Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC29D or TC33D - what mower is quot best quot by type

View my Photos
Dave Krawetzki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-10          50894

Summery:
I have inherited about 12 acres of land in mid MD. Approximately 3 acres is field brush (need to cut 4 or 5 times a year), 4 is lawn (cut weekly or as needed). I have been looking at the NH – TC29D. The salesmen said that the 60” mid mount (under belly) rear discharge is best. He also said that I most likley should get the TC33D
Dilemma:
1. What is better side or rear discharge? I do want mulching blades.
2. NH has many different types of mowers available, what is the difference? IE: mid-mount mower, flail mower, rear finishing & rotary cutter.
3. The property needs a lot of work and is hilly (12 deg slops), is the TC29D capable or should I look at something smaller or bigger? I do want a loader later and would most likely “play lumber jack” to do some clearing and would like to rent a rear mount chipper as needed. Can this PTO handle a chipper?
I have never needed to purchase a tractor before, but now with my father gone I need some good advice. Thanks! Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Dave Krawetzki

2003-03-10          50924

Just a note for mor info: I received a Quote from my local dealer & a TC33D w/72" MMM is $18,900... OUCH! I found a site on e-bay to call this 'Ted" guy at 1-828-464-1200 in NC. He Quoted $15,100 plus $400 delv. to MD (plus no sale tax!) Thats about a $4,000 savings. So I guess this is the way to go. Any thoughts would be welcome... Thanks Dave ....

View my Photos
mcsd126

2003-03-10          50928

Dave,

Sounds like the NC dealer is the way to go! I have a 2002 TC29D with 35 hours on it and so far love it. It seems to mow fine and it pushed the 24" of snow around very well. I however am having 2nd thoughts and wonder if I need the 33Hp machine? I was unaware that the 29D is a 25D on steroids, My dealer did not even advise me of the 33D for the extra few hundred $$$, I plan on calling the NC dealer tommorow about a 33D or 35D just to check prices and possibly trade my machine.

If I were you get the 33D with a 60" or 72" rear discharge mower, MMM's seem to work great on hilly land.

-Mike

View my Photos
tractorman

2003-03-11          50938

Make sure you ask "Ted" if he is giving you a New Holland Front End Loader, I saw one of his tractors on Ebay Sporting a Bush Hog Front End Loader. ....

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2003-03-11          50942

I have a TC33 with SS, FEL, and 72 inch MMM rear discharge. If you plan on running a read discharge mmm just remember that it will take up all the hp you have if you get into deep or thick grass. I also have a JD 935 with a 72 deck and side discharge and it does alot better in heavy grass. When just tossing the clipping out the side and not having to mulch and move them our the rear you don't need as many pony's. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-11          50943

My opinions:
1. I've never used one, but I think most prefer the rear discharge.
2.The mid mount mower (MMM) is the best if finish mowing is your main objective. The NH mowers are notoriously hard to remove and install, so if you don't have any other jobs that require a lot of ground clearance, you could leave it on. There may be issues with fitting a MMM with a front end loader. The flail mower isn't seen a whole lot for residential use; I believe that they are used more frequently commercially. Their drawbacks are high price and (I believe) higher HP requirements. The rear finish mower has the advantage of installing/removing quickly and does an adequate job of finish mowing. I got one because I do some work in the woods and needed the ground clearance. They are usually cheaper to buy than a mid mount. A rotary cutter, or "bush hog" or "brush hog" is for field mowing. The lightweight models can mow down saplings up to 1".
3. The TC33 could probably handle a chipper. I have no experience with it, maybe somebody else will chime in. Check the web and look at HP requirements for PTO chippers. The TC29 or TC33 would be adequate for your needs. The 33 is worth the extra few dollars, though I'd say you're splitting hairs to find any real difference in power. The next size up (TC40-TC45) would be even better unless you're going to be doing mostly finish mowing. Even then if your yard is open it would probably be OK. 12 degree slopes are not excessive for a compact tractor. Just be careful always. They can flip backwards on dry, level ground faster than you can do anything about it, let alone on a slope.

I have a friend that is buying a TC45 from the same dealer in NC, I assume. He found the dealer through e-bay. He doesn't have the tractor yet, but the guy sure talks a good game. We'll see how it goes.
Bill ....

View my Photos
Kris,From,NC

2003-03-11          50957

Ted sells on ebay and his web site is: www.oktractors.com

Kris ....

