Go Bottom Go Bottom

What do you think about this warranty problem

View my Photos
rjones
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-14          66183

i sure would appreciate you guys input on this.
when i bought my tractor (tc33d/7308FEL/bkhoe/boxblade)i bought it out of state, saved money on purchase price & sales tax. that was the good - now, the not so good. i've had few minor things i would have had done if it was local, and now, i've got a bad ignition switch. i'd also like to have FEL pressure chkd (seems wimpy). called local dealer to ask about warranty, he said he would "if i could get it to him." i don't have a way to do that. called the company i bought tractor from & they said they'd send me a replacement if i'd send them defective part. now i've got to buy tools, dismantle covers, get part to ups, etc... and i still don't get pressure in FEL chkd.
so, buy local, spend more money, get support, or buy online, save money, become a mechanic. i know this sounds "whiny" but i wish some of these local dealers would realize they could make just a little less at purchase time & they'd make it back up on warranty work & accessories bought.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-14          66185

I think you stated it quite well with the exception about how your local dealer should have charged you less in the begining!

The reason you can get a BETTER price from a remote dealer is because they are selling on Price alone not SERVICE. The remote dealer knows he can sell into other dealers regions at close to cost because any dollar he gets out of someone elses region is new found money that he never would have had.

Sounds reasonable that you either trailer it to the dealer on your trailer or pay to haul it there. Quite honestly, the local dealer to me is only 18 miles from my house, but he charges $75 to pick it up, and he will not throw it in with the purchase. While another dealer 50 miles away is marginally better on price and offers free pickup for service. So most of us here deal with the guy 50 miles away.

So it all depends, each of them is a little different, but dealers that are across the country from you have to have very long arms to help, or like you say, you become the mechanic an enjoy somewhat less your 36 month warranty.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-14          66188

Dennis said it quite well. The local guy has to have a fully equipped service department, tools, spare parts inventory, and technicians on staff to provide service for all the equipment they sell PLUS all the equipment the out-of-state guys sell. There's quite a bit of overhead there to pay for.

The out of state guys have less overhead which is why their prices are lower. The only tractors they have to service are those they sell locally, which may be a fraction of their total sales. Less overhead equals lower prices, but often results in less satisfied customers.

I suppose if ALL dealers sold at rock bottom prices to out of state dealers it would level the playing field a bit but that's not the case now.

Pay 'em now or pay 'em later, you always end up paying. Perhaps you can pay them to transport it in the near term and keep your eyes open for a good transport trailer deal in the long term. Of course you'll need a vehicle capable of towing it.

For my money I paid a bit extra to buy from a local dealer and I think it was money well spent. It's like a security blanket. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-14          66200

This sort of sounds like a problem we had here in Ontario.

One dealer in a VERY rural location spent a LOT of money advertising, even listed prices, a real taboo here, even wen't so far a sto hire a travelling salesman to call on 'trade' customers, golf courses, landscapers, municipalities, etc.

The 'hook' was he knew that the machines he sold had to be warrantied, but because of his location not many of the machines he sold would actually be back to his shop for 'nuisance' repairs, while the machines he sold to institutions, big companies, municipalities, etc., would provide him a good parts volume and they would either fix it themselves, or he would send a mechanic in a service truck. He discovered that this way he only had to have one mechanic in the shop, but could charge extra for warranty work on-site.

The other dealers were furious that sales were being lost to a dealer that was sometimes 250 miles away from the client.

Eventually the manufacturer sat the dealer down and told him to stop his 'unethical sales practices'. He switched from selling one kind of orange paint to selling the other brand of orange paint and then REALLY beat the other dealers up on price.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-14          66202

If you are not inclined to service your equipment, then you are pretty much going to have to work with the dealer.

You can buy a trailer for about $1500 or so that will carry your TC33. You can rent a trailer for a day. You can pay the dealer if he will pick it up. You can pay someone like a towing shop with a flatbed to move your tractor. You might even be able to talk a friend with a trailer to loan you the use of it or move it for you. I loaned my trailer to a friend to move his tractor in exchange for his help on a project at my home.

