Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC29D Wix engine and hydraulic filters

View my Photos
JimF
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-15          45025

This is for the guys like me that don't like to pay the ridiculously high dealer prices for filters. I have been in contact with the Wix senior techical services manager and he said that they are working on adding the HST filter to their list of filters supplied for this tractor. It is the only filter (air, fuel, oil etc.) that they didn't supply. Other boomers use this same filter.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
creato

2002-11-15          45026

I would stay with the oem filter not all filters are made the same I have seen almost every brand of filter cut apart and compared to fleet Guard (oem filter mfg. for such names as CASEIH, NEW HOLLAND, JOHN DEERE, CAT, CUMMINS, ECT ECT) if you have seen what I HAVE YOU WOULDN'T QUESTION THE PRICE DIFFERENCE. HST FILTER 20 SERIES AND BOOMERS SBA340500770 LIST PRICE $16.04 MOST DEALERS IN MY AREA RUN A 10% TO 15% DISCOUNT ON FILTERS DURING SPRING OPEN HOUSE. STRIKE WHILE THE FIRES HOT. BUT IF YOU'D RATHER PUT A WILL FIT ON ITS UP TO YOU. ....

View my Photos
JimFFF

2002-11-15          45035

I'm happy to stick with Wix, thanks. I've had many years experience with Wix filters and I've never had an engine or transmission failure due to lubrication problems. I think Wix is a quality product. The dealer in my area charges $20 for the HST filter and $33 for the Transmission filter. If he was more reasonable in his pricing then I would be more reasonable about driving 60 miles for his OEM products. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-15          45039

I guess I could cut filters in half and look inside but unless you measure the physical properties of the filter elements I am not sure what you know. As the filter material is the active element the can is just packaging. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-16          45043

Quite awhile ago somebody here did in fact cut some in half. I think a conclusion was that some of the after-market filters that cross-reference to tractor filters have less filter area than factory filters. The long thread probably is still in the archives.

I don't recall if the guy who did the work was able to conclude anything about the quality of filtering. There also are issues such as anti-drainback valves and pressure by-pass valves that after-market filters may have or lack and are different than factory filters. If I recall, after-market filters sometimes had features that factory filters lacked. Whether features such as pressure by-passes are good or bad for a tractor is anybody's guess--especially since hydraulic filters withstand suction on the outlet and engine oil filters withstand pressure on the inlet. I don't know if that actually makes any difference to desirable design and features, but hydraulic and engine oil filters do operate in different environments.

View my Photos
creato

2002-11-16          45046

RIGHT TOM THAT IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO GET ACCROSS BUT I GUESS SOME PLEOPLE LIKE THE COLOR OF THE CAN THE FILTER IS. THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT MAKE UP THE FILTER MICRON IS THE SIZE OF PARTICLES THAT IT WILL FILTER OUT IS THE PAPER PLEATED, COROGATED WHAT HOLDS THE FILTER DOES IT JUST BOUNCE AROUND IN THE CAN OR IS IT ANCHORED SOME HOW. TOTAL AREA OF FILTRATION AND YOU ARE RIGHT SOME APLICATIONS THE DRAIN BACK AND BY PASS ARE OK IN OTHERS IT IS A NO NO. MY DEALERSHIP SELLS 80,000 LBS OF FILTERS A YEAR I HAVE BEEN TO MANY A FILTER MEETING BY MANY MFG. AS THEY ALL WANT YOUR BUSINESS. YOU CAN BE CONFIDENT THE OEM FILTER AND THE COMPANY MAKING IT ARE PROVIDING YOU WITH THE BEST POSSIBLE FILTER FOR THAT APPLICATION. ALSO IF YOU CHOOSE TO BUY FROM A DEALER THAT IS NOT IN LINE WITH HIS PRICING I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HAVE ONE OF MY PARTS PEOPLE GIVE YOU FAIR PRICES FOR TOP QUALITY OEM. FILTERS AS YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE HST. FILTER SUGGESTED LIST AND WHAT JIM IS PAYING IS CLOSE TO 20% DIFFERENCE. NOW BUY WHEN FILTERS ARE ON SALE AND IT COULD BE CLOSE TO 35% DIFFERENT. IT REALLY DOESN'T COST THAT MUCH MORE TO GO FIRST CABIN BUT YOU MAKE YOUR MONEY YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEND AS YOU FEEL. WE ALL WANT TO MAKE THE BEST CHOICE FOR OUR DOLLAR AND I ALSO RESPECT THAT IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU ARE DOING THAT IS GREAT. I ON THE OTHER HAND HAVE SEEN WHAT BAD MANTAINANCE,IMPROPER OIL,POOR QUALITY FILTERS END UP COSTING THE END USER WHEN THE UNIT IS IN THE SHOP. JIM LELM, LELM IMPLEMENT INC. HARVEY N.D. 800-587-5356 FEEL FREE TO GET PRICING FROM MY PEOPLE WE WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP OUT. THANK YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-16          45053

I was going to add that I had equipment in one lab I ran to measure the filter properties but the point is neither I or you can visually tell the difference between a 0.1 micron zero pass filter and a 100 micron filter. We can tell whether there is less element material and whether the can is better. I doubt you can tell the difference between a depth filter element and a simple bypass material either. If you look back the different after market filters we compared and posted.
In general the OEM manufacters are the same people producing the after market items. Just because it has the tractor companies name on the side does not make it a good filter. The Deere filters I use are of good quality and a fair price. The Agco filter for my old MF are not good quality and price therefore I use NAPA. ....

