Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dealer said don t worry about break in period

View my Photos
horstuff
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-02          81952

Hi. I just bought a TC24D that had 7 hours on it. I asked the dealer if I should take it easy for the first few hours, because I have seen something about that discussed here before. He just said "Let er' rip", which made me wonder what the hey to do. Is he wrong, or since it's already been run 7 hours, do I not need to worry about breaking it in? Other than that, and a few little things that caused me to think he may not know as much as he could about this machine, he is alright. I've gotten good feedback from the locals who have dealt with him before. Thanks.

Bobby

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-03          81962

I think that if there were particular break-in requirements then they'd be stated in owner's manuals. I also think that most tractor engines now are 'run-in' prior to sale so the old ideas of break-in are mostly finished before the tractor is delivered. That's pretty much what the dealer seems to be saying.

In general for a new engine I suppose it's still a good idea to vary the load and rpm frequently and avoid max rpm. It's also good to avoid lugging any diesel and also to watch the temp gauge but that's especially true for new engines. I'd check with the dealer if there's any thought of switching the oils to synthetics. Some manufacturers don't recommend using synthetics before 250 hours. Of course, some manufacturers may not recommend synthetics at all. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-03          81964

It's frequently mentioned here that Kubota recommends a break-in period, but JD doesn't mention it in the manual and it sounds as if NH doesn't either. Tom makes some good points about general new engine issues. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-03          81996

Tom
I can speak for CNH 285 pto and down to 200. We run our tractors for about 20min. then run em around the test track for maybe 10 more min. Thats it!! (the first 20 min. may be pushing it to, more like 12 min. to make sure all the fluids and functions are working. If there are any problems detected we send them to our tractor repair area and they are gone over with a fine tooth comb then. Personelly, I would want one of the tractors that have been found to have a minor flaw with the interior of the cab. Then for sure it will be thouroghly checked out.
For the most part (this year) we have had very few problems. If we do have a problem it is almost always fixed before it leaves the plant, there are a few exceptions though! ....

View my Photos
motrack

2004-04-03          82004

takes 5 hours to correctly break in you engine and it involves the use of a dyno. they dont come from NH broken in. these guildlines are published by NH and you dealer will or should have a copy. We are a NH dealer in central Indiana.

just for the record, as a former JD tech I know that Deere tractors also should be dyno broke. they publish the same set of guide lines for doing so. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-03          82007

If they are supposed to be broken in on a dyno then it should be done at the factory. Who the heck has a dyno in their garage? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-03          82022

im sorry to say that if you are running every tractor you sell for five hours on adyno you must have 10 dyonos or some really mad custumers. i am a nh tech and all that is recomended is that your do not run the enginge ahd full throtel and as tom said very the load and chage your engine oil and ALL filters(air only if it needs it) at 50 hours ....

View my Photos
motrack

2004-04-03          82028

dont know what dealer YOU are working for but if you are needing it Ill send you a copy of NH guidelines for correct compact tractor engine break in. give me a fax #and Ill sent it to you. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-03          82038

if you have info that we do not have please fax s the documentation of this. fax the the abbottstown fax number on the link. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
motrack

2004-04-03          82039

Ill send it to you monday morning. its also in dealer assist web site ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-03          82044

So I am assuming that the dealer may or may not have a dyno and do the break in's.?
At one point a few years back we were putting 50 tractors a day out the door (we are doing 24 a day this month) at the factory,
50x5=250 hours on dyno's, LOL No they are not run on one from the factory. I will have to check, I know we do run tractors on our dyno's but I think it is more like an sbc audit type deal or when we do have the problem engine. Other than that it pretty much sits idle for the better part of the week. I work in the tool and die room and only get out on the floor when a fixture or tool breaks down so I am not too knowlegeable on exact production specs of the tractors coming off the line. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-04          82097

im not sure bout the compacts but the large ts, tm, and tg engines are all dynoed before they ever get mounted to the trans ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-04          82098

motrack
send that fax attn. tony ....

View my Photos
motrack

2004-04-04          82105

will do Tony ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-04          82120

Oneace
You know I never gave that a thought, we were a transmition plant before we added the tractor assembly line here 2 years ago. I will check (for my own knowlege)and see if that happens before the engine gets here also. Where is it that you work? Sound like you have an interesting job? I used to work in research and developement in a dairy pump and valve buisness, that was alot of fun! always something different, also had worked in a job shop building progressive dies for around 10 years. Been at CNH for 7 years now in the tool room and I am still learning stuff almost every month although it is for the most part pretty lame but it pays the bills with enough left over to buy a tractor!!!! LOL. It aweful hard to watch these large tractors everyday run out the building and not want to own one, (for what I have no idea just want one) ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-04          82123

I am a mechanic for one of the largest nh dealers in the country located in south central pa do you work at the racine plant ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-04          82151

yes I do, they call it the RMO, Racine Manufacturing Operations. Very soon we are loosing our foundry here though. Its a shame, we really do produce very nice castings. I believe the term was, "Its not in our core buisness anymore to produce our own housings. Suppose if they can get them cheaper it will help keep the cost at bay for awhile, just at what cost? Right now we have quality american workers producing them. I sure hope we dont see made in China on the woods crates in the future.
Hey my wife and I were in Pa. once a few years back, (the northen part) It sure is pretty there reminded us of northen Wi. How is taxes where you live and what part of the state are you in? ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-04          82152

OOPS sorry I see it now, south central Pa. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-05          82234

taxes are not too bad they are working on doing away with proporty tax so that will be nice ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-05          82237

thanks for the info motrack ....

View my Photos
motrack

2004-04-05          82254

no problem...... going to NH school in New Holland 2 days this month and 4 days in may so going to be over your way........pretty country. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-06          82328

i am only an hour from there what are you going for? my company only sends us in the winter cause we get too busy to lose any body at this time of the year. our main store is just 15 mins from there. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-06          82334

oneace
You were right, I was told that Cummins does the dyno on our engines before we get them. We run them for around 4-5 hours if requested by the owner but at a cost to them also.
Brokenarrow ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-06          82335

yeah at about 60 an hour plus fuel ....

View my Photos
motrack

2004-04-06          82345

going for the TSA tractor. we do our schools in winter as well but were unable to get in one until now. ....

View my Photos
jec110

2004-04-08          82480

Where do I send my fax# to? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-08          82519

fax number for what? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login