Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC35 3x4 Recommendsd Brush Hog

View my Photos
bobad1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-27          64951

Hi,

Been lurking here for a few days, and enjoying it immensely. I have a TC29 pulling a 5' Woods brush Bull. With 7 acres of my 10 acres needing mowing, needless to say it's slow. Even with freshly sharpened blades, I can barely run in 2x3 gear. The wheelbase is too short for 1 thing, and it bucks and pounds my rear end without mercy. Sooo...moving up to a TC35 3x4 and a 6' Woods Brush Bull. My question is, will I find myself in the same situation? According to the Woods charts, the 6 footer needs 30-60 HP. At least the TC35 has a decent wheel base! Aaaahhhh! :)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-09-27          64964

If the acreage you cutting is that rough you may not gain very much in cutting time.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-27          64971

Seems to me that if you up-size the tractor AND the cutter you run the risk of recreating the problem on a larger scale.

I have had a couple of short coupled tractors that occasionally needed FRONT ballast to keep the wheels on the ground during certain operations.

If I was in your shoes I would ballast the front to deal with the handling issue and maybe mow more often to stay ahead of the tough going.

If I got the itch to up-size I would get the bigger tractor and stay with the current cutter. ....

View my Photos
bobad1

2003-09-27          64974

Thanks for the reply. So you think the TC35 will pull the 6 footer at a good clip if I mow often? I'm just worried about the marginal matchup. 30 HP minimum required for the 6 footer, and only 30-32 HP available at the PTO. Worrisome!

Thanks, ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-27          64975

If you are just field mowing the 35hp should handle the 6 ft. The larger frame should not be a problem. I am not sure how the seat is sprung on the TC35. The tractor it replaced had a good seat and really was not a problem bouncing over rough ground.
I replaced the seat on my MF65 a few years back. It makes a world of difference.
Peters ....

View my Photos
bobad1

2003-09-27          64977

Same seat as the TC29...fairly comfy. Problem is the very short wheelbase on the TC29 bounces you around at any speed above a creep. The TC35 has a much longer wheelbase, (63" vs 73.5") It should take the bumps much better, as well as mow more smoothly. I'm just worried about the marginal power to turn the 6 footer. Guess I'll find out in a week or 2. I'm considering water in the rear tires to counterbalance the FEL. Better not. I bet that will make it ride rough. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-09-27          64982

I got to brush hog last weekend with 2 other tractors. I have a TC29 with gear transmission, my friend a TC40 with gears, and the other friend an old MF 135. All of us were using 5' brush hogs. I was surprised to find that my TC29 would just about keep up with the TC40. In the fields that had been mowed once this year, I could mow in 2x3 or even 3x1 in most places. Some of the tougher grass had us both going down to 2x1. The only place that he had a noticeable advantage was up some of the steep hills. We were backing up them, and some of them I had to use low range on; he never had to resort to low range.
The MF 135 was significantly more powerful than either one of our NH tractors.
Bill ....

View my Photos
bobad1

2003-09-28          65022

Thanks for the reply Bill. My guess is that I'll have to go as slow or slower thn my TC29, but at least I'll get a 6' swath. I swear I'll mow more often when I get my new stuff. Yea, right. ;-) ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-09-28          65026

I am not sure you can go any much on a rough field no matter how large the tractor. My MF 65 normally runs in 1 high and I can not really run any faster. With the 7 ft mower it takes less time.
Is the TC range seat fully sprung? I can not recall. I found the larger tractor a more comfortable ride in testing. ....

View my Photos
bobad1

2003-09-29          65065

Hi Peters. Thanks for the comments.
Never examined it closely, but the Boomer series seats seem to be nothing more than large riding mower-type seats.
My wife doesn't know it yet, but she's going to make me a thick terry cloth cover for it. That should help my butt breathe. I hate getting off the tractor and having a sweaty rear end. Yea, my field is rough on the 63" wheelbase TC29, but the 73.5" WB and biger tires should help! Watering the tires may help too. Opinions? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-29          65067

Based on many years experience on MANY different shapes & sizes of equipment, I can tell you that ride quality has more to do with tires than anything else. Especially tire size, the larger around the tire, the better ride you will have, smaller tires tend to 'fall in' to depressions, and 'run into' bumps whereas larger tires tend to 'bridge' over depressions and climb small bumps.

I suspect the rear tires on that MF65 are 13 x 28" rears and the fronts are probably 6.00 x 16", I doubt the tires on any CUT are going to come close to that.

Last week I was playing, errr, helping out a little at the farm bringing in hay, I appropriated on of the big boys, a 275hp. New Holland articulated bi-directional unit, one of my favourite toys, it sits on 46" tires all the way around. I went sailing (relatively speaking) across a field to be loaded then watched the guys on the little loaders bouncing nearly out of their seats as they loaded me. Those big wheels never felt a bump, nor did I ...

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-29          65071

I've got to agree with Murf, ride is about tire size and to a lesser extent tire pressure and tire construction.

Wheelbase does also enter into it to as a longer wheelbase does reduce fore and aft pitching.

If I was looking for a softer ride I would stay away from R-4 industrial tires AND fluid filled tires.

I can tell you from my experience that there is a HUGE improvement in ride and traction when you substitute radial SUV tires on the rear of your tractor. The rim sizes for you present tractor will cross over nicely to large Radial SUV tires.

View my Photos
bobad1

2003-09-30          65141

Uh oh...got industrials coming and also fluid filling them. My dealer told me that fluid filling them made them ride smoother. I guess I'll call him and tell him to hold the juice. As for the industrials, I really need them. Ag tires will ruin my turf, and turf tires won't get enough traction for FEL and plow work. The pitching was the worst thing. Maybe the larger wheels and wheelbase will help. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-30          65147

Sounds like you ordered the new tractor!

I can't tell where you live.... are you working muddy or soft ground? That is where the industrials might have an advantage over turfs.

Plowing? Is that snow or soil plowing? Turfs are better in snow and R-4's are better for soil engaging stuff.

Those R-4's were certainly not good on my 2000 pound tractor. With no air in the tire and the bead actually off the rim, the R-4s were so stuff that they didn't go flat. They maintained the same exact profile and with even minimal inflation pressures the ride was rock hard.

Maybe your tractor will have sufficient weight to push the tires around instead of the other way around.

I would suggest a full set of wheel weights instead of fluid if you are looking for more traction and stability. At least the weight will be "on" the tire instead of "in" the tire.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-30          65153

I agree with Mark. I have fluid-filled R4's and intend to drain them the first time I get a flat. They are stiff, stiff, stiff but on the plus side with 6 plies they are less likely to get a flat. Mine came with 30 psi in them - I've dropped them to 10 psi and the tire's profile hasn't changed a bit. R4s give a harsh ride but fluid will reduce their ability to flex, further exacerbating the problem. You will need to get some ballast weights for the loader if you don't fluid fill though. ....

View my Photos
bobad1

2003-09-30          65160

Hi Mark and KWS. I live in Louisiana. Sometimes I work on wet ground, but not deep mud. I plow ditches and a small garden, and whatever the neighbors can dream up. Lots of dusty FEL and mowing work. Yea, the TC35 will be in Friday and I should get a ride by Tuesday. I'm calling my guy to call off the fluid. I think they are hard on the clutch anyway. If the bigger tires and wheelbase still pound me, I'll let off some air. Kind thanks for all the info! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login