Go Bottom Go Bottom

HST pedal

View my Photos
pavehawk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-01          65273

Hello,

Just curious if any of you have had trouble with the HST pedal.

My problem is after using my tractor for a while(an hour). The pedal is slow to come back to the middle position. I have almost hit a few things because of it. I greased all the linkage and it only does it when the hydraulics are hot. Anyone have this problem or know of a cure. Thanks in advance. TC33D 7308fel 220hrs. 2 year warranty just expired.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

HST pedal

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-02          65331

I have seen something about this on the board before; I have the standard transmission so haven't experienced it. Have you tried searching this board? Maybe you can find something until somebody more experienced replies.
Bill ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-03          65372

I'm a gear head as well. There was a recent discussion where a comment about spongy HST pedals was mentioned. I can't recall the subject title but it might be worth looking for. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-03          65375

I wouldn't worry to much about the warrantee as I consider this a safty issue and they should be able to give you the options for no cost. I'm sure NH doesn't want to hurt anyone. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
Blueman

2003-10-03          65377

I have a TC45D, and my HST pedal is sticky when I first run it (cold)...can be dangerous...I have 2 weeks left on my warranty... ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-10-03          65379

I was having the same problem on my new MF GC2300. Dealer took HST pedal apart and emory-clothed the "pivot". Works much better now (though not completely fixed). He said they usually work into smooth operation after ~50 hours, but obviously, you're beyond that point.

Good Luck. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-03          65402

I have a TC33D pedal has always worked fine.(now has 250hrs) ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
poorfarm44

2003-10-03          65421

I have had a similar problem at 50 hours and it has subsided with use and some grease. At 120 hours the problem has seemed to been resolved. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
MackAttack

2003-10-20          66689

My dealer asked me if I had this problem and I told him that it occured only when it seemed cold. What he did was adjust the the tightness on the return spring. The return spring is adjusted by a turnbuckle, all you have to do is loosen the nut and then turn the bolt in which tightens the return spring and then retighten the nut and this will cause for the peddles to return. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
nhtc33d

2003-10-21          66695

Thanks for all your help guys. I will try to tighten up the return spring tomorrow. Pavehawk

I couldn't log on using pave hawk it said my user id did not exist oh well. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
edaw45

2003-12-12          70934

I have a tc 33 with 95 hours on it and the peddal is also very sticky. I will tighten up the return spring and see what happens. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-12          70939

Guy's every piece that is built has a minimum spec and a maximum. Sometimes when you get these pieces together it makes for a tight fit. Sometimes thats where they might neede to be taken apart and deburred and cleaned. Sometimes it's just the new paint that starts to come off that is the problem. I don't like to strech a spring for a return on something that you have to hold as it then increases the preesure you need to use to get the results you need. That is going to affect the tractors effort needed for operation and on a long day it might mean your fatigue and discomfort! ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
ALDALE

2003-12-12          70978

My TC30 (with 40 hrs)hydro pedal now sticks when under load. It will return to center when the clutch is pressed. You can also tap the opposite drive direction to stop. The sticking is in both forward and reverse drive. The linkage is well lubricated and free (returns to neutral with the engine off or no drive load). Any ideas?? ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-13          71026

I often unhook the levers at different spots to see where there might be binding or retrictions in movement. Sometimes just moving them past there normal movement area will help. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
ALDALE

2003-12-13          71050

Thanks Art. I will try those suggestions when the weather moderates next week.
Of course I could have the dealer work on it since it is still under warranty, however the dealer is another story. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
pavehawk

2003-12-13          71051

Your userid=pavehawk

I logged on as your fine.

Just login, and if you forgot your password, just request that it be sent to your or email me if you need you password.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
pavehawk

2003-12-16          71287

thanks for checking my log in. I still have the sticky pedal after pulling it all apart and greasing it. I am just dealing with it for now.

Thanks again guys for your help. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-16          71312

That's unusual for that problem to still exist, the problem must be an internal one. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
jasonsewell

2004-01-05          73183

My 2 cents... I have a 2003 TC45D and after it warms up, I get the same situation (slow return) but only when the machine is under a load (digging into a pile). If I dig into a pile and the machine stops, when I release the pedal, it is slow to return. Tried to adjust a few things and keep well greased, but no help. Keep your foot ready to hit the other pedal, that's all I can do with it. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2004-01-06          73205

Traditional hydrostatic transmissions like the one found on my NH TC30 incur a load on the valve circuit that is connected to the hydro pedals. This is most apparant at low RPM's as pump flow has some counteracting force. This is a well-known issue and has been addressed with more modern hydros like those found on the Deere e-hydro's and the Kubota Grand L's. What does all this mean? You don't have to like it, but you should expect your hydro pedals to want to stay in the engaged position when the trans is under load. (especially at low engine RPM's)

Lubing your pivot points is always good but will not provide a complete solution. I always use my foot to return my pedal to neutral. It's a habit of mine, and it provides me with total and reliable control at all times. My machine has the rocker style pedal which makes this very easy. It's just a matter of tipping my foot forward and backward.

Some of the Kubota product literature does a good job of explaining the hydro loading issue and how Kubota has worked to improve on the design.

Jerry ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-06          73217

This particular design and safety issue with the HST control pedal was a big reason why John Deere beat out the competition during the contracting for flight line tractors I did while with the 101st. John Deere had the superior AND safest design. This is a huge factor to consider when you have young kids (at least to me 18 year olds are) operating equipment like this. Ergonomics and safety features are VERY important and tremendously cut down on the number of flight line accidents. The dual pedal ehydro combined with motion match and load match made operations with hook ups and pulling VERY heavy loads much more user friendly and SAFER. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-06          73308

Listening to the different problems here and trying to help I'd talk to your New Holland dealer and ask for the higher grade oil they offer. It is the same as the Case-IH hytran plus. It is a thinner weight which might relieve the system faster. I believe petal effort on NH tractors is around 25lbs so if you have fish scale or a measure to check effort that might help you find the problem. I definitly would be in touch with your dealer if at all possible. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-07-16          91056

This is an old thread I would like to revive. I am experiencing a sticky HST pedal on my TZ24DA with 21 hours. I don't notice it during operations like mowing. It seems to be worse when the tractor is hot and while driving. I let off the forward pedal and the tractor continues to move forward, slowly the HST pedal will return to normal. A slight tap on the reverse pedal will return the forward pedal. The same senerio will happen when traveling in reverse. I would like to hear your suggestions before I take this to the dealer. ....

HST pedal

View my Photos
5picker

2004-07-16          91087

Well kyvette...

Everything that was said before still applies. You MAY have a sticking or binding pedal or a return spring that is out of adjustment or some other mechanical snafu.

Jerry summed up the pedal sticks because of "hydraulic shock load" on the system pretty well and I have found under certain load conditions mine will do exactly the same and I have learned to deal with it just like Jerry, by depressing the pedal back when it happens.

I believe Art mentioned the lighter, higher quality hydraulic fluid and that may help you too if you are experiencing a load condition.

I believe us folks with HST's seem to have gotten into the habit of just lifting our foot off the pedal a bit when we want to slow down or stop and while under "ideal" conditions, that usually works...but sometimes it doesn't! As long as the pedal isn't bound up or there is a mechanical problem, I'm not too sure I find this "sticking pedal" scenario a bad thing. At least I know my HST is coupled up and providing plenty of power to the drivetrain.

My $.02
Tim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login