have owned our NorTact NT 700 tractor for more than 3 years and it only has 45 hours on it. The low hours is because: 1) it has been in the repair shop for months and 2) like everything else, it broke. I just came in to write this review today because the starter just went out. Unless you can crack a transmission apart and our prepared to rebuild your entire tractor I'd recommend avoiding NorTrac.

I think the problem is more the "company" than the product. I bought a rototiller from them and it has to be repaired every season.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-11          157180

I'd like to see a photo of what you're calling a NT700. NorTracs are sold by Northern Tools, headquartered in Minnesota. And as far as I know, they've never sold a 70hp tractor. Besides that, the zero on the end (of NT700) would ordinarily designate a 2wd Chinese tractor. I think Northern has only ever sold 4wd models.

It would help if you would qualify your rant with a few verifiable specifics.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Darrelln99

2008-10-11          157181

Ranting would be to all the items sold by NorTrac, based on my experience, as junk and the those connected with the company rip-off artists... but, I won't go there!

You would have to ask your employer, Nortrac, why they placed an NT700 and NT254 stickers on the tractor... maybe in China they mean the same... lol

The tractor is TOO SMALL to be a tractor and TOO BIG to be a lawn tractor. It is a piece of junk in my opinion! And I'm allowed to have an opinion. Anyone who does their due diligence will find the same comment from others... too bad I only looked at the price tag and thought Nortrac was stood behind their products.

I did learn one thing (other than to avoid Nortrac).. if you want to know how reliable a tractor is... check the cost of the extended warrant.. the warrant from Nortrac was almost the same price as the tractor :-) ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-11          157182

I see now. You actually have a NT254 tractor with a NT700 loader. They don't make the tractors (or loaders or dozers or implements) by the way. They just buy Jinmas and Fotons from China, then stick NorTrac decals on'em.

It's becoming a bit more clear why you have problems with your purchases. The vast majority of issues with Chinese tractors are from buyers who didn't do their homework up front. These machines are sturdy and dependable and cheap - when they're properly assembled and subsequently well maintained. BUT, potential buyers have to understand that they need be either mechanically inclined, OR have a good mechanic on hand for regular and demand maintenance (after the warranty period expires).

I mean, you bought the thing from a catalog right? So do you expect them to come out from Minnesota and fix it for you? Look at it this way; if you wouldn't buy a new car from a mail order outfit, why should buying a new tractor be any better? Same answer goes to your complaint about the size too. It's not their fault you bought the wrong tool for the job. I too had a couple of 25hp Jinma tractors several years ago. I thought they'd handle whatever my 30 acres would throw at them. I was wrong - but it was my fault, not the tractors. I now have a 35hp and a 45hp, which I should have done in the first place.

Can't speak directly to the NorTrac warranty though. Far as I know, Northern simply outsources it. You should have gotten some warranty paperwork with both the tractor AND the loader, which identifies the warranty options in the geographical area of the purchaser. Some outfit in your part of California is supposed to have a contract with Northern to do their warranty to work for you. You paid for it - USE IT !

//greg// ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-11          157183

Greg_g,

I once owned a Chinese tractor.

I don't know much about the history behind the Rhino line of tractors, but I owned one of them.

The Rhino 180 had a 2-cylinder 20 horse diesel engine, with front wheel assist. It was equipped with a gear transmission, three forward, with a hi and lo range, and a creeper gear. (three different shift levers involved there) The tractor was dark blue in color.

After just 20 hours, the hour meter stopped working. The headlights quit working after about 80 hours.....just a guess. The fuel sediment bowl starting leaking after about 100 hours.

Now, I don't mind fixing things. In fact I actually enjoy doing the work. Fixing things is actually a whole lot of fun, and it provides me with a great sense of accomplishment.

What's frustrating beyond belief, is when a guy is willing to do the work himself, but can't find the parts to finish the job. After making a hundred or more phone calls, I was still not able to obtain any parts, from any source.

While making all of those calls, I was lucky to find a fella who was greatly interested in purchasing that tractor from me. Well, I ain't the smartest guy in the world, but I know a sucker when I meet one. I gave that guy a call back about a week later. The tractor was gone is less than a two weeks, and I've never once regretted letting it go.

Any information you might be able to share with me on the Rhino line of tractors would be greatly appreciated........just because I'm curious.

If you don't know anything about them, or don't want to take the time to provide any details, don't worry about it. I don't own the danged thing anymore, anyway.