I used to be a dealer (Allis Chalmers, New Holland) and it was not part of my business to do charity work. The local dealer is obligated to do the warranty work as part of having his franchise. He should not be expected to offer service (transportation) that will not be reimbursed by the claim that he must make to NH for the warranty work. Even if you bought the tractor locally, there is no guarantee that transportation will be free unless you negotiate it up front.

As far as the out of state dealer is concerned, what is wrong with him asking for the old part? He may need that for the warranty claim, and it also helps him to make sure that he is not replacing a good part with a new one unnecessarily. If he sends you a part and you send him the old used part and it is not the problem, then it costs him as well as you, and he cannot recover those costs.

You saved money by buying out of state. Now, use some of those savings to pay for transportation to the dealer to get your tractor in top shape. ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2003-10-14          66203

If you look at other posts, I have had a similar problem, and my TC45D is being delivered back today. I had to pay $100 for pick up and delivery, not bad since the dealer is about 50 miles away. They wanted me to pay the warranty items, until they were reimbursed by NH. What a crock...don't they realize I will probably be a customer for life (I've got to believe tractor owners are a lot more loyal than car owners), and will continue to spend $$ at their dealership? Also, my ignition switch was acting up as well, I ended up just tightening the trim ring on it...not sure yet if that was all that was wrong...seems to be working now. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-14          66205

Blue, asking you to pay for warranty work till NH reimburses them is not right. It may take them a while to get their money from NH, but that is a normal cost of doing business and having a dealership franchise. Transportation is another thing entirely. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-14          66218

It used to be a covered item as far as the parts and labor but times have changed. Many dealers, us included(unless prior buisness partner) do charge the customer until credit is recieved often 90 to 120 days after the work has been completed. Who says the company is going to pay the whole bill? How many mechanics make flat rate the first time or even the second time they do the job? Why should a dealer have to cash flow someones repair when they don't have there buisness. When "we" sell during the warrantee period we pay for trucking, we still have people that expect us to do the same when they bought elsewhere. You maybe the nicest person around, but the last fellow wearing your shoes thru the door wasn't. ....

View my Photos
rjones

2003-10-14          66226

guys, thanks for all the replies. sadly, since i don't post very much, i'm not a premimum member & can't read most of your post, but i did get the gist i think. i know my problem is one i created, so i'll have to live with it. i guess i just wanted to vent. hey, who needs an old ignition switch on a tractor anyway? man, that thing looks so good just sitting under the shed til i should be happy with that (Heee HEE) - i would post some pictures for all of you to see, but only premium members can do that! is this a bad day for me or what? Wheeeeeeeeeeee
it'll all be good. a lot of people don't have a tractor to have a problem with. i guess i should be more thankful. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-14          66228

Art, I see your points. I haven't been involved like you are for a long time. I expect that the manufacturers are extending their reimbursement payments as long as they can get away with like a lot of other businesses.

I still would not feel good about paying for warranty repairs, but that is just me. I know that my dealer does not charge me for those repairs, but I expect that is part of the benefit of purchasing the tractor there. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-14          66230

I try myself to buy locally because of all the things I've heard and seen for myself. I like someone that I can reach out and touch! ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-14          66242

I am not sure why there is such a big problem with transporting tractors to the dealer for warranty work. I have had several small things fixed including loader pressures checked under warranty and not once has my tractor left my property. The dealer sends out a service truck and the nice mechanic does the work. He can fix just about anything onsight, so why move the tractor when it is so much easier to move the mechanic? I do have my own trailer and could easily transport my tractor but, I don't agree with being responsible for transporting or the cost of transporting for warranty work. Once the warranty is up I have no problem with being responsible. I also do not believe the dealer should be responsible either.It is the manufacturers responsibility. Also I would never pay for a warranty repair until the dealer got paid that is the dealers problem not mine, just like I have to wait to get paid by insurance companies. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-14          66248

The last two vehicles we bought required us to get them to the dealer for warranty service. I don't see why a tractor should be any different. Dealers who offer free transport to their customers during the warranty period should be applauded, but I can't think of any industry where it's normal for the manufacturer to pay for transportation. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-15          66275

I'm almost two hours from my dealer. They would send mechanics here but I'd have to pay travel time and there'd be a risk they need something from the shop or a part they didn't anticipate and then I'd pay to and fro travel time. I'd still go for the mobile mechanics if the dealer were closer.

