Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC29D

View my Photos
Justus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-28          39899

I own 2 1/2 acres of land, all grass with a few trees. I presently own a 17hp Cub Cadet (60 inch deck) that I've had for 12 years. I'm VERY seriously considering getting a TC29D 4wd with the intention of getting the 60 inch or perhaps even the 72 inch rear discharge deck. I've also considered getting the 78 inch snow plow as I have about 150 ft of driveway (paved) to plow. Some people have suggested that that tractor is "overkill" and that I'm paying for things I won't use. My own opinion is that my 17 horse (diesel) Cub is OK if the grass isn't too high but it's a lot of work if the grass is high or a little wet. I just feel the TC29D will probably make short work of it, making it easier on both the machine and me.
My questions:
(1)Am I crazy for considering spending 18K for the above euipment?
(2)At 50 years of age, will I STILL be happy with the performance of this machine when/if I'm 75? Thanks for any input.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC29D

View my Photos
TC29 in Wa.

2002-06-28          39901

Justus:
I bought my new TC29, two months ago. And currently use it for maintaining my three acres. Its equipped with a Woods 1012 loader and a Woods 7500 backhoe. at the same time i bought a bought a new First Choice 72" rear discharge finish mower, from Buy Smart in North Carolina.I use this tractor for mowing and landscaping around the new house. And it works great for this. It used to take 8 to 9 hours to mow the lawn using a 25 hp Craftsman with a 48 inch deck
now I've got it down to around 4 hours. The downside to it, if you can call it that. Is that the phone keeps rnging all the time, with offers of mowing jobs and backhoe work from my neighbors and their freinds. Now I realize alittle extra money and seat time is nice. This is starting to get out of hand. I hadn't intended to start a second career, just to get a nice tool that I can really enjoy. I encourage you to do the same. Just beware of those pesky neighbors.

TC29D

View my Photos
TC29 in Wa.

2002-06-28          39902

By the way if your going to be in the market for a good rear discharge 3pt finish mower. Check out the ones by First Choice. I just can't say enough about these fine mowers. They are almost an exact clone of the Landpride FDR25 series, with some improvements added. And at a price considerably cheaper than Landpride,Woods or Befco. Its nice to know that a company can still build a quality product with out over inflating the price. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-29          39907

Justus,
I originally bought my TC29 to mow about 3-1/2 acres of yard; it cut my mowing time in half. Since then, we bought a house with 6 acres of land that needs some mowing and a lot of landscaping/clearing. Couldn't be without the tractor. Get what you want and don't look back.
Bill ....

TC29D

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-29          39912

I bought my TC33D this past winter. I got the 72" side discharge belly mower and am very happy with it. I mow about 5 to 6 acres with it and snow plow 300' of driveway. After using it I wonder why I didn't get one years ago. I use a 72" Rhino rear blade for the snow. My mowing takes only half the time now. I was using a 20hp Cub Cadet with a 60" deck. The TC has much larger tires and the suspension seat so it rides ALOT better. My body doesn't take a beating after a days worth of mowing. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
Justus

2002-06-29          39924

To TC29 in Wa, Mullens and Treeman, thanks VERY much for the input. I plan on finalizing the deal on the TC29 on Monday. My neighbor continues to tell me it's "overkill", but I don't think so. I told him that one of these days more of the neighbors here will wise up and trade the toy tractors in for a real one. My thanks again. Oh, Mullens, I'm not going to look back. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
TCowner

2002-06-30          39927

Justus, So your neighbor thinks your TC29D is overkill? Please keep us posted on the number of times he either borrows your tractor or asks you to do a job for him. I'm surrounded by neighbors/relatives that also think my TC40D and JD X595 tractors and attachments are overkill. But they keep arriving at my door to borrow or ask me to do the job for them. Maybe that is why they have new campers/motorhomes/motorcycles/snowmobiles and I don't. I'm learning to say no. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-06-30          39942

Justus, be sure to propose a pulling contest with your neighbor after you get the TC. Hehe.
Bill ....

TC29D

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-01          39959

My neighbour also though my tractor was over kill, then he mowed my lawn with his small mower. I can mow ~ 3 acres in 1.5 - 2 hrs (centipee) it takes 6 or more hours with the 48" mower.
Look on the bright side, if worst comes to worst, you can always buy more land. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-07-01          39963

My neighbor thinks my tractor is a toy, but he farms 1000 acres. You only live once and if you Like the Tc29D as much as I and many othe posters you will have a ball! ....