Now that I have a Kubota, I can fix the thing 'til I'm blue in the face. There isn't a single part that I can't get for it, and the Kubota service people are always more than happy to help me with any information I might need. Talk about a joy! I wouldn't hesitate to overhaul the hydrostatic transmission in my own shop, if need be.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Darrelln99

2008-10-11          157184

As misguilded as your comments are, I appreciate them. Wrong tool for the job? Gee, is the job what makes the horn & lights go out? Is the job what makes parts FALL off? Is the job what makes the starter fail? I don't have 30 acres and if I did I wouldn't have purchased this thing! One would think that a company charging $15,000.00 would have national support, like Ford, GM, Fleetwood, etc, etc.. I sure won't make that mistake again...

Oh yes, and does the job make all of the fake crome fall off. Any way you cut it.. it is a piece of junk... ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-10-11          157186

Joel - I believe Rhinos were rebadged Benye tractors, imported by only a few dealers in the early days of the Chinese tractor business in America. Far as I know, none of them are in business anymore. But many parts on many Chinese tractors are compatible. It's a matter of learning which ones.

Darrell - there's nothing misguided in or about my post. That's simple experience talking. I've owned 4 Chinese tractors over the last 8 years. As I said, the first two were my fault - the wrong tool for the job. Too small. The two I currently own are dependable work horses. I however, soon learned to rely upon the dealer for parts only. It was a matter of distance (easier to fix it myself, than to haul/wait/haul). I do all the maintenance - preventative AND demand - by myself. And believe me, the preventative maintenance is positively worth it. The second biggest group of Chinese tractor complainers are those that don't believe that (or are too lazy).

Not everybody's cut out to do their own maintenance though, just as not everybody's cut out to be a Chinese tractor owner. No offense, but you've made it reasonably clear that you belong to the latter group. For the rest of us, that's why these help forums exist (yes, they're for something other than ranting).

Would I buy another Chinese tractor? Yes, for the moment they're still good value for the money - IF - you know what you're getting yourself in for. I'd take everything I learned from the first four, and apply that knowledge in making an INFORMED purchase.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Darrelln99

2008-10-11          157187

Greg - I agree with you. Would I recommend a Chinese tractor to anyone? HECK YES if you have owned 4, know how to crack open a transmission and willing to rebuild it yourself or have extra money and have a tractor repair shop on your block... otherwise, you are crazy (and/or lazy) to buy one...
enjoy ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-10-12          157203

Ok Darrell, now that there's a little less smoke coming out from under your hood - are there currently any issues with your tractor or loader that you'd actually like help with?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Paul161

2009-03-05          160803

Look at it this way, If you want excellent dealer support, go buy a John Deere, a Cat, M.F., N.H. etc, etc! The extra 20 grand or so might be of your interest. I have 5 American made tractors and their all in perfect running condition. I bought this Foton because it was cheap and no other reason. even though it is one hell of a tractor. You bought a Chinese tractor to save money and you'll never convince me it was for any other reason. So get over it and except the fact that things break and if you don't know how to fix them, then you have to pay someone who does! Most things break on a tractor for three main reasons. The parts have just worn out from use, the tractor was too small for the job or just plain piss poor maintenance. You have to walk around them and tighten up a bolt or two once in a while. They don't take care of them selves! ....

View my Photos
dhakar

2010-10-27          174793

I bought Nortrac 50 HP Tractor with loader and backhoe. Delivered on Friday, October 15, 2010.

1. The picture in the manual does not match the tractor. Their customer support alo agrees but can not help. The manual appears to be photocopy.

2. Within first hour the backhoe suction hose fell off. It took four days to get the suction hose. The clamps for the suction hose, as of 10/27/2010 are still backordered. I had to buy the clamps from a local auto part. Nortrac customer service can not provide the speifications for the back hose and clamp to buy it locally. I paid over $75 to refill the hydraulic oil in the backhoe.

3. After six hours of use oil level dipstick broke and all the engine oil leaked. Customer service wants to know the part number from the manual but it does not match with the engine picture in the manual. I sent the picture of the broken part. Custosmer service is trying to locate the part in America. They will not order the part from manufacturer in China. It has been two days they have neither located the part nor ordered it from the manufacturer. Tractor has only 6 hours total.

4. My advice Never buy a Nortrac Tractor. Very poor customer service for the tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login