Go Bottom Go Bottom

new holland 1920

View my Photos
soundguy34421
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-23          34871

How does the 1920 compare to an approximate equal sized boomer? The 1920 is 32 or 33 hp I believe. Has a 4 cyl engine also.

Anyone use both?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

new holland 1920

View my Photos
tgello

2002-01-23          34872

i've been told that the 1920 series tractors are heavier than the boomers. if its 30-35 horses it would be somwhat comparable to the 33-35 .the 35 is a bigger framed trctor than the 33. the 33 is 3 cyl.as is the 35. if your going for a work horse i'd go with the 1920. if you wan't more comfort and ease of operation and med. duty i'd go with the boomer. ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-01-23          34873

Soundguy, my neighbor has a 1920. I have been looking at TC33's. The 1920 is definately a larger size frame. The 1920 is a 4 cyl 33 hp and the TC33 is a 3 cyl 33 hp. I would compare the 1920 to the TC35. The TC35 is a
large frame with a 4 cyl. I am not sure what the displacement is on the 1920, but I would guess that it is larger
than the TC33 engine but produces the power at a lower rpm. Just my thoughts. Maybe someone else knows
for sure. ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-01-23          34874

OOPS, sorry! The TC35 is a 3 cyl 101.1 cu inch displacement. ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-24          34878

According to tractortips.com, the Ford 1920 has a 4 cyl/122 ci Shibaura engine and weights 3296 lbs.. NH took over the Ford compact line. I don't know how much if any changes were made.

I usually think of PTO HP rather than engine HP since it's a better measure of available power, and some drive trains are more efficient than others. PTO HP for a 1920 is given as 29HP. The TC33D is given as 33 engine HP (3cyl/91 ci) and 27 PTO HP. The difference probably is due to the 1920 being speced with a gear TX and the TC33D speced with HST.

Hope this is correct, I have noticed a few errors in tractortips specs.

new holland 1920

View my Photos
soundguy34421

2002-01-24          34882

From what I see here, it is pretty much a consensus that the 1920 is a 'bigger' tractor than the tc 33 / 35. That is impression that I got. I sat on both the 1920, tc 25? 33 and 35. The boomers sure look nice though. I ended up getting the 1920 as the dealer made me a deal I just couldn't walk away from.

Anyone know where i can get specs on my 1920? specifically i need 3pt lift capacity, as I would like to move some round bales of hay around.

Thanks to all who replied. ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
John Mc

2002-01-24          34889

Most people I've spoken to compare the 1920 to the TC40. At first look, the TC35 seems closer, it has only a 3 cylinder engine, while both the TC40 and 1920 have 4 cylinder, 121.7 cu in displacement engines. The TC 40 is rated 40 HP @ 2600 RPM, the 1920 is rated 33.3 @ 2500 RPM. If you are running them at equal RPMs, the HP is pretty darn close. All three models are similar weight, length, width, and wheelbase.

The TC33 is not a comparable tractor. Significantly smaller than any of the above.

3 pt hitch capacity of the 1920 is 2795# at the hitch, 2187# at 24" aft of the hitch. easily enough to lift the round bales I've seen (weight 800 to 1000#). In fact, you can probably lift one with the FEL, if you put a bale spear on it.

John ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-25          34907

Congrats! Hope you like it. You will have to get used to far fewer knobs, levers and flashing lights than are on a sound console though--assuming you're that kind of soundguy. ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
soundguy34421

2002-01-28          35028

Tomg - Yeah, I am. At work, I mostly use a mackie SR32-4.
You a musician / engineer?
Later ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-29          35059

Yep, I had a sideline sound/lighting company for 10 years. Did most of the engineering myself. Unfortunately, I had too many low budget clients and did too much of the roady work too. My own PA was moderate size--PA 10,000W total with 12 lighting fixtures. It got to be pretty interesting when I was regularly working international touring bands. Some huge stars in other parts of the world play small venues touring in N.A., and my company was well suited for that buz. The music and audiences are terrific. I am a musician and understood the music, which helps.

