Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Mrwurm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-12-20          33921

I am considering buying a TC33D with the 72 inch rear discharge mower.
I am not getting the supersteer option. Any comments on this mower or the side discharge mower. Their use, value, maintenance, etc.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2001-12-20          33922

I have seen where a read discharge leaves a wind row look. When you throw it out the side you can run over it in the next cut and mulch it up a bit more. With the center you normally don't run over it again.

My thoughts! ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-12-20          33923

Rear discharge leaves a windrow? Hmm, I thought that was one advantage of the rear discharge; less windrowing because it's spread across behind the mower. At least that's been my