Go Bottom Go Bottom

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Farminlady
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-07-11          5881

The TC29 passed it's final test with flying colors! Hooked it up to the heavy old pto driven JD 14T today, after my Oliver blew a clutch. The Boomer ran that baler with no effort at all. Baled a couple of hundred today, it's going back out to do more tomorrow. I'm in New England, guys, and my fields are far from level. No trouble up and down the hills. This cut is pretty late, and the hay is thick. I didn't expect it to handle it! Around here, the recommendation for baling is 50 hp. Most people that use a smaller tractor use a self-powered baler.The TC29's got about 310 hours on it now, and most of those hours have been heavy work. It's made another convert, too. My son-in-law drove it a couple of times and decided he wants to turn in his Kubota B1700 for a Boomer. This is amazing. He's been a Kubota man since his father bought one back in 1980, and his B1700 is only four years old.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
John

1999-07-11          5883

Interesting. I've been condsidering the Boomer, but I'm getting mixed feed back. What really scares me is some of the bad dealer feedback. But know one can tell me specific details other than the general comment that the TC33 is not built as tough as the 1920.Still, I really like the ergonmic design, hydrostat, and that supersteer is hard to beat. Personally a lighter tractor is better for me (transport and ground compression).Do you think the TC33D could handle a batwing mower for finish work? Maybe a finish batwing mower like the Woods. I would think baling work would require a lot more HP. ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Dennis

1999-07-12          5893

Its good to see someone else is baling with a boomer. I'm in my second yearwith ours. I have the 1925 model pulling... a 14T. I baled alot of customwork back in my college days, but never with the luxury of a hydrostat. If your14T is like mine you make "banana" bales every so often. Been trying to adjustmy speed with the windrow to make the perfect bale.Do you mow with a boomer? I sickle mow with a Ford 515 with a 7 foot sickle.Its almost enough to tilt the tractor when I lift it. Been considering pullinga mower conditioner. Could be too much, will see next year.Better go I've got work to do here and hay down at home...Dennis ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
mike

1999-07-12          5904

How did your swather cut with your Boomer? And what size of swather did you use? Thanks Mike ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Dennis

1999-07-13          5926

My mower is a model FORD 515. Thats a 3pt hitch mount sickle mower. It has different length sickles available. Mine is 7 foot. Most popular in this area, central Illinois, is 7 or 9 foot. It was really made to be used with a think a Ford 5000 (about the same a 9N). So I had to do some modifying. It has this break-away linkage that fastens between the lower 3 pt link and the tire. With the Boomer there was no room, so I made a plate to secure it to the drawbar. Also the Boomer is so narrow I cut the mower frame in half so that it would align with the outside of the tire. It was some work but I only started with $200 in the initial mower and it was pretty clean. The quality of the cut is good, I adjust my clearances really tight on my guards. Thats a high maintenance task because the sections are always breaking off. I hope that helps,Dennis ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Farminlady

1999-07-13          5954

You have me a little confused on the term "swather cut!" That's one I haven't heardbefore. Can you tell me what you mean? ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Farminlady

1999-07-13          5955

Unfortunately, my mower is a Zweeger disc job, and it rides out to the side on the 3 point. The Boomer will turn it OK, but the weight would be risky, and I'm notsure the tractor weight would balance the weight of the mower. ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Mike

1999-07-13          5957

Around here we call the mower a "Swather". Anyway just wondered how your Boomer pulled it? ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Farminlady

1999-07-14          5958

Hey Mike - good to know we've got another Boomer/14T combo out there! Your bananabales might be coming from the knotters, especially if they are worn. Mine will tiea little two-flake bale every now and then, and once in a awhile will throw a 12 footer.Those are real interesting! Every year I have to go through the knotters, and alsoplay with the bale tension until I get everything working together. Do you like the hydro?I didn't get it, mine's a gear job. But it's OK baling - I just run it second gear lowrange, and set the throttle on the money for 540, and sit back and relax. (As much as youcan baling with an old 14T! Boy do I jump when I blow a shear pin)My mower is a Zweeger disc, and while the Boomer will turn it, it's a little tooheavy. It rides on the 3 point, and when it's out to the side the tractor just doesn'thave the weight to balance it, even with the weighted tires.Yeah, I'm wondering about trying a moco with the Boomer, too. A friend of mine has one,and I've been thinking of borrowing it for a test run to see how the Boomer will do. ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Farminlady

1999-07-14          5959

Sorry Dennis - at this hour I don't even know my own name! ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Farminlady

1999-07-14          5960

Don't believe everything you hear. I don't know whether you were on the board backlast Aug. - Nov. when I had bought my original 1725, and had so much trouble with itthat NH replaced the tractor with the TC29. NH & my dealer tell me I'm one of thefew people that have had experience working with both models. Believe me, the TC'sare better built than the old ones. The engines in the old ones had some problems,and they've been completely redesigned in the TC models.Don't be afraid of the TC's! I can't recommend them highly enough. Mine has done mostlyheavy loader work, I've used it with a bush hog, the tedder, and now the baler. I've yetto find anything that will bog it down. Mine's the 29, and the 33 has that bitof extra horses, so I don't think you'd have any trouble with what you want to do. ....

Baling with the Boomer

View my Photos
Farminlady

1999-07-16          6048

I don't use my mower with the Boomer, Mike. I have a Zweeger disc job that rideson the 3 point at right angles to the tractor. The mower doesn't have any realground support, just the 3 point. It's too heavy for the Boomer - would tip thetractor! I wouldn't hesitate to use a mower conditioner on the Boomer, though.I've now spend 2 days baling with the Boomer, and it put up around 300 bales alltold without a problem. I've used a mower conditioner in the past, and I'm surethe Boomer would handle one of those. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login