Of course, ultimately putting in 20-hour days on weekends and then getting up Monday morning for the day job doesn't work. I also discovered that I liked being in front of audiences better than behind. I played percussion (mostly congas) for several singer/writers, usually as duos or trios. (That's the way economics in regional clubs work). I was lucky, because the songs were good enough that we had good audiences and didn't have to play covers. I also got to bed by time I'd still be tearing down the system in the sound biz.

Guess I'd better add something relevant to tractors. I wear the 15DB cut mineral fiber earplugs I had made for the sound biz now on the tractor. The cut is linear enough plugs that I could mix OK while using them. Many of the audiences liked huge sound levels and I'd be deaf by now without the plugs. Because the mineral fiber plugs don't sop up the high frequencies like foam one, I think I hear sounds that I need to hear on the tractor that I might miss if I used foam plugs.

new holland 1920

View my Photos
Soundguy34421

2002-01-29          35064

Tomg
Yep, I do the day job 7-5, and then the night gig thing. One day I gotta stop. The venue I work for generally has cover bands, but about twice a year they will bring in a 'real' headline for me to run.
And speaking ok sound protection, I too worry / worried about the spl at the gig, and got into the habbit of wearing a decent set of headphones, as aooposed to an ear plug. I've carried that practice over to the tractor. I installed one of those fender mount radios on the tractor, and use a good set of phones on it. I've found that the phones block almost all of the tractor sound, and I can run the radio at a fairly low volume and listen to some tunes while plowing. I had been just listening to the radio -over- the tractor.. but that was defeating the purpose, and making it louder altogether.

new holland 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-30          35083

I'll try to keep close to tractor related subjects--with some difficulty. The main relevance is that hearing loss from noise is epidemic in N.A.. People in the sound and music buz should be experts because most of us say huh and what a lot. The same problem affects full-time farmers, equipment operators and other occupations.

The diesel exhaust that blasts away next to your ear is an issue even for 100-hour/year compact owners--especially if chainsaws are added to the mix. So, if anybody wants to know about hearing loss, just ask soundguys. We'll tell you if you don't mind repeating the question several times. It's real, it happens. It takes years, and you don't know it's happening until you find you can't carry on a conversation in a crowed room without sticking your ear in somebody's mouth. It's also irreversible.

I’ve heard of headphones that use phase inversion to cancel ambient noise. Maybe the phones have build-in radios, but I think the application was a hands-off cell phone system. I know the idea works since the phase inversion trick is commonly used to control feedback in stage monitor systems. It’s interesting but maybe a bit gadget ridden. I suspect that shooters’ muffs would do a better job of cutting ambient noise, but then the diesel exhaust would be the only music to ones ears.

new holland 1920

View my Photos
John Mc

2002-01-30          35100

TomG-

Those headphones that use phase inversion are used by a lot of pilots of small aircraft (don't need it in the quiet cockpit of the big ones). They have headsets (earphones w/ a mic on a boom) with around 25 dB passive noise reduction (i.e. they muffle the sound) and active noise reduction (ANR -- the phase inversion part) adding from 15 to 25 dB additional protection. They are NOT cheap: range from $300 up to about $1000. My wife and I both have some of the lower-end ones. We're convinced that they are a significant safety benefit: in addition to saving your hearing, it's easier to hear Air Traffic Control, and it makes a long flight less tiring (I never would have thought noise made me tired, but it does seem to make a difference).

They do make some less expensive versions without the microphone and with less of the passive reduction, but I'm pretty sure the impedance is wrong if you wanted to plug it into a radio or walkman. ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
Soundguy34421

2002-01-31          35122

A good way to see if you are being exposed to too high spl ( sound pressure level ) is if you are working around a set level of sound, ( like a band running at the same db for x number of sets, or a tractor at a similar rpm while working )... if you gradually feel that the sound is getting lower, you are experiencing sound fatigue... Sometimes I step outside on break from the music.. when I come back in, I am astonished.... Heck.. we run 96b measured at the sound booth, and we are 75 feet from the stage.... yikes! ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-31          35124

Contrary to my comments about gadgetry, phones with a variable level of inverted phase feedback might be a good thing. That way, the amount of noise rejection would be variable and could adjusted for various operating conditions. Some things on the tractor I just have to hear irrespective of the effect on my ears. On the other hand, I'd probably crank the rejection all the way up for chainsaws. These phones would have been good for my brief flying career in the early '60's. The plane was so basic that the radio didn't have ground control frequencies. When we used a radio controlled airport, there was a lot of relaying of messages back and forth, which couldn't always be heard clearly.

