Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Danny
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-01          9339

Guy's, some advise please. I just bought a brand new NH TC25D. I am having a small problem with the transmission though. Somtimes the hst range shifter will not shift out of the gear its in or will only shift freely through some of the gears. I always use the clutch to shift ranges. When it sticks I release the clutch then tap the peddal. Then the shifter loosens up and shifts through all ranges. Why is this happening? Can it be fixed or will it get better with time? What should I do? Has this happened to you? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-11-01          9341

Danny, I think you will find that's just the nature of the beast with compact tractors. Both of my Kubotas have been the same way, and so are the rest that I've heard about. I also have a cousin (named Danny) who is having a new NH TC29 delivered tomorrow (his first tractor ever) and the salesman has already told him about that. And you are shifting the range shifter the same way the rest of us do; release the clutch, tap the pedal, clutch again and shift (sometimes may have to do it two or three times). You'll probably also have the same situation shifting into 4WD. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Dean

1999-11-01          9346

I have a TC29D that does the same thing. I thought that it might be just the newness of the tractor. It has gotten a little better with use, but I still need to use the clutch and tap the pedal upon occasion.b27 ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
DeanQ

1999-11-01          9348

Danny,I have a TC33D and I never use the clutch. I only shift ranges at a stop though. I don't have any problems shifting ranges other than needing an occasional speed pedal tap to go into gear.DeanQ ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-11-02          9364

Danny,Hope I'm not talking out of context here, or missing your problem...Even our 4100 hydro sometimes requires me to apply a little pressure to the Range selector lever when shifting into low range, while lightly pressing the forward pedel. Same thing with my 5 speed car while shifting into reverse. Sometimes have to slowly/lightly release the clutch with a little pressure on the shifter, and it falls right into gear. I find the same effect disengaging the 4wd on the 4100, although I've found putting pressure on the 4wd lever while slowly pressing the "reverse" pedel pops it right out....Guess gear syncronization isn't all it's cracked up to be. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Rick B.

1999-11-02          9366

The reason the feathering of the hydro pedal is necessary & normal is because the gears are NOT synchronized. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-11-02          9369

Rick,Humm..If posting for Danny's problem:Danny referenced a clutch so I'm assuming he has a "gear" tranny, not a hydro.If posting for my reference to a syncronized tranny:I apologies for writting poorly, I meant to talk about Danny's unit..I "assume" they have some degree of gear syncronization. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Richard

1999-11-02          9377

Danny... I have a new NH TC29D. Never had any problem shifting OUT of a range, into neutral, but often cannot go from neutral INTO a range. A method that works for me, dumb as it sounds, is just to bounce back & forth in the seat a couple of times while trying to shift... the tractor will rock back & forth just enough to move the gears a bit, and let you shift ranges. See, I told you it sounds dumb... Try it anyway! ...Richard ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Richard

1999-11-02          9378

mls... Surprisingly, NH's have a regular clutch between the engine and the HST. FYI. (I have a TC29D). ...Richard ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Bob

1999-11-03          9386

Had a TC25D and upgraded to a TC33D for more hp; both machines exhibited what you describe and both responded to most of the remedies offered. Note -be careful when shifting on steep hills-you loose braking ability. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-11-03          9397

Danny; I have a JD 755 hydro. Sometimes if I step on the brake when going from low to high range it works fine. I thinks its just being on enough unlevel ground to put some resistance on the tranny, making it hard to shift. IMHODavid ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
RCH

1999-11-04          9418

Bouncing around on the seat is not so dumb. What your doing is moving the tires slightly thus moving the gear in the transmission on the output side so it will mesh. For example the owners manual on a John Deere 4430[a 120 hp tractor] recommends moving the steering wheel while stationary if you can`t get it in gear. This causes the rear wheels to rotate ever so slightly thus moving the gear in the transmission so it will mesh. The length of a 4430 is a factor that a compact tractor doesn`t have. Also a factor on the JD 4430 is its 2-wheel drive and the camber,caster,toe-in of the front-end geometry "wiggles" the rear axle more with cramping the front wheels. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

1999-11-06          9470

My new (41 hours) TC29D is the same. I never use the clutch, and I only shift ranges when at a full stop. I never have a problem shifthing out of a range & giving the speed pedal a tap will always line gears up to shift into a range. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-11-06          9472

I own a Kubota, but was with my cousin when his new TC29 was delivered this past week. The salesman who delivered it told him you do not need to use the clutch when shifting ranges, as Rick says; however, I read through the manual rather quickly to see what the differences were between the New Holland and my Kubota and noticed right off that the New Holland owner's manual says to use the clutch when shifting ranges. I find that rather interesting and sure wonder whether it actually makes any difference or not on either the New Holland OR the Kubota. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

1999-11-06          9473

Bird,I would suspect that if you not moving you do not need the clutch in either model. "not moveing" is probably the key.Rick ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-11-06          9483

Rick, I suspect you're right. I just wonder why the manuals on both say to use the clutch (no mention of whether you are moving or not). I always have used the clutch, but still don't shift ranges without stopping. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
MikeD

1999-11-23          10319

I have a B2100 and when engaging drive have similar trouble. Rocking in the seat or tapping the speed control works. It is not necessary to use the clutch except to engage the PTO. However, the use of the clutch while engaging the drive is recommended from a safety standpoint, especially if the cruise is engaged or speed control is not centered. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
JH

1999-11-25          10378

The gear range transmission in the compacts is not syncronized. This is why NH manual tells you to use the clutch (and yes it is a regular clutch) when changing ranges. The gear trans is behind the hydrostat unit which is why it is posible to shift gear ranges when not moving without using the clutch. Sometimes the gear dogs may not be aligned which is why touching the hydro pedal is sometimes needed to get them lined up to shift into gear. I've work for a NH dealer in Southern IL and I have had a few of the older compacts tore down. Generally this hard to shift thing is just the way ther're made. ....

New Holland trouble

View my Photos
Ron

1999-12-23          11432

I have the same problem with my 1530. If you go from any neutral all the way to the rear and then to desired setting, It works fine. Or as you do, shirt, fwd or back with hydro slightly and it will shift without fuss. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login