The tractor is heavier than I want to trailer with my 1/2-ton. What my dealer does for me if I'm not in a big hurry is add me onto a run he does fairly often to a city about half way here and only charges for the extra time and mileage. That's what works best for me but then the tractor has only been back to the dealer once in five years. ....

View my Photos
rjones

2003-10-15          66278

Gentlemen, first of all. THANK YOU for your replies. after reading them & thinking things over i've;

1)become a premium member so i could read all your replies (& now i may even post some pics)

2)come to conclusion that i may as well "suck it up, buy tools, remove ignition, etc.."

3)decided to not use this minor problem as soapbox for change (even tho i think it's ridiculous that manf/dealer would not pay to send mechanic to repair. If a starter goes out on a car, are you expected to "send it in for exchange?" NO - and a $25,000.00 tractor should have same type of warranty)

4)vented enough, now, it's time to go to work. and, hey, it's only work if you'd rather be doing something else.

hope you guys have a Great day. ....

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-10-15          66303

Generally speaking, when a no-start condition exists you will have to tow the car to the nearest dealer and if it is a covered repair, the waranty will probably cover the towing charge, depending on the terms and conditions of your agreement. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-15          66311

The tractor companies and dealers should be more like auto makers and dealers. The don't care where you bought it, how you bought, why you bought it or even if you bought it. If it is under warranty they fix it end of story. I am sure some people on the board have had some bad experiances but, statistically it is going to be low. The big three are constantly trying to improve customer satisfaction. Today much of their profit is in service and repeat business not so much on the initial sale. I have owned 37 cars in the last 24 years. I have never had a problem with warranty work. I also have a great dealer for my tractor. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-15          66313

My machines travel a LOT because of the nature of my business, luckily, very seldom do we need warranty work performed, or dealer service at all for that matter, but when we do we have NEVER had a bad experience with a dealer other than our own dealer from whom we bought the machine. One very rare occasions we have been asked to pay, or sign promissory notes, just in case the manufacturer refused the claim, but that is just prudent business practices, I don't have a problem with that.

Maybe I've just been lucky, I prefer to think it's because of the professionalism of the dealers and their staff.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
rjones

2003-10-16          66356

follow up
i put penetrating fluid on key, inserted & tried to turn a couple of times. got it to crank. unscrewed ring that holds ignition in place, replaced it. tractor now cranks "sometimes" (i think there's a short in switch itself) anyway, i was able to use tractor some yesterday. reason that was important.... new toothbar arrived. man, it changes a toy into a tractor. the last time i had used tractor before ignition started causing trouble, i had tried to push some brush & trash piles to little avail. yesterday, they were pushed, they are now gone! what a difference. i plan to work some more today if i have to straight wire ignition (Hee Hee.. just kidding) ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2003-10-22          66810

Last followup on this thread...my tractor is back, safe and sound, the dealer FINALLY agreed to submit the warranty work to NH w/o billing me first, and the tractor arrived with all the filters changed, fresh engine oil, and it was only short ONE GALLON of hydraulic oil of even touching the dipstick. Unfortunately, they are the closest NH dealer to me. My warranty is up today, guess I'll have to take most of your suggestions, and do the work on my machine myself! ....

View my Photos
pineridge7ranch

2003-12-18          71588

I also looked at dealers outside of my state to save money on the purchase of a new TC-40D. But then I weighed the service problem and bought local.

I don't recommend purchasing out of state unless you do have a way to transport your new rig to a local dealer. Most of the servicing agents will handle their regulars 1st, over someone who did not support them in the transaction.

It is my understanding that when doing a warranty repair they are reimbursed by NH on a flat rate labor basis for the repair. So there isn't a lot of money in warranty repair like one might think. They need to make a profit on the sale to pay the bills and be there when you need them the most.

Good luck to you. I hope your problem is quickly found. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login