Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
chris82715
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-21          38886

I haven't heard of anyone having a similar problem, but my TC40 (28 hours) wouldn't start the other day. I found the #2 fuse blown and replaced it only to have it blow when I tried to start the tractor. My dealer says they have had some problems with the fuel solenoid causing this, and they are supposed to be out to repair it tomorrow. Just a heads up, and I'll let you know what the fix is.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-05-22          38899

That's good to know. Did the dealer go into whether it was a rash of defective solenoids or something else to cause the failure? ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-22          38909

Chris,

I don't know if this is related, but my tc29d would not start the first time after it was delivered. I went through a box of fuses trying to find the problem and it turned out to be a shorted glow plug in the pre-heat system. The instant you would hit the key the fuse popped. ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
Steve W

2002-05-22          38912

That is really strange, one week ago I couldn't get my TC40 started. It is 120hrs on it. Guess what it was the same fuse ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-23          38926

It's got my curiosity up a bit, and I'm curious what size of fuse was blowing. Glow plugs draw quite a bit of current. Wiring systems are different, but on my Ford 1710 the glow plug circuit doesn't run through the fuse box. Protection is provided by a fusible link, which also protects other circuits. Fusible links are sort of like main breakers. Such a design avoids bringing high current wiring into the fuse box, but it's a pain if the fusible link ever blows. Fortunately, newer tractors don't have fusible links, but I don't know what replaced them. ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
chris82715

2002-05-23          38944

Ok, here is the scoop from my dealer. The #2 fuse (10 amp) covers the fuel solenoid and a couple other things I can't remember. they say that the solenoid draws a lot of amps, and coupled with the other draw while starting, this overloads the fuse. They installed a circiut breaker in the fuse slot and say this should take care of it. Apparently there is nothing wrong with the solenoids, there is just too much draw for the circuit
On a second note, I was having problems with the brake release. I would set the brake and then when climbing off the tractor it would release. NH has issued a service bulletin on this and they have a new setup to be installed, including new brake pedals and brackets.

I'll let you know if anything else comes up.

CT ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-05-23          38948

What size breaker did they install? If they installed a larger one is the wiring sufficient? Sounds like NH didn't do their field testing thouroughly enough. ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-23          38950

Tom, I no longer have the machine so I can't check the fuse size. It was a seperate link though. ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-24          38973

It makes sense that glow plugs have their own link. I think the cold glow plug draw on many tractors would be more than 30A. Certainly there's enough capacity below the fused protection level to heat things up and potentially start fires. Seems like good design if high current carrying wires don't run anyplace they don't have to.

Regarding NH replacing a fuse with a breaker: The breaker could be the same value as the fuse. I think breakers take a bit longer to pop than ordinary fuses. I know there are slow-blow fuses used in circuits that feed electric motors, but I think these fuses are too slow to provide protection for devices other than motors.

If the fuel solenoid has a startup surge and that's what's popping the fuse, a breaker may fix the problem. At any rate, the solution may seem a bit odd, but you've got to go with the factory solution and assume it's adequately engineered. Another possibility is that the wiring is over-designed to start with and a slightly larger fuse/breaker is within what ever standards apply.

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
chris82715

2002-05-25          39022

It is a 10 amp breaker they installed. I have started the tractor about a dozen times since and have had no problems. so far so good! ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
Quentin

2002-05-27          39103

Have had the same problem with TC40D fuses. This is what I have found. The top of the fuse box is under the dashboard. When it rains or the dashboard gets wet, the water drains off depending on the angle of the tractor in different directions. If the tractor is parked at an angle for the water to run under the dashboard and drip into the top of the fuse box which is not covered and should be with a plastic cap that New Holland did not make for it, it will be caught by a fuse on which it has dripped onto. If you start the tractor before the water has dried up on the fuse leggs, it shorts out the fuse. In most cases because the New Holland engineers have wired all the safety features in a series, meaning that if one fuse or one wire related to the starting system is shorted out, the tractor will not start. I had this problem after 10 hrs after washing my tractor. It will also short a fuse while washing down your engine. If sitting on the tractor, on the right side is a hole where the throttle cable passed through the fire wall to the throttle lever. If water is shot in this hole while washing engine, it splashes up inside and fills up fuse block causing fuses to short. I have used some foam tape between the cables on both sides of the fire wall to close off this hole. Have told the New Holland repairman about this problem and eight months have passed, and so far have not seen a cover for the fuse block. Will probably have to make one. ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-28          39106

Good info from Quentin. The problem sounds similar to discussion about cruse control that enables itself. It sounds like newer engineering designs aren't anticipating the environments tractors actually will operate in very well. Tractors have traditionally sat in the rain. Pressure washers are fairly new and people do use them. Even though I don't have a washer personally, washers are a part of a tractor's operating environment and tractors should be designed for it or a tech note issued.

Here's a story I heard for comparison. In the early days of the Honda 450 motorcycle, some engines in N.A. broke down quickly, and the engineers couldn't figure out why. A Honda team came from Japan and rode around on the streets with a few N.A. riders for awhile. The conclusion was that N.A. riders start the bike, hop on and roar away. Japanese riders warm them up. An upgraded engine oiling system fixed the problem. Engineering design wasn't done from the perspective of how the bikes were actually used in N.A.

A thought just came to mind that probably a lot of care should be taken using pressure washers on tractors that have rubber boots around shifting levers that are on top of the TX cases. On many tractors, faulty boots allow water from ordinary rains to collect and run into the TX. I know the boot on my 1710 is shot, but I haven’t gotten around to replacing it because I know I am saved for the most part by my canopy.

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
Brian48348

2003-06-17          57872

I just purchased a new TC33D 3 weeks ago, and there is a rubber cover over the fuse block. I have a different problem after 18H of operation the 10A fuse blows in 5-20min consistantly. The dealer told me to put in a 10A breaker. I did that and the 30A main fuse blew. I replaced it and the tractor will not start at all, just got towed back to the dealer. I am very dissappointed to purchase such a product and have such poor reliability. ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
Kenne

2003-06-17          57888

I just bought a TC33D and at 26 hours the 10-amp fuse blew. Thanks to this board I knew what to do and had some spares on hand. Apparently trying to start the engine while the hazard lights were blinking was too much. ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-18          57911

Hang in there Brian! It is a bugger but it probably will be sorted out.

Breakers are generally slower blow than most fuses but I wonder where the circuit is getting the surge to pop the 30A main. Both lights and solenoids have initial surges. I don't know if lights and the fuel solenoid are on the same circuit but maybe the pull-in solenoid plus lighting load would do it. However, owners shouldn't have to think about such things. Circuit protection shouldn't be very complicated engineering unless a cost cutting management got involved and crammed several surge loads on the same circuit. I'd expect a NH factory fix pretty soon and maybe there's some new engineering or management staff already (or there should be). ....

TC40D fuses

View my Photos
larry

2003-06-18          57923

Looks like you people have a genuine problem with your
New Hollands you should start making complaints as a gruop to the Company.It should be dealt with properly ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login