Go Bottom Go Bottom

Box Blades

View my Photos
kyvette
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-24          89276

What opinions do you guys have on box blades? Will a box blade cut sod or is it only used for grading loose dirt, sand, etc. Are they capable of shaping banks and or ditchlines? Do box blades have a depth of cut adjustment? The really important question will my TZ24DA handle a box blade? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Box Blades

View my Photos
BillBass
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-24          89277

A box blade with scarifiers (or rippers) will dig about any thing short of solid rock. Use the scarifiers to loosen the soil, then raise them to move it around and level it.
They make box blades in all sizes so there should be one to fit your tractor. ....

Box Blades

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-24          89302

kyvete; I don't recgnize the model of tractor you have but as Billbass said there is a size for everyone. I have a Landpride with scaifier teeth that will tear up most anything. I was really surprised when doing a landscaping job where I needed to get some topsoil from an adjoining alfala field how nice a job the box blade did. It did'nt clog with roots or top growth. I tore it up with the teeth down then retracted them and pulled the top soil over to the lawn, it worked really nice. Frank. ....

Box Blades

View my Photos
TomG

2004-06-25          89309

What a scraper will do depends in large part on the tractor tires and ballast. My 700 lbs. plus scraper is 1' longer than the tire tracks and I run unloaded turf tires. Many tractors have a better power to traction ratio. Mine is traction challenged at times but I prefer a lighter tractor and extra scraper width. It does cut sod in our sandy soil. I hold the blade off the surface with the 3ph, cut in both directions and then use the blade to pull up and collect the chunks. It might not work as well in heavier soils.

A scraper isn't really very good for ditching work unless one rear tractor wheel can drive in the ditch. Mine allows minor ditching since the blade is 6" outside the rear tires.

Scrapers are very good general-purpose implements. They will do most landscaping work but more specialized implements work better for many individual tasks. It's been said many times but a hydraulic top-link is almost essential for making a scraper really useful. ....

Box Blades

View my Photos
kyvette
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-25          89331

Thanks fellows for the followup. I have never used a box blade/scraper.

Hardwood, my tractor is the new NH sub-compact just released this year. It's HST, 4x4, 24HP with Cat 1 3PH. Tractor weighs about 1300 lbs and equipped with turf tires.

I could rent a fullsize backhole to do the work, but maybe I could purchase a box blade for what a weekend rental would cost. Anyway, who would want to rent if you can possibly use your own equipment.

I have a bank I need to remove appoximately 12 - 18" of sod and dirt, no rock, and layout a 200 ft driveway. I only need to cut about 12", here again sod and dirt.

I would expect I could purchase a used box blade with rippers. Does anyone have an idea of cost. Thanks

Box Blades

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-26          89368

kyvette; WOWZER, (thats an Iowa term), just checked your pictures you've got some neat stuff there. I really don't mean to rain on your parade but 24 HP. especially with turf tires and I'm assuming a hydro tranny you'd have to have a pretty small box blade to fit the size of your tractor. I'd have to check for sure but I think my box blade is a six foot unit with seven scarifier teeth. It's about all the 4310 Deere with R4's and FWD needs for a load, I think traction will be your biggest challenge. If you've got enough lead time on your project spray the sod with roundup a couple weeks ahead and allow the sod to die completely and you'll avoid most of the live sod clump problem while fine grading your project. I'd suggest going back to the Ford dealer and renting a bigger tractor with a properly sixed box blade for this job, I really don't recall seeing box blades small enough to match your tractor. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Box Blades

View my Photos
harvey

2004-06-26          89369

They do make little 48" box blades. I have a JD brand it is solid built and use it on my 35hp JD. Used it for years on little 19hp ford 1500. Now only used for scafier teeth to penetrate soils. ....

Box Blades

View my Photos
TomG

2004-06-26          89372

My scraper is 6' and the tractor has 24 hp. Works OK with unloaded turfs but the tractor/loader does weight 3,000 lbs. A 1,300 lbs tractor with turfs isn't going to have a lot of traction. However, I'd guess that it might be able to carry enough ballast to get decent performance from a small scraper. Usually a scraper length that just covers the rear tire tracks is pretty good and that may be 4' in your case.

I haven't had to resort to loaded tires or wheel weights myself but I do carry a load in the bucket sometimes to increase front drive traction. That plus the diff lock gets me by just fine. ....

Box Blades

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-26          89382

Ummmm..... I don't see an FEL in the pics..... or a weight bracket.

If you hang a 400 pound box on the rear of this tractor it will lighten the front end enough to neutralize your steering or it will simply pull the front end off the ground.

You can do the work you described but you will need a FEL AND a heavy (350-400#) 48 inch box scraper. ....

Box Blades

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-06-28          89487

Thanks fellows for the followup. I am going to see if I can rent or borrow a small box blade to see if my tractor can handle it. The TZ24 is rated to handle 700 lbs on the Cat 1 3PH and has a two speed rear axle with differential lock. I can also add weight to the front bumper. I didn't mention, but the MMM weighs 260 lbs and I weigh 190. By adding front weights I could get the total weight over 2000 lbs. Still may not be enought.

Hardwood, you didn't rain on my parade. I got the information I wanted. I didn't want to buy a piece of equipment that my tractor couldn't handle. From viewing your pictures, you should be a poster boy for the "Green Machine". Seeing the sickle bar mower brings back memories. I grew up on a farm. We raised corn, tobacco, and beef cattle on about 200 acres. I spent many an hour in the seat of an A-C WD45 using a sickle bar mower. This was back in the days when we used square balers.

Box Blades

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-06-29          89690

I think Tarheel Tractor has a video on "how to use a box blade" ,,I forget the $$ I think it is $25.00 ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login