TC29D

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-02          39975

The only thing faster than that 72" belly deck for mowing my three acres of lawn was the Grasshopper I had, it saved the trim time with the hand mower but still bounced you around pretty good. I now use the hour once or so a week behind the trimmer as my exercise for the day, puts a different perspective on it and actually turns a normally unproductive expenditure of energy into something productive. Now, if I can sell this idea and start a mowing business I could be rich. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
Justus

2002-07-02          39982

I tried to order the TC29D yesterday (Monday, July 1st) with the 72 inch rear discharge belly mower but the Dealer said that New Holland did not yet have the new interest rates and they would not let him write it up under the old rates. He called them twice trying to get answers. He had told me beforehand that things were going to change on the 1st of July so it's my own fault. The new rates are a little higher which is a disappointment. I went through high school with this guy and believe what he's telling me. For the TC29D with the 72 inch rear discharge deck, a grease gun, a flood light that they will mount on the back and an extra oil filter I will be paying $16,610. That's taxes, and other fees included. They have a TC33D there and he said the difference in price betweent that and the TC29 was about $600. Now I'm just a little tempted to go that route. If I go with the 29 will I later say I could have gotten the 33 for $600 more? ....

TC29D

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-07-02          39983

Of course you'll wish you had went with the larger one. Then again at some point, you'll wish the one you get was a bit smaller. If it were me, I'd go with the 33. You won't regret going to be bigger unit. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
BKColeman

2002-07-02          39984

I believe I would get the 33D if it were me. Since they are both the same size physically, you shouldn't be losing anything in manuverability. The weight difference isn't that great either. I'm certain you won't regret the additional HP. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
TC33

2002-07-02          39987

I have a 72 rear discharge on my TC33 and am glad I don't have a 29 with the same mmm ... my mmm is a new holland brand I think it is a 914 although I am not even sure it is a rear discharge and more of a mulcher.... it doesn't leave any windrows but DOES require more horses to cut with....

You didn't say if you are getting SS... I wouldn't buy another tractor without it..... I guess I will be buying NH in the future if the others don't get on board... the feature is GREAT for mowing around trees... ....

TC29D

View my Photos
Billy

2002-07-02          39988

What is this Super Steer I keep hearing so much about?

Billy ....

TC29D

View my Photos
Justus

2002-07-02          39989

TC33,
No, neither the 29D nor the 33D I've been looking at have SS. (Billy, with SS the front axle turns along with the front wheels enabling a VERY tight turn.) I don't have a lot of trees and the NH's seem to turn in a pretty tight circle w/o it. I'm sure it's a very nice feature but right now I don't want to spend the extra money on it. I've decided against the power angle snowplow (again because of the expense) and may, in the future, get a back blade for the plowing. I've learned long ago to never say never and someday I may buy more property and be looking to put a backhoe or loader on it. This will be my first REAL tractor so I don't know a lot about the subject and I'm not going to pretend that I do. Just when I had made up my mind about the 29D and was able to get some sleep, now I'm in a quandry as to whether to get the
33D instead. Sorry Mullens, I'm double guessing myself already! I've appreciated everyone's input. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
Billy

2002-07-02          39992

I don't know the differences between a 29 and 33 but if you think it's worth $600 more I would go for it. That is if it fits your needs. I would hate for you to be sorry you didn't go for the gusto! Been there, done that.

Billy ....

TC29D

View my Photos
TC33

2002-07-03          40012

I would think about having a mmm that might need more power that a standard side throw. I can tell you having driven both the side throw and the read discharge the extra horses will make a big difference.... ....

TC29D

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-07-03          40017

Justus,
I believe I'd get the 33. Even though traction is usually the limiting factor in the work that I do with my 29 (it has plenty of power-I mow with a 5' deck), the 6' mower would be better with a little more hp, and you'll have the extra power if you ever need to cut with a Brush Hog. I see no downside to the larger engine other than the money. Plus, it will really aggravate your neighbor! Tell him you decided that the 29 hp just wasn't enough.
Bill ....

TC29D

View my Photos
treeman

2002-07-03          40019

I have a TC33D with the 72" MMM side discharge. After removing the spring loaded side chute I don't get the wind rows. The only problem is on really windy days grass blows around a bit. Having it off allows me to mow up to things on either side of the mower. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-03          40021

I did the same thing on my tc29d. That is a great cutting deck. In fact, on smooth surfaces, it is the easiest deck to slide on and off due to the hard plastic wheels as opposed to the softer rubber ones on the Kubota and the need to turn the casters on the JD. On a rough surface or in grass and gravel, forget it. The 29 has more than enough power for a 72", I would go for the super steer for the extra $$ if you have any amount of trimming to do. On a shorter machine such as my 2910 turning radius is not much of an issue but it might be on the NH. The one thing I do miss with the Kubota is the full time FWD that comes with the SS option. I have a couple of bare spots on the hill around my pool to prove it. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
Justus

2002-07-16          40423

I got my TC33D two weeks ago and I love it. I have the 72 inch rear discharge MMM. It doesn't seem fair to cut my grass with this machine, it's too much fun. Thanks again for everyone's input. ....

TC29D

View my Photos
TC33

2002-07-16          40424

Good to see you decided on the 33! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login