Go Bottom Go Bottom

SuperSteer

View my Photos
BountyHunter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-08          63365

Well, I think I've made up my mind on a TC35D with a FEL but, I don't know whether to opt for the SuperSteer or not. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to this option other than the obvious tighter turning radius? Is it worth the additional $900.00 or is it just a matter of preference? While on the subject, does anyone know of any differences coming on the new (04) TC35-45 and is it worth the wait or not?
-Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

SuperSteer

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-08          63367

From my shopping days I would have spent the $900 for supersteer in a second. It does have some minimal downsides though. For one, when you turn the loader moves very slightly in the opposite direction of the turn as the front axle articulates - this MAY be a problem if you are in very tight quarters with a loader installed. The steering also didn't seem to have quite as good a feel as tractors without SS, but heck this ain't a sports car.

SuperSteer

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-08          63371

I do not own one of theese so it is little more than my humble opinion. I did look/drive and seriously consider the SS. The trouble is not the price but all the extra moveing parts. If you are just mowing the lawn and light open work I would definately opt for it. If you are going to the woods or doing FEL work I would pass on it. If you are trailering it there is extra weight, which can be either bad or good depending on your needs. Dave ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-08          63374

The extra complexity of SS is a valid concern, but in my year or so of reading this and other boards I can't recall a single instance of someone having any problems with it. Of course I suffer from CRS like a lot of others :) ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-08          63375

Thats True I have heard nothing but good from those who have it but most who buy SS primarily mow. I have not heard from or seen a post where any one is useing it in the woods in 4wd. Like all tractor choices its just relative to your use and needs. Dave ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-09-08          63378

From what I hear, it isn't all that complex although there are more moving parts. The sensa-track is controlled not electronically but manually with a torsion bar or you can shift into 4X4 full time. ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-08          63397

Loaders shift slightly with steering position on non-SS tractors also. A FEL is not like a rear steering fork lift in that regard, but is more versatile in many situations. I use pallet forks on my loader most of the time to move equipment. The shift is noticable but managable.

SS tractors get longer in tight turns because the "outside" steering wheel will go significantly forward as the axle swings in that direction.

SS tractors require the 17LA loader that can accomodate the larger movements of the front axle position.

Do I have SS? No Would I buy it? Yes if I was doing mostly mowing and wanted to make minimal marks on the lawn. I would also combine that SS purchase with Turf tires. (I don't mow with my tractor. I use independent steering brakes and can pivot on a locked rear wheel.)

SuperSteer

View my Photos
triplenet
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-13          63744

SS is a must! I've had my TC33d 2 years and am sold on the SS.

Bob ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-13          63753

A voice from the other side here. The super steer on the NH is needed for manuverability. Without it they are not up with the rest of the market for steering. The time that it takes to wear those extra pivots out is a variable and the loader will help to do it faster from the extra load. ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-09-15          63923

Does anyone know of, or have heard of any failures of the supersteer or sensitrack systems, and under what conditions did they occur? The local dealer seems to be a pretty decent guy to deal with and he swears by the supersteer and says he will give it to me at his cost. He has both variations in stock so either one would be available. Any info will be greatly appreciated as I plan to purchase within the next week or two.
-Thanks ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-15          63928

For what it's worth, I've been participating in a couple of tractor forums for the better part of a year and can't recall a single instance of somebody complaining about mechanical problems with SS. ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-09-17          64165

Not to beat a dead horse, but in regards to the sensitrack 4WD, does it hold up as well as conventional 4WD? It looks pretty simple, basically a one way clutch at the front end of the drive shaft. If the rear wheels travel at a faster speed than the front it locks the front axle in until the wheels are at relatively the same speed and then it disengages. I plan on signing the papers in the next day or two and want to be relatively sure that I'm buying something that will last. I've talked to 2 dealers in the area and 1 says that it (supersteer and sensitrack) is just bells and whistles but he hasn't had any problems with them and the other dealer says he wouldn't have a tractor without the sensitrack. I even called New Holland, but they referred me back to the local dealer and said that is where I'd get the best information...GO FIGURE. I enjoy reading the threads on this board and look foreward to any other information or opinions on this subject. --Thanks ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-17          64166

I have one question on sensi track, does it lock up at the speed of the rear or slower, or faster? ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
BountyHunter

2003-09-17          64168

If I understand your question, it locks up if the rear wheels are traveling at a faster ground speed (tires slipping) than the front wheels. ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
bobad1

2003-09-30          65145

For what it's worth, my dealer says he sells SS mostly to greens keepers. I can tell you the Boomers with standard steering turn very tightly, and I can not imagine a situation where I would need to turn any tighter than I already can. Good luck with your decision! ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-30          65164

At what amount of slipage of the rear will the front engage and is it a lock up to the factory balance of front to rear or does it actually run slower at the percentage of spin. Another manufacturer had a front end with an auto engage but the fronts turned four percent slow compared to the rear. ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-01          65229

Art, I think you must be referring to the automatic FWD feature that is part of SS. As far as the relative speed of the front to rear wheels is concerned, it is always going to be some compromise. If you are pulling a draft load, it makes sense to have the rear wheels running faster. But, on grass, I would personally want them running exactly the same ground speed to do minimum turf damage.

As far as turning radius is concerned, I have never felt a need for Supersteer on my NH. I don't drive over grass and I use the individual rear wheel brakes if I need a really tight turn and it will lock and pivot with a rear wheel in one place. I don't see how you could turn with a tighter radius than that without one rear wheel going in reverse. I think that SS is a great option if it fits the way that you use the tractor. ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-10-01          65238

One subject that many on the board seem concerned about is loader lift capacity. SS definately decreases lift ability. I have a TC33D, I have never felt that I would be better off with SS. I tested both before I bought and did not like SS for loader work. I do not mow with my tractor. Anyone trying to decide should test both for themself before buying. ....

SuperSteer

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-02          65278

I don't have a good grasp of sensi-track. I imagine what's going on is that when SS is engaged it changes the radius the front outside wheel tracks in relation to the rear wheel radius. That would change the front to rear final drive ratio and decrease the axle lead if it's a smaller radius, which would cause the front outside tire to skid, or to spin if it's a larger radius. If the front tire is skidding then it's not contributing to traction in 4wd. It would make sense to me to disengage 4wd under those conditions. If the front tire was spinning, it might make sense to lock the front diff and the inside tire that would be traveling s smaller radius might contribute to traction. I don't know if sensi-track locks 4wd in or out or really what it does.

I believe this also is an issue with 4wd in general. I think some heavy equipment have differentials installed in the front drive shaft to allow drive ratios to change during turns. I think it's supposed to keep the front axle during turns. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login