Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hi Pef K and N air filter for NH TC33

View my Photos
dant
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-18          62061

Does anyone know if K&N makes an air filter for a TC33?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-15          63900

Not sure why you would want to use a K&N filter in a diesel tractor? The K&N filter is more geared towards the hot rod guys. These filters do not filter as extensively as the stock paper filters and also release small amounts of oil into the intake passage of the engine, which is not a good thing if it is equipped with an turbo charger and intercooler. I would recommend staying with the stock paper filters in your case. The K&N filter will flow more air but in diesel applications especially with a turbo charger, they are of little to no benefit as the turbo charger dictates how much air is pushed to the engine. Your particular tractor engine does not have a turbo charger but you still want the most filtering capacity you can get to filter out as much dirt/contaminants as possible. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-15          63901

I suppose another way to look at it is there is a whole lot more air being drawn into a high performance 400 cube V-8 than there is being drawn into 90 cubic inch diesel running at half the gas engine's RPM.

I just don't think your CUT will draw enough air to max out the flow characteristics of a pleated paper filter. Plus you are operating within your own dust cloud on a tractor not leaving it behind like you would in a car at 80 mph.

You need all the filtering you can get. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-15          63902

If your TC33 is like my NH tractor, it has dual elements. There is a huge benefit to the long term health of the engine by having an outer element that can catch most of the stuff and an inner element that provides additional filtering and covers the intake even when the outer element is removed for occasional cleaning.

A K+N outer element would contaminate the inner element with oil and is much more difficult to clean than a dry paper element.

I use K+N elements on my offroad racing vehicles. Those vehicles have a dual element system with a dry foam outer filter before the oiled K+N element. This works for high reving racing engines, but is not necessary on a tractor. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-15          63910

What might be gained here other than the novelty? ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-15          63917

For a tractor running at a couple thousand RPMs I can see little benefit.

For racing the claimed benefit is lower back pressure across the element and the capacity to hold more dirt. In addition, you can clean and renew the filter. (Generally in the shop and not in the field.)

From data that I have seen the passed particle size and number of particles goes down as the filter is used and the larger particles are trapped in the oiled cloth element material. The back pressure remains more constant than with paper elements. Is this indeed true? I have never personally tested the filters, but we don't have problems with the engines where we use them. Offroad racing often involves driving in dust so thick that you cannot see a vehicle ten feet in front of you.

We used to run the same K+N filters on the street vehicles, but have stopped doing so because it is a PITA to wash out the filter rather than throwing in a new paper element. I guess I am just not worried if I can knock off a tenth of a second in going from zero to sixty in my pickup truck. I am also not worried about getting an extra 0.3875 HP out of my CUT if indeed I could. ....

View my Photos
dant

2003-09-15          63944

My purpose for a K and N was for the ability to wash over and over and not have ever have to replace it, not realy for any performace It has been very dry this summer here in Michigan and my filter is always dirty. If I had a K and N I would simply be washing it out. ....

View my Photos
dant

2003-09-15          63945

My purpose for a K and N was for the ability to wash over and over and not have ever have to replace it, not realy for any performace It has been very dry this summer here in Michigan and my filter is always dirty. If I had a K and N I would simply be washing it out. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-15          63947

By the time you buy the K+N, their filter oil and consider your time, I doubt that it is a bargain. It takes a lot of time to wash one out properly, let it dry, and re-oil it.

A better bet might be to buy a second paper air filter and just swap out for a clean one and clean the dirty one when it is convenient.

If it is a real problem for you, there is a type of add-on filter that works. I think one brand used to be called the Donaldson Cyclopac. It is a horizontal canister with an element but it also swirls the air to centrifugally separate out dust particles that are expelled through a rubber valve. I have used these on off-road cars before as a pre-filter. I have also seen them used on construction equipment like skid steer loaders and such.

You would have to adapt the NH intake to pull air through a hose from the Cyclopac, but they do really work. You would also have to decide how to mount it. It is a cylindrical canister that is about 10" in diameter and 18" long. I have also seen vertical cyclonic filters on 18 Wheel Truck/tractors. (canister mounted to the side of the hood.) ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-22          64548

I looked very closely at the air intake filter on my TC45 this weekend, and it is like the design of the Donaldson Cyclopac. The air intake comes in from the front and then is put into a spiral to cause the dirt to drop out of the airstream. The NH housing has the same rubber valve to expel dust as the Donaldson had (has).

I don't know if the TC33 uses this same sort of filter, but this is one of the best setups that I have seen. I just never looked at it all that closely until this question came up. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-22          64550

As part of the routine maintenance of our units the air filter elements are high on the 'To Do' list.

Every morning, as part of the circle check each operator does, one of the tasks is to empty the pre-filter and tap the loose dust out of the element. Beyond that, while the oil is draining the air filter elements get blown out from a line on the truck-mounted compressor. The filter is only replaced once a year.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-22          64573

Murf, that sounds like a good policy. Scheduled and preventive maintenance programs are necessary for businesses with multiple operators and with heavy usage.

Most of my usage is an hour here and an hour there. I suppose that I should check the filter everytime, but since I am the only one in the seat, I know exactly what usage the tractor has seen. I spent more time looking over how the tractor was constructed when I was buying it than I have since I have had it.

Since I use the tractor about 90% of the time for FEL work the filters tend to stay pretty clean. When something comes up like someone asking about air filters, I might tend to take a look in that specific area. I did the same thing with posts regarding battery corrosion and the fan hitting the shroud on some models. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login