Go Bottom Go Bottom

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-16          64056

The other day I made my weekly run to TSC,( maybe like alot of you,) I am always looking for new things for my tractor. The problem is I now have just about everything I can get from TSC and if you ask my wife Sears hardware would envey my collection of tools. As I was leaving TSC I always walk by all the 3pt stuff just to see what's new. They had a BOOM sitting there this time. I never saw one before, a simple enough thing I'm sure you have all seen them. I have a herniated disc in my back so bending and lifting are not good or easy for me, so I thought this would be good for lifting, moving ect... plus I needed something new to play with on my tractor. This thing is the cats ass I wish I saw it a year ago I have not stopped using it since I got it. Much easier than chains on the bucket.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-16          64058

How about posting some pictures and pricing. A link to it will do as well. I'm curious to see it. ....

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
delpi777
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-16          64077

You sound like a perfect neighbor.
We'd have two tractors, all the tools in the world and we could ride to TSC together. ....

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-09-17          64109

KW I would love to post pictures but, I am not too good with a computer. I just bought a digital camera so hopefully I can get some pics up soon. The boom cost $73.00 and I think I included a link that will take you to it. If this does not work you can find the boom on the TSC site under 3pt equipment. Yesterday I painted my snow plow and the boom was great, held the plow and made it very easy to work on with minimal bending. ....

Link:   

Click Here

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-17          64119

I got a boom pole of very similar design a couple years ago made by Howse. It was pretty sorry.

It had one major problem aside from the quality: the three point spacing was set up in such a way that it jammed and bent my top link the first time I raised it to its full height.

You might want to check that out lest it take you by surprise. ....

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-09-17          64126

Mark, I have had this boom for about two weeks and have raised and lowered it at least 30 or 40 tmes it works great. I have it set up to work on my quick hitch. I have lifted my ballast box with no problem (950lbs). I think it is the best $75.00 I have spent since buying the tractor. ....

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-17          64130

The quick hitch would prevent the jamming problem. The issue might also be specific to Deere 41xx tractors. ....

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-17          64131

I adapted a floor hoist of the variety you would use to take an engine out of a car with a few years back for a friend of my father's, he has a bad back also.

He happened across it at an auction, nobody wanted it because it was missing two wheels and the hydraulic jack that makes it go up. It cost him the princely sum of $5 and cold pop for the kid that flipped it into his pickup, LOL.

I cut the cross arm off at 26" wide and welded a plate across the ends to take 3pth lift pins, then made a bracket on the vertical member to take the upper link. A surplus hydraulic cylinder in place of the jack, some hoses, fittings, pins, etc., a couple cold beers and a few hours of time he had a nifty little hoist for the back of his machine. The hydraulic lift feature has been really handy he claims, between it and the 3pth he has quite a range of motion.

This fall he wants to bring it back to put a plate across the frame so he can be a little safer dragging small logs around with it, they tend to stop a little slower than the tractor sometimes, ouch.

Best of luck. ....

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
ALDALE

2003-09-17          64133

DR: How do you like your quick-hitch? I have been considering one, looks like it would be good to use with the boom (in addition to the main use with heavy equipnent attachment). Could you list other pro's and con's.
Thanks. ....

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-09-17          64156

ALDALE I really like the quick hitch with a bad back it is really hard on me to slide or lift implements on to the 3pt. The down side is if you don't buy compatable implements you might have some mods to do. I do not use the hook on the top I removed it in favor of an adaptor that came with the Q-hitch. It works just like a top link hook-up. For each implement you need a set of bushings for the bottom pins (about $20. at TSC). I use it with a rake, finish mower, ballast box, boom,hitch reciever and a PHD. Once everything is set up it is much quiker and easier. Now that I have it I would not want to give it up. The mods were very minor and easy. ....

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
ALDALE

2003-09-17          64195

DR: Thanks for the good info about the quick hitch. I stopped at TSC today and looked at the quick hitch and adapters. I had wondered how well the top hook would work. It looks like the bet would be to use the top adapter and pin the way you described.
Thanks. ....

A Boom for a Boomer

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-09-18          64241

Al I have had no problem using the adapter. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login