A bit more on hearing damage. Not all frequencies damage equally. Human hearing has a band of frequencies, starting just over 2K where hearing is especially sensitive, and that's where damage first occurs. This range is especially important in providing clarity to speech. These are the frequencies that you really don’t want in noise. I don’t know about diesels. Maybe I’ll see if my old spectrum analyzer still works. I don’t think I have to analyze a chainsaw.

The fastest muscle in the body is a little one that clamps onto a middle ear bone. It acts like a mechanical compressor and protects the inner ear. The muscle contracts in exposure to high sound levels and whenever we vocalize. That's why artillerymen say 'ahhhh' before firing and babies can cry without going deaf.

When loud sound starts seeming quieter, that's the muscle trying to protect the ear. You start noticing the quiet when these muscles start fatiguing, because they stay contracted and start clamping both the louds and the quiets (like all muscles, they will cramp). After about 20-minutes of high SPL, these muscles really fatigue and simply give up. That's when the real hearing damage starts.

new holland 1920

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-01-31          35126

I have found this conversation about sound and hearing damage very interesting. When I use my 25 hp kohler powered ZTR, I found that my ears would ring after I was finished using it. Ditto for my 18 HP yardman. I have never found any ear strain after using my 18Hp diesel. I now use both 29Db reduction headphones and 29db reduction foam earplugs. I am amazed that my friends and coworkers resist using any type of ear protection. Many of these guys laugh and think I am being absurd. It's amazing that some people would rather go deaf than protect themselves. ....

new holland 1920

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-31          35127

Ringing ears always is a sign of hearing damage. Damage is cumulative and irreversible. One day it just doesn't stop ringing, and that's where many people in the sound and music buz are.

What probably can be guessed is that the ringing is within the frequency range of the increased hearing sensitivity (called a threshold shift) that was mentioned. The thing about hearing loss is that it's the quiets that go. Once you hear something (called the threshold) it’s probably about as loud as it sounds to anybody else. The trouble is that damage raises the thresholds. What happens is that the harmonics in speech that are important for clarity aren't very loud. When thresholds for these frequencies are raised, (within the threshold shift range) you can hear somebody talking in a crowded room just fine. The sound is muddy and you catch about every third word.

I don't know why people refuse hearing protection either. It does get a little tricky for live sound engineers because most hearing protection changes the way a room sounds, and that can affect the mix, which affects the happiness of audiences, musicians and promoters. Sound engineers can make a lot of enemies fast and are the first to be blamed for any unhappiness.

new holland 1920

View my Photos
John Mc

2002-01-31          35131

TomG said: "phones with a variable level of inverted phase feedback might be a good thing. That way, the amount of noise rejection would be variable and could adjusted for various operating conditions. Some things on the tractor I just have to hear irrespective of the effect on my ears."

The level is not adjustable in any of the aviation headsets I've seen. I have noticed something unusual, however. In a plane, the importance of hearing anything unusual tkaes on a whole new meaning. Contrary to what I expected, I can pick out changes in the type of sound on a long flight BETTER with the ANR headset than I can with no headset or with a Passive NR model. I think just the sheer volume of the noise with little or no protection makes it tough to pick out the changes. Reducing it to a more manageable level makes it easier to hear the subtleties.

The ANR headsets I've used do target certain frequencies more than others. You can also flip a swith to shut off the ANR feature, and use them just as a passive headset, so I guess there is a bit of "adjustment"

If anyone wants to try some out, two of the better rated, less expensive brands are LightSpeed (models 15XL, 20XL, and 25XL) and a company who make what I think is called the DRE 6000 (or DRE 600?). Many airports sell ANR headsets: at a small airport just walk up and ask, at the larger ones, you need to find the "General Aviation" terminal. Many of these places will let you try one on. Put one on, go outside and listen to a prop plane. Turn the ANR feature on and off as you listen. Have someone talk/yell while you have it on... you can still hear them.

John Mc ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login