Go Bottom Go Bottom

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-27          92060

Im lovin it! Going to get some serious seat time this week! I am laid off for the next 2 weks starting In Aug. I have a few fields to get in the fall crop and have 2 new impliments I have never used that will get a work out this week. Did someone say chistmas? I sure feel like a KID again

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-27          92085

you go BROKEN, Sounds like your going to be a busy fella. bet your going to like that more than work anyway. ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-28          92154

Lmao
Yep! I work my help too hard though!!!! usually that means I am tired since I am usually the only one who shows up for work! Whats the chances of getting thru this weekend without busting into a ground hornets nest??
(I am serious) please answer? DEATHLY terrified of those hostile little warriors!!!! Last year I rototilled into a ground nest! LOL I was in an airconditioned (closed) cab!!! Unfortunatley when I got to the end of the row and turned around I did not see the help I had behind me picking rock anymore. I thought they took a break? LOL They were in the next food plot around the corner nursing theyr'e wounds!
So really! How often do you hit ground hornets when tilling land? I have a history of BAD LUCK! ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-28          92179

well so far I have not did that , but I have been warned from the neibor about it, he told me once he had to be takin in to ER for massive amounts of stings. WOW. run for the pond!!!!! ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-29          92199

I think I will keep the rattlers and you guys keep the hornets. ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-29          92232

Plots1
You could of left that part about your neighbor out! LOL
DRankin
Dont you guys have those killer bees where you are? LOL ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-29          92234

As far as I know we only have killer mosquitoes. ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-29          92236

OOPS sorry didnt look at the map, was thinking you were quite a bit south, my mistake. Suppose I would look like a total DORK riding the machine with a bee suit on eh? OH well must tough it out, atleast in a month or so they all will be dead!!!!! or close to it!. I have shot bears at 6 yards with my bow, dispatched raccoons the old fashioned way in a trap (no weapons), Walked miles thru total darkness in swamps and many other untold stories in some pretty wild places. BUT! Put me incontact with ANY kind of bee or hornet and I go totally ballistic!
I CANT STAND SUMMER!!!!!!! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!>>>> ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-07-29          92243

Broken, I took out my chain saw last weeekend after having put the chain back on. Decided to test it on a few trees. I was almost done when I decided to cut one last tree. The tree came down, I cut it in half when a whole swarm of hornets from within the tree attacked me. Worse thing was that I had to keep my composure while turning it off and setting down the chainsaw. Got about 5 stings on me. Thank God it was not my son cutting the trees who is alergic to stings. ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-29          92253

Really sorry to hear that and glad also that it was not your boy!
PS (that is why I never cut in summer) I could NEVER be a logger! My buddy is, and that happens often, the saw once stayed in the tree running. He say's you should see how pissed they get when the saw runs stuck in their tree. The worse thing is having to go back and get the saw he say's. Although it only took him once to realize it is easier and less painfull to get it out and off before vacating. NOPE not for me, I am a chicken little. lol ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-30          92290

We were clearing an old farm to make it into a golf course, there was about 5 acres that had been an apple orchard. The trees were all old, knarly stuff and almost everyone of them had a hollow spot containing a nest.

We ended up dragging the big tub grinder close and then using the big excavator with the grapple on it to just tear them from the ground and mulch them, trees, bees and all.

Take that you nasty little buggers.

Best of luck. ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-08-04          92653

A couple of days ago my wife was laying on a float in the swimming pool and was stung by a wasp. It left a nasty welp on her forehead. A mixture of Adolph's meat tenderizer and water (mix into a paste) will relieve the pain. It works almost instantly.

Occasionally, I run into a ground nest of bumble bees, but they don't seem to be as aggressive as wasps and hornets.

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-04          92654

Ted - For some reason I thought you were retired. Are you? ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-04          92668

I'm not sure if retired is the right word or not.

I had a heart-attack and had to stop working for a while, the business has been running so well without me 'at the helm' I decided to let them continue running things while I took a little time to enjoy life and pursue other activities. I now just show up for meetings, bids, site visits, etc., while I start a whole new business.

I am working about 10 hours a week, I used to work 10 hours a day.

A note to the wise, or the un-wise as the case may be, take time to smell the flowers before their laid across your chest!!!

One good thing about all this time off, I found out I married one heck of a lady, if I had known she was such a catch I would have done this years earlier, LOL.

Best of luck. ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-04          92679

Thats interesting! I think we can all at times have the ability to take advantage of life & our spouses. I have been trying hard this year to work a more normal hourly week. It used to be a minimum of 75 hrs per week. Now I do about 55. As you know the " green industry" can be very consuming of time. Last year my wife recorded one of my weeks at 92 hours. Its easy to do in this business. I have to concentrate not to let that happen. My kids were a large inspiration. I barley saw them last year as I would leave before they woke & return when they were already asleep. ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-04          92681

I can relate, we don't have any kids, it used to be a joke between us, she couldn't have kids, at least not without me being there.

My business used to be very quiet in the winter, so I would work my tail off all spring, summer & fall, then go south with the boat for the entire winter to our 'cottage' in The Bahamas.

My wife & my doctor put an end to that, thankfully before it was too late. Now the goal is to enjoy life AS it goes by.

Best of luck. ....

x-mas in Aug

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-08-04          92712

My worst bee story happened in 93'. I was weedwacking a steep hill at a condo complex. We used to weedwack it once a month. the grass was about 2 foot high. At the bottom of the hill was a road that lead to the condo complex, Not a town road. So here I am on a nice HOT August day weedwacking along & there was this Rhododendren bush in the middle of the hill. At this piont I was dehydrated & it was about 95 degrees out! So I started to weedwhack around the bush not seeing the basket ball sized white face hornets nest in the middle of it! So I hit the bush with the weedwacker & the first hornet charged at me & got me right in the forehead! knocked me off my feet & both me & the weedwhacked went tumbling down the hill into the road where I laid unconsious. One of my guys found me lying there & took me to the ER. I looked like frankinstien for about 2 days. The doc told me the white face is a pretty toxic hornet. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login