Go Bottom Go Bottom

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
davcon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-25          69574

My TC29 arrived last week. Now have 4 hrs on it. At startup it coughs sputters and really smokes. It sits in the garage at 50 degrees. It fills up the whole place with grey smoke. Called the dealer, "all 29's do that". Anyone else have this problem or should I just live with it?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-25          69577

My 4410 smokes a little upon start up but cleans up fast as it warms up to full operating temp. It has gotten better about this as the engine has accumulated more hours (currently 94 hrs.) and broken in. Give it some time to break in and I would expect this to improve. I also bump the rpm up a 100 - 200 rpm once the engine has started and idle settles to aid the warm up as recommended in the owner's manual. It is normal for a diesel to smoke a bit upon start up and until it has warmed up enough to properly burn the fuel. A good fuel additive which raises the cetane value of the fuel can also help lessen the amount of smoke as well. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-25          69578

I agree with what Chief said. My tractor warms up smoother and quieter with a little extra RPMs as well. As far as fairly heavy smoke, I don't think it should smoke for more than a few seconds when it's only 50*F.

One question though have you checked the low idle? See if it is idling lower than what it says it should in the manual. My tractor idled a little slow when I got it. It was a simple turn on the throttle mechanisism ( 5 minutes tops)to put it right at spec. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-25          69588

You will find help with a fuel additive. If you can find it use a clean-up dose of Red Line 85 Plus. It really works. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-11-25          69592

My 2000 TC29 does smoke some at start-up, certainly more than my friend's new TC40. It really isn't noticeably outside, but in the barn or after dark (the lights really make the smoke show up) it is. Mine has about 500 hours now, and did settle down a little from when it was first bought.
Bill ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
DK35vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-25          69608

White or gray smoke from a diesel on a cold start is completely normal. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-25          69623

Many diesels won't warm up to operating temp at slow idle and they'll continue to smoke. On a cold day my 1710 could sit for an hour and never come up to operating temp. In fact it'll cool down below operating temp if left at slow idle for long. I warm mine at around 1500 rpm after a few seconds at around 800 to give a chance for the oil pressure to come up and the diesel knock to lessen. It starts easier and runs smoother right off if I give it 1/2 - 3/4 throttle on cold days.

Mine starts with a puff of gray and then just a bit till it warms but I'm running mostly #1 diesel this time of year and that may smoke less. It will give a puff of gray on acceleration even when warm but that's normal for most engines. If valve clearances and injector timing is set at the 50-hour servicing it may smoke a little less but from the description it's probably normal for a new engine, but a shed filling with smoke may be a bit excessive. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-25          69644

"At startup it coughs sputters and really smokes. It sits in the garage at 50 degrees. It fills up the whole place with grey smoke."

I dunno' fellas, he's talking about it behaving this way at 50*F. How's it going to be at 5*F? I would make sure everything is fine (fuel, idle speed, etc) and if it keeps up I would let the dealer have a look, why not?

I can't see ALL TC29's behaving that way at 50 degrees, especially the coughing and sputtering part. Doesn't sound right. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-25          69649

That is exactly the way my 4100 acted. A dose of 85 Plus had it purring like a kitten and reduced the smoke by at least 95 percent.

When I got the 4115 home it was very stinky/smoky also and had a high pitched, ear splitting rattle. 85 Plus fixed that too.

It doesn't quite purr like the 4100 did, but it only has 30 hours on the clock and I expect it will improve. At least I can stand next to it without wearing ear protection now. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-25          69650

Mine tractor souns fine, even quiet..well next to my straight-piped PSD that is :)

I actually am surprised how quiet the tractor is, it makes much less noise than my gas lawn tractor. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-26          69662

Mine doesn't sputter at all on start up even well below 0F. Of course I use a block heater for a couple hours at those temps.

You might try using a little more hand throttle for starting. More throttle is sort like a diesel choke. It keeps the fuel delivery higher until the engine rpm increases. Mine just takes off and I back off the hand throttle to about 800 rpm for a minute or so and then up to 1500 until the temp starts coming up. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
a2hockeydad

2003-11-26          69670

Has anyone else ever thought of adding a slip on exhaust hose to pipe the exhaust out of the garage? If I park mine in the garage the car next to it has a 6" soot spot on it when my tractor is done whining and ready to be used. I thought about having a piece of flex tubing and an adapter to fit my exhaust pipe to get the smoke out the door. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
davcon

2003-11-26          69671

Thanks for the thoughts. More observations. This weekend I ran it for about 2 hours, shut it down for 2, then started it again and the same deal! I dont mind the smoke as much as the sputtering. I suspect a leaking injector. I'll probably end up taking it to the local dealer. I bought mine 2600 miles to the east and not looking forward to explaining why I didnt buy from the local guy. Thanks again! ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-27          69755

Smoke from many injector problems usually doesn't go away entirely when an engine warms. If it's one injector separate puffs often can be seen at low rpm. I guess leaky ones could put fuel on top of the pistons when it sits and account for the problem, but there still should be some smoke after it warms. You might monitor the engine oil level. It might go up if the injectors are leaking.

The problem also sounds like air in the fuel line. I'm not quite sure how it happens if the lines have been bled once but I've heard of it. I wonder if you turn off the tank valve when letting the tractor sit.

I recall a discussion I think here but quite awhile back where somebody did install a flex hose to vent the exhaust. I think his tractor was in a basement so there was a CO issue. There was also an exhaust fan. Without a CO problem I don't see any problems but it'd be good if the hose ran generally up. I'm not sure where to get the hose auto garages use although it may be a little large. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-27          69771

I've seen people use CO monitors, the kind which have an aux. output designed to trip your house alarm, hooked up instead to a relay which automatically either opens the garage door, or just turns on an exhaust fan for a period of time, usually the type intend for bathroom ventillation.

This sort of thing is probably cheap insurance for an attached garage, or basement parking space. In my case the garage is well ventilated and seperated from the house by a solarium type arrangement so it's unnecessary.

Besdies, I rigged up a photocell on the front wall of the garage to the garage door opener, when you start the car the daytime running lights come on and the door goes up, 3 minutes after the light source (and presumably the car too) disappears the door goes back down. The missus is a little forgetfull sometimes, I call her the "darkest blonde I know".

Best of luck.

Best of luck. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
Bob Criss

2003-12-10          70707

I have a TC-29 & now have 132 hours on it & several puffs of smoke at start-up but then everthing is finel ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-11          70841

I've seen quite a few folks in this thread that have a TC29. I am on the verge between a TC24 and TC29. what are your thoughts on the 29? I am primarily thinking it may be bigger then I need as far as mowing a 1 arce yard and almost 3 acre horse pasture. ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-12-11          70852

I haven't looked at the TC24, but when I was shopping for a tractor I couldn't make up mind between a TC21 or TC25/29...at least on paper. As soon as I compared them side by side and sat on them, etc, it was an easy choice. I finally got the TC29 instead of the TC25 in order to get the live PTO.
Bill ....

New TC29 Smokes

View my Photos
davcon

2003-12-11          70855

Bob Criss,
Did it smoke excessively when new and then improve over time?
Thanks,
Dave

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login