Go Bottom Go Bottom

All TC35 TC35D TC40 TC40D TC45 45D Fan blades hit plastic fan shroud

View my Photos
Quentin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-27          44287

All New Holland TC35/ TC35D/ TC40 /TC40D owners with the 16LA or 17LA loaders. Look at your fan blade tips and see if they have been hitting the fan shroud. My TC40D has used up one fan and shroud within 100 hrs. of use. Here is the story that New Holland is not telling. The supports on the side of the engine that hold up the front part of the tractor radiator / hyd. cooler and battery also act as front axle stops. When the bucket is loaded on one side and the tractor is on a slight side hill, the front axle pushes on the stops which are also the support arms for the radiator / hyd. cooler and battery. What happens is the axle pushes up on the support arm due to the angle or weight in the bucket causing the support arms to rise and tilt the radiator shrouding into the fan. You cannot hear the fan tips and the inside of the housing being wore off when operating the tractor. If you do not see the wear on the fan tips, check your radiator shrouding that the fan spins in. The bad part of this is that not only is the fan being damaged but the engine also is taking a lot of stress where the supports are bolted on. For example, the internal crank shaft and housing is twisting inside each time the stops are pushed up to move the radiator. The dealer's repair person and I have both told the factory rep. about this and he also agreed and turned it in to the main office for a fix. We also checked other tractors for this and found it was done on all of them. I called and reported it to New Holland main office. I also filed a complaint with customer service and have a reference file number. This was months ago. Last time I checked I was told that they are still working on the fix to this problem. This fix will never happen because it will be a major recall. If they do not get it fixed, the engine some time down the road will break due to the stress of the twisting. No one will be the wiser when it does and New Holland will sell a lot of engine parts. I have about 10 months on my warranty and 260 hrs. on my tractor which needs a fan change again. Be sure to get the water pump changed. This is what is taking the stress holding the fan. I believe New Holland does not want this informantion put out until a new design comes out to fix this problem. I have known this for months but have not put it out waiting for a fix. But I am only one and it will take a lot more complaints than one to get this fixed. The whole tractor loading system will need to be redesigned. Check your tractors to see if the tips of your fan have black marks on it or it is worn off. Run your hand inside the fan housing and feel for rub marks on the housing.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-28          44296

I guess it goes without saying that the fan shouldn't be contacting the shroud. However, if it's off-centre loads in the bucket that cause the contact, maybe a solution is to avoid off-centred loads, which is fairly standard operating technique.

I don't think axles are supposed to contact the stops very often. If have the idea, the front axle pivot allows the front and rear axles to be on different slopes. I think it takes a pretty large difference in slopes before the front axles go against a stop. I believe that has happened to me only once and a front wheel did lift off the ground.

I don't know how the loader frame mounts on the tractor. I suppose if the side rails are involved an off-centre load could distort a rail into the axle. I have a 1710 that is similar to some TC's and I'll have to look to see how my loader frame mounts. I believe that quite a few things on the 1710 mount onto the side rails or cross-members so off-centre loads could move the rad, battery etc. around and conceivably the fan could contact the shroud.

I'll have to think through the engine stress idea. Off the top of my head, I think that internal engine components are supported by the cast block, and castings don't distort. Off-centred loads may create torsion on the entire engine and cases but I think that the case mounting bolts would be more likely failure points.

Don't know! Just trying to think it through. I would follow it up with NH and I would think about avoiding off-centre loads.

View my Photos
Brian Marchessault

2002-10-28          44324

Thanks for the tip. My TC35D is need of a new fan and my dealer is blowing me off saying its something i'm doing.
Do you have the address and claim # for reference, as well I would love to send a copy to my dealership which I'm not very happy with. They picked up my tractor for warranty work which I did not want completed but the interesting part is they never notified me that they were picking it up and never left a note. We thought it was stolen and reported it to the state police. Kudos to those troopers for they found it and were furious and they pressed charges. The dealer thought I was being unreasonalbe imagine that. I will not buy another NH for this reason but love reading everyone stories being success or failure. By the way I've learned more about my tractor from you folks than any dealer could ever tell me. One for all folks, dont ever buy the light kit, for $25 at NAPA you will have 2 halogen lights, Tie into the white wire on the hazard lights. ....

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2002-10-28          44326

I just came in from the garage. I looked at the fan and shroud of my 2001 TC40D with loader and supersteer. After about 150 hours on it,all with the loader on and many on slopes (and also on 3 wheels while running over stumps) I see no problems. I have also used the side edge of the bucket for levering out stumps. ....

View my Photos
Quentin

2002-10-28          44340

I do not know of any TC40D tractors with supersteer that have reported this problem. It may not happen on the supersteer tractors due to the extra turning radius. If the use of your tractor is on level ground and no side hills it will not show any problem of fan rub. ....

View my Photos
Bates

2002-12-26          46590

I am about to purchase a TC40D dealership semo, with 58 hours, theis unit has the fan rub marks described. The marks are only on the right side of the fan housing, and there is a lot more room on the left side, however, this really concerns me.
I havn't signed the papers for ownership yet... any updates on the real cause, and a factory fix for this obvious flaw in design? ....

View my Photos
RayH

2003-02-12          49128

Just checked my TC40D with LA16 loader and have not found any marks. My unit is almost 2 years old and I operate it in the hilly / rough terrian of Northern New England. I'm always operating on unlevel surfaces but always try to level any load in my bucket for safety reasons. Are you sure about your information? La17 loaders only come on TC's with supersteer. Could it be an operator induced problem. If fact as I think about this I have a backhoe also and you would think that would cause a similar problem.

Let us know what New Holland says about this issue. ....

View my Photos
HOEMAN00

2003-02-24          49880

I've got a new 35D w/o loader and the fan hits the shroud
when I'm going over ruts or anything that makes the front
axle hit the stops. ....

View my Photos
esfd109

2003-04-26          53787

I just checked my 2001 TC45 with a 16LA loader for the fan and shroud problem, and didn't see any damage. I have used my loader for dirt, gravel, and heavy rocks used in landscaping, without any problems. Alot of times the bucket was loaded heavier to one side. I asked my New Holland dealer in Northwest Missouri, and this is the first he had heard of the problems. ....

View my Photos
Quentin

2003-05-01          54143

5-1-03 Have just talked with the factory rep. and also engineering rep. the only fix they have is to slot the fan guard and split the difference in space from right to left side. Of course this does not fix the main problem it just give more space to the fan blade that was hitting the side of the guard. The stops are still pushing the radiator into the fan it just takes a little more movement for it to hit. As of 5-1-03 they do not have a fix for this and they do not expect one soon. They do agree that it is not right, that is a step foward. Plus they did say that my tractor is not the only one with this problem. They have taken pictures of the damage to my second fan blade and housing. As a help to show what the problem is. If you have any of this damage I would advise you take dated pictures of the parts and their damage before they replace them. In case your waranty runs out, as to have proof of the existing problem. ....

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-05-30          55988

My tc45 is fine and I do mostly loader work on uneven ground
even loppsided work with sides of the bucket. My tractor as almost 1000 hrs. on it. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-30          56009

I have a TC45 with 16LA. I lift heavy loads and work uneven ground. NO problem. ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-05-31          56094

I checked mine,,NO problems here!!!!!! ....

View my Photos
richardgd

2003-06-19          58014

I checked my TC45 last night and one of my fan blades is broke in half and the others have black on the tips from the shroud. I think my waranty was up 2 months ago so I'll have to see what the dealer says. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login