Go Bottom Go Bottom

Considering TC40D w FEL and backhoe - why not used backhoe

View my Photos
larryv
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-05          58937

Folks,
I have found the discussion here very useful. I am close to purchasing a TC40D Hydro, SS, FEL and I would also like a backhoe as well. Now when I think about it, the FEL is about $3K, Backhoe, $7K, why not buy a used Case 580 backhoe for about $10K. Wouldn't it save wear and tear on the tractor and be better at those tasks anyways? Would appreciate the thoughts of the informed.
Larry

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-05          58939

What then would you use the TC for? Mowing? ....

View my Photos
larryv

2003-07-06          58941

Mark,
Fair point. Mowing, grading, post hole digging, pulling trailer I guess.

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-06          58947

A dedicated hoe and loader probably would be better at digging than tractor mounted attachments. The costs and time of maintaining an entire second machine should be added on to purchase price, which could be a bunch for a used hoe.

If the need for a hoe is occasional and light duty, a less expensive 3ph hoe might be considered with due consideration for the possibility of damage to the tractor. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-07          59016

I have played with the idea a few times and the idea of a small track hoe rather than the backhoe attachment. The trouble is that you end up with too much equipment to maintain. It can take you all day just to change the oil in all of it. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-07          59018

The other day a fellow cam in that had bought a tlb compact from us. He was looking for a way to move dirt further then or more than a bucket at a time was feasiable for him. Sold him a street use dump trailer so he wouldn't need to hire a dump truck to haul from the quarry when he needs a ton or two of stone. The trailer sold to him has ramps so it will also haul the compact in the box so it serves two potential uses. His 3/4 ton 4/4 pickup pulls it just fine. We did address another tractor on his property but decided to try this to help pull it together at a lower cost and more use out of his truck. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-07-07          59026

These "cheap" backhoes show up, but I have always stayed away from them. I don't need a maintenance headache. A well used backhoe that you can get for $10K is likely to be just that sort of headache.

I bought a new TC45 with the 758C backhoe. I maintain both, but neither get abused. I know 100% of the history. ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-07-09          59220

I priced a 7 1/2 dig BUSH HOG back hoe from Corriher in Newton,NC,,with a subframe it was $5800.00,,They told me a sub-frame was a MUST! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-10          59237

A 7.5' hoe is pretty big for a compact and that sounds like very good advice. ....

View my Photos
melensdad
Posts: 90 Northwest Indiana, near Lowell and 8 miles from Beecher, Illinois

2003-07-10          59277

A used second machine can come in handy and you can sell it for close to what you paid when you're done with it. I have a TC24D HST for mowing, ditch work, etc. I have a Kubota B2910 with FEL & backhoe for bigger stuff. Some tasks it comes in handy to have 2 machines on site. A TC40 is too big if you pick up a Case combo unit, consider a 24 or similar for the lighter work. ....

View my Photos
larryv

2003-07-31          60595

An update, after much consideration and deliberation I couldn't justify the 6,700 price for the 758C when I can get a used Case 580D Extendahoe with multiple buckets and complete cap with heater for 11,500 for which I know the last 10 years of mechanical history. I can always turn around and sell it for close to that and now I will have two machines. Pictures to come..... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login