View my Photos
Shade2u

2003-03-11          50978

I have a TC33D w/SS & use a First Choice rear discharge mower (3 point pull behind). It seems to work great. I prefer it to a midmount because of all the other things that I use the tractor for & don't have the MMM in my way. The 3 pt mowers are going to save you alot of money (about half). I recommend 3pt & 1st Choice brand for my use...
Flail mowers & rotery cutters are for "brush" cutting, not mowing.
I would suggest the TC33 over the TC29 for the money. The TC35 seems to be a large tractor for mowing... ....

View my Photos
Dave Krawetzki

2003-03-11          50992

Thanks to all for the great info. I truly mean that! The local NH dealer (Fredrick, MD) is becoming VERY irate with me. He will not break down his prices for me so that I may compare to others. He says it is a package deal and the price is NOT up for bargin. If I buy from 'Ted' in NC (& save close to $4,000) and then need service... Fredrick NH is the only game in town. This could end up in some interesting problems! I suppose his price is good for the DC area (2nd most expensive in nation to LA). I have some serious thought to consider ($4,000 worth). I now find my self asking "When my father died...I now know why you did'nt get one"! Thanks again Dave
Also I am moving soon and my e-mail will be changing. When I settle in the new place (the old home I grew up in) I will then certainly regester to join the org. The best group of people ! ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-12          51009

Dave; I do not like "PISSY" salesmen. You are the source of their "BREAD AND BUTTER". Go to another dealer. I had a blue tractor for 13years and tried for a year and a half to deal with blue dealer for a new one and needless to say they wouldn't budge. The green dealer bent over backwards to make a deal. Green has a 3.9% intrest rate now til 3/31, I think.

Me thinks you will be happy to be in the 30-35HP range. More HP is always nice but more HP takes more fuel. I would not go any less than 30 and I sure would not use a 60" cut to mow 4 acres, unless I HAD TOO, because it was given to me or nothing else is avaiable. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-03-12          51011

Dave, if you buy from NC to save money just tell another local dealer that you bought the tractor used, or moved from another area or even inherited the tractor with your property. This way he does not feel slighted on the sale. Any dealer should handle warranty work with no problem. Your local dealer paid the same as ted did for the tractor so he can sell for the same price, if he does not want deal it's his loss. When I bought my 33D my local dealer was more than happy to match the lowest price I found (slightly lower than Teds) and there service has been great. ....

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2003-03-12          51061

1. I test drove a used 33D with a FEL and a MMM. Using the loader with the mower was a pain because it would drag through the dirt PLUS the top of the mower would load up with dirt (blade bearings, belts, etc.). Removing he mower is no easy task either--although the owner said with the loader and super steer it is much easier to do than without both (SS allows the front axle to pivot out of the way of the mower to get it out).

2. Get Super Steer. It is well worth the price. It's like driving a forklift in reverse.

3. I have a 33D with Super Steer. Horsepower is where it's at. If fuel economy is a concern, seriously, you shouldn't be buying a tractor.

4. I paid $13,500 plus tax for mine out-the-door. Brand new (has the dark gray/black paint versus the older lighter grey paint and different tail lights. Ford offers A-plan discount on this and their implements over $1000 each. My dealer will even sell industrial equipment (skidsteers, etc.) at 6% over factory invoice--same as A-plan). Dealers don't have to honor the A-plan deal--but if they are smart (and hungry) they will.

5. Warrranty. Dealers, I have to believe, have the same access to information (in-service date, where you bought it from, when, etc.) as a car dealer--so not telling the truth to get good service may backfire. And since dealerships are indendently owned they have no obligation to warranty the machine. Around here, if they catch you lieing about that, you go to the back of the line!

6. Ask to the dealer how much they have to make on a sale---then ask to see the printout of the factory invoice (not dealer invoice which can be any number they make up). If they get "pissy" then go elsewhere.

7. Playing lumber jack: Hmmmm sounds like a way of breaking/abusing a 33D--just ain't up to the task. And NH loaders are very slow and can't lift a whole lot (don't even think about digging/pulling stumps out)

8. Traction on hills: I recently dug a 100,000 gallon pond (no, no, not the 33D -- a CAT 320 excavator) that had embankments so steep I couldn't walk down or up them. I installed my 3pt Gill pulverizer (for sale!) on the 33D to shape and smooth the sides, and that little tractor not only backed down the sides but up as well and I never got stuck. It was at such a steep angle acid leaked out of the battery (oil pressure was still consistent). ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-03-13          51093

My 7308 has lifted 2016lbs with no problem and with the addition of a tooth bar I have dug up several good size stumps, also with no problem. SS decreases lift capacity of the loader. ....

