Go Bottom Go Bottom

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
kevin3251
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-08          45868

It occured to me that I read on the oil container that it meet all sorts of specifications API, GL, etc. so I looked at the oil on the shelf an it meet all current new car and light truck GASOLINE requirments.
What should I put in my TC24D? I am new to diesel engins's and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.
Kevin

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-08          45869

Kevin,
You're probably looking at some name-brand oil such as Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc that is meant to be used in passenger cars or light trucks. For diesels, you need an oil such as Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo 400 (there are many others, but those are the two that are commonly available around here). Look at the API Service Categories on the back of the bottle. A "C" such as CH-4, CF, etc. is for compression fired (diesel) engines, an "S" such as SJ is for spark fired (gasoline) engines.

You can always buy the New Holland brand oil from the dealer. I've never priced it because my NH dealer is almost 2 hours away; I use Delo 400 in my TC29.

Hope it helps,
Bill ....

Link:   API service categories

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-08          45873

I used Mobil Blend in mine the last change. I had the same question regarding the gasoline statement on the bottle so I contacted Mobil. They said it is fine to use in a deisel as Bill suggested, it has the CG rating. It was around $2 a quart at Wally World. ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
kevin3251

2002-12-09          45901

Thanks for the info.I will be seeing the NH dealer today for the filters and I will see what brand they recomend
Kevin ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-09          45911

For diesels, avoiding long idles and working the tractor when it's not up to operating temperature will prolong oil life. Generally, a diesel up to temp puffs a little gray exhaust smoke when throttle is added. More smoke means more soot, unburned fuel etc. that goes into the oil.

If you new to diesels, you may be unaware that it's good to give the good warm-ups before working them but diesels don't warm up much below 1,500 rpm. They may actually cool below normal temps at slow idles. It's also good to give a diesel a cool-down at slow idle before shutting it down after a hard run.

As a historic note, I think that to C and S in the original oil classifications meant Standard and Commercial. Makes much more sense to call it spark and compression nowadays.

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-12-09          45922

Gee, Tom, you're right about that. It says so right on the API web site. I had read on the 'net some years ago that "C" was for compression and "S" was for spark, and I should have known that just because it was printed, doesn't make it true. At least my way is a handy way to remember which is which.
Bill ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-10          45954

Bill: I think the C = compression and S = spark is the way the rating codes should be used today. I just thought it's sort of ironic how the original coding system has been adapted to modern conditions.

I wonder what would have happened if the original system used I = industrial and C = common? Carburetor and injector in modern usage perhaps, but well I guess that wouldn't exactly work. I don't suppose this small point of irony is worth more thought so I'll stop.

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
Art White

2002-12-11          46007

Bill, That's a great site that you found on oils! It does help me as I haven't chased classifications for a while. CF would be minimum for what I'd like to see in a tractor at this point. ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
thefarm

2002-12-22          46434

I have a 2120 and I use Ford oil in it for diesel motors.It's not all that much more,but I feel safer using it.Gives me a piece of mine. ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
sonny jons

2002-12-22          46438

do not stop short of shell rotella 15-40 all around. all truck stops carry it and most rigs on the road use it or delo 400.l the delo oil is a little heavier oil .. both are excellent choice the user decides ... ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2002-12-24          46529

Kevin,

New Holland has their own oil that my local dealer sells for a very good price.
here's the example: http://www.unionfarmequip.com/specials/bulkengineoil.html

Wal-Mart carries an extensive selection of diesel oils also. Figure around $2/qt.
I would also look into Synthetics. Amsoil has had diesel synthetics for a while now and I understand other major brands are coming out with (or have)them. Under extremes of high and low temperatures, there's nothing that flows or protects better.
Hope this helps
Pacesetter ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
Peters

2002-12-24          46534

If you look around the site there have been numberous comments about oil and synthetic oil.
I currently switched to the Rotella synthetic in my Cummins which is less than 12 dollars a gallon at Wally World. It is rated as a CI I believe (Mark H.?) this is the next rev. beyond the CH. It is a 5W-40 oil. In replacement in my Cummins power truck it provided a boost of 7-10% in gas milage (on the computer). This is the first time I have a measurable difference in the milage in the switch.
For the cost and performance I can not see how you can fail with this oil. I only wish I could use it in the car to replace the 4 dollar a quart Castrol Syntec.
Peters ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-12-24          46535

I would be interested to know if any or all of the tractor manufacturers have addressed the topic of synthetic oil in brand new engines. I know that Ford and Dodge have, in the past, recommended that auto engines be broken in thoroughly before switching to synthetic. They say that synthetic oil won't allow enough friction between the rings and cylinder wall to produce proper break-in. In effect, it produces an engine that will always consume some oil.

Bill ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2002-12-24          46539

Bill,
That's true and I agree totally. The stuff's too slippery to seat the rings. As part of my old car hobby, I rebuild my own engines. I have also done some for a local oval track team. I always break in using a real light 5W-30 conventional oil, then switch.
However - I understand Viper and Corvette, to name two, come from the factory with Mobil 1 installed. Go Figure!!

Russ ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
Peters

2002-12-24          46543

I guess I am a little confused concerning current engine machining technolgy. I know that the 00 Dodge Cummins or 97 Ford really did not have a breakin routine in the manual. The Dodge certainly showed a breakin performance change, but not the Ford.
I guess the honing of the cylinder walls must be different that was used previously. The engines must run clean with little blow by out of the box to meet emmissions. The machine process must be different than what we are used to in the past or during rebuilds but I don't know what the differences are. ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
kevin3251

2002-12-25          46553

This is getting interesting, the more you know , the more you don't know. I only have 60+ hours on it now and changed the oil using the NH brand 10W-30.I think I would be leaning toward the synthetics after a few oil changes (so the rings can seat properly)Thanks for all the advice so far
Kevin ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-25          46556

Merry Christmas everyone!

I was going to switch to full synthetic this fall in both truck and tractor but after reading and hearing about possible ring seating problems, I went with semi-synthetic until I chalk up a few more miles/hours. Who knows for sure what it best. ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-12-25          46562

Not wanting to leave his friend, the doctor of lubricating arts, dangling and braving 15 degree cold and slippery front steps, our hero forges his way to the garage to read the Shell Rotella Synthetic bottle.
Now that that is out of my system, it says it EXCEEDS CH-4 and SL. And it is recommended for them new fangled gasoline engines!
Go forth in economical, well lubricated peace, Peters. All your engines will be well served with the contents of the dark blue bottle.
BTW, the 10 horse Briggs & Stratton on my chipper allows a fill with synthetic right out of the box. ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
Peters

2002-12-25          46569

Sorry Mark;
I would have done the same put purchased just enough to change the truck and no more.
Now if I could read I would have seen that it was also gasoline compatible.
Well so long Castrol.
Thanks
Peters ....

oil for diesel engin

View my Photos
larry

2002-12-25          46570

It was worth the trip Mark
Golfed yesterday -used the Cub today to blade 8" of snow
Merry Xmas ....