View my Photos
JimFFF

2002-11-17          45076

Peters: "MF are not good quality and price therefore I use NAPA"

Wix makes NAPA filters. Here is a filter study that has a lot of good information.
http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-11-17          45077

Jim, my point is just because a tractor company has someone paint their name on a filter it does not necessarily mean it is a good filter. 90% of the filter performance is the media how do you know that a filter purchased on price by the tractor manufacture is better than a reputable filter manufacture? ....

View my Photos
JimFFF

2002-11-17          45080

I feel exactly the same. Sometimes the bottom line dictates which parts a manufacturer uses on their equipment assembly. I've seen a lot of questionable parts used on my truck! ....

View my Photos
Billy

2002-11-17          45082

The way I look at it is, a reliable company like WIX can replicate any OEM filter made. The problem with hydraulic filters is, will they be able to sell enough of the filters to make it worth the time and money spent tooling for these filters. I sure hope they do. Those OEM transmission filters aren't cheap.

Billy ....

View my Photos
MikeB

2002-11-19          45199

NAPA carries a crossed referenced hydraulic filter for my 33D. ....

View my Photos
Jeffery Salyer

2002-12-02          45650

I too don't want to pay the high price of OEM filters. My local auto parts store are having a hard time cross referencing the filters. Can anyone give me some numbers for the OIl, fuel, Hydrostatic,and Hydraulic filters for a TC33D. Any info appreciated. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2002-12-02          45653

Jeffery,
Wix filter #'s for TC 33D.
Air-42985
Air-46438
Fuel-33264
Hydraulic-57098
Oil-51056
If you take off 1 #(I think it is the First #)it becomes a Napa filter #. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Billy

2002-12-02          45654

Here's a link to Wix filters for the TC33D, Jeffery. I doubt you'll find a hydro filter other than OEM though.

Billy ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
treeman

2002-12-02          45658

SBA340500720 hydraulic filter $27.41
SBA340500890 HST filter $19.37
86546618 engine filter $6.36
SBA360720020 fuel filter $2.67
These are OEM filter numbers and prices as of 3 weeks ago.
When I worked at a Suzuki/Yamaha dealer years ago, I cut apart OEM filters and aftermarket filters. All but one aftermarket even came close to OEM quality. That's why I spend a little more for OEM. ....

View my Photos
TC33

2002-12-03          45664

What was the one that came close to OEM? ....

View my Photos
treeman

2002-12-03          45674

I knew someone would ask that. It's been 13 years since I worked at the bike shop. I can't remember the name of it because it was a uncommon name. The filter eliments were for the Suzuki GS line of cycles. It was not constructed with a metal can around it. You removed a cover, removed the old one from a cavity, and installed the new one. There was spring pressure from one side. The Suzuki filters had a metal support tube running the length of the filter that was welded to the end plates. The Frams and other cheap filters did not have the tube. So with time the filter media would crush down upon itself and would let dirty oil by. If a person would change oil often, they wouldn,t have a problem. If the didn't, they would risk damaging the cyl. head where the cams road directly in the aluminum head. ....

View my Photos
David Carpenter

2002-12-03          45699

I saw a Dodge Tech service bulletin that said some engine failures(5.9l Cummins diesel) had been traced to faulty Wix oil filters. Use of a Wix oil filter on the engine would not be recommended. Considering the legal fallout doubt that Dodge would have said that unless they had concrete proof. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-04          45713

Treeman: My bike wrenching days were much longer ago than that. The comment does remind me of the early days of the Honda 750. I believe service requirements were to change oil filters every 1,000 miles after the initial break in period but maybe even more frequently The spec created a demand for filters that ran the world out of supply. Technically many owners had to stop riding or void their warranties. I was one of those owners even if I was more of a Brit Bike mechanic--which certainly had it's own parts supply nightmares at the time.

I sometimes thought that replacement spec had nothing what so ever to do with the filter performance or life. Your comment about filter elements that compress makes me think that perhaps the replacement spec was right but the filter was just a poor design. Well, in that case it wouldn't have been the only poorly designed part.

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-12-04          45715

David, you ought to post that info in the pick-up truck section of CTB. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login