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2003-03-13          51101

In reply to "drcjv" above, I should have stated that my dealer, knowing I'm a contractor, cautioned me that I really shouldn't consider using a backhoe with the 33D because engines have been known to separate from the transmission due to shock loads (bolts either snap or stretch slowly then back out over time) from the backhoe mounting under the machine. I own a tractor/loader/ backhoe and have cracked the frame at the engine (it has a full frame not like the 33D's that have only a front subframe) To my mind a front loader is just as abusive on the tractor--especially all the torquing and twisting that can occur just during everyday homeowner use.

I was told the loader is rated at 800lbs.----2000lbs that's quite a bit!

There are several discussions here about fans hitting shrouds (frame twisting), front axle housing flexing and bolts breaking at the center, etc. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-03-14          51132

I think in these discussions it it very important to remmember one persons application can be very different from another. Professional use vs. private use makes a big differace in what is needed. I would certainly not try to pull stumps daily with my TC33D, but one here and there is no problem. I had the dealer change the valve pressure on the loader what a differance, from struggling with 700lbs to lifting over 2000lbs with no problem. My nieghbor who has a similar size JD use to tell me (constantly) how much stronger his machine was. Now he does'nt say a word in fact he even ask me to move something for him.(I loved every minute of it it.) ....

View my Photos
Another Dave...

2003-08-01          60693

Hey Dave you may want to shop just a bit more (try Messick Abbotstown, PA near Hanover... about 1 hr away). Also, I was going to buy a brand new machine, but went private sale and have an almost new TC33 9/2 gear 4x4, 7308 FEL 60" MMM, with many other options, and you must be sure to determine whether NC is providing, such as delux hitch, proper hydro-splits, etc. My unit was 147 hrs. and $10,000, no tax, and lots of machines are available. A neighbor has TC29D SS to compare with, but I mow a lot and do not need hydrostatic drive. MMM is more easy to mow considering mobility. ....

View my Photos
rjones

2003-08-02          60748

dave - i bought a nhtc33 for personal use from TED. it has a fel & backhoe, so the small amount for the extra 4hp (33 vs 29) was well worthwhile. i could have gotten another brand of fel, but i chose to go w/nh. it works great. also, my 2 pennies, SS is like a christmas present every day. i use the rear discharge finish mower because it's so much easier to connect & it does a very good job.
btw, i live in sc so i had to have my tractor delivered as well. ....

View my Photos
j-mac

2003-08-03          60821

rjones what did you end up paying.

View my Photos
arcn11thacr

2003-08-28          62838

re...to drcjv, i am about to buy a tc33d from ted in n.c.
have looked at loader options...the bush hog model #2346qt
states max ht;107 max lift 1970 lb compared to nh 7308 of
700-800 lbs. unless someone has a good reason not to it seams i will have a bh ldr. by the way...1st time on here lots of good info. really like it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-28          62839

Dave, have you tried talking with Gaithersburg New Holland. I hate to even mention their name as I never had a good experience with them when in the military contracting tractor purchases. They sell alot of tractors through GSA sales and may give you a better price with their volume. Not the most customer friendly bunch though. I take it that when you are talking about the dealer in NC you are referring to Corriher???? If not, take a looksee in the upper right hand corner of this screen........ ;-) If you are interested in a MMM that is easily installed and removed; take a look at a John Deere 4410 or 4310 with the 72" mmm. I can get mine off in less than 5 minutes and more like 3. Little longer to reinstall, and those 7 Iron decks are really nice; extremely tough. Good luck with your search. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-08-29          62875

rcn I am not that familiar with the bush hog loader but there is no way it is that much differant than a 7308 the differance in lift # is either due to differant ways of measurement or they have differant valve settings. From pictures it looks similar to the 7308. As stated before my loader lifted over 2000lbs with no trouble after changing the valve settings. I have had it now for 17 months and love it. I decided to stay all new holland due to service issues. ....

View my Photos
arcn11thacr

2003-08-29          62879

understood, just stating from the actual handout i had in hand, personally i like the nh better because of the looks but i will check as much as possible about both before i sign on the dotted line for mine. ....

View my Photos
rich

2004-02-19          77312

If you don't mind a little drive, slip down to Winchester Equip. Located just outside of Winchester Va. I just bought a new TC33D with loader and R4 tires for $17,500. Salesmen are great. They will help you with any questions you may have and also have lots of equip. there

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login