Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fan Shroud fan interference

View my Photos
Bates
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-26          46591

In a post below, there is a critical alert for 'big' TC owners, and I wonder if anyone has heard of a 'fix' from New Holland?
I am about to buy a new TC40, and this problem has me very concerned. The fan rubbing the shroud is only a symptom of the real problem...it seems to me the whole front of the tractor must be 'twisting' under torsional load. If that is the case, I dont think I want to own one of these machines, as the front sub-frame of the tractor needs a re-design, before the torsional loads (twisting) start cracks, or cause something to mis-align... I really dont want to find out what part or parts are caused to ultimately fail, especially if I own the broken part/tractor.
Has anyone heard of a factory responce to this problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-26          46595

I agree that you should tread cautiously here. This situation infers a bigger problem looming on the horizon.

It is one thing to find problems after the ink is dry and take them back for redesign or repair, it is another thing to pay a lot of money for something with problems already evident.
I would expect the dealer to repair the defect before the sale and if there is no fix specified by the manufacturer yet, I would defer the purchase until that fix came down the line and could be reasonably evaluated.
A wider shroud or a smaller fan would not qualify in my estimation as a viable fix. ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2002-12-26          46598

I agree with Mark. I am not familiar with this model of tractor, however if this is frame flex causing this problem it could lead to more serious problems down the road. Perhaps the frame is not heavy enough. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-26          46603

What frame? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-12-26          46604

Ok, There is only a small subframe at the front of the tractors that carries the rad etc.
The subframe is mounted to the motor iron castings. I suspect that the subframe is not heavy enough to carry the loader without flexing. ....

Link:   Picture

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-27          46612

I think there was a discussion on this same subject not too long ago. This discussion seems to be moving in the same direction and it might be good dig the other thread out of the archives.

I think the small sub-frame Peters mentioned was identified as a culprit in the other thread as well. There was some discussion about whether off-centre loads were being lifted and if so whether that could be considered normal operations. However, I believe that design questions were raised in the previous thread as they are here, and rightly so.

View my Photos
Dwight

2002-12-27          46626

Here's a thread you might want to read too. The subject is "TC33D New Holland breaking in 2 at engine block". I have attached the link below. ....

Link:   TC33D New Holland breaking in 2 at engine block

View my Photos
Buckeye

2002-12-27          46633

It was my impression (from another message board) that this was pretty much a problem for 35 hp boomers, and not the 40 or 45-hp boomers. The poster on the other board stated it had to do with the 3-cylinder engine on the TC35 sitting back futher and as such needing a longer shaft to the radiator compared to the 4-cylinder engines. When the frame flexed, the longer shaft provided hit the shroud. Also there was some mention of misalingment of the shrouds at the factory.

I have had a TC-40 with a 16-LA loader for around six months now, much of it loader work. I have done some loader work that would have probably made the dealer wince from the loads I was putting on it. I have had not nor have I seen any evidence of fan blades hitting the shroud. From my point of view, the Class III boomers are as strongly built as any compact out on the market.

Jim ....

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2002-12-28          46647

With respect the TC breaking at the motor, my dealer told me that if I ever plan on getting a backhoe that attaches to the 3pt and foward toward the motor (I suppose most or all do) to always check the bolts as they have had two TC's loosen and fall out or snap at the bellhousing. Oddly enough he said it was not a concern when using a power rake (or even a loader) even though a power rkae can easily get the whole machine bouncing off the ground like a bucking bronco. Going back to the backhoe, the dealer said he found guys were stressing the machine too much by using the bacjhoe arm to move the machine back and forth instead of raining the outriggers and driving to and fro. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-12-28          46652

What Buckeye says makes sense as there is a considerable difference in the length of the block between the 3 cylinder and the 4 cylinder. The sub frame must be unsupported for a greater distance and would be more likely to flex.
I am not sure the first post there referred only to the TC-35. I know they were also warning those that had the TC-40 and TC-45.
Peters ....

View my Photos
RayH

2003-02-12          49137

I guess anything can happen when it is improperly operated. I have a TC40D with a FEL and Woods 9000 hoe and dig in the boney dirt of New England. Digging is hard but operator is smart. You need to understand the limitations of your equipment and safe and proper operation along with preventative maintenance is the key to the longevity of your equipment. I have been in the heavy construction business and it does not matter what machine we talk about if used improperly it WILL BREAK! Yes even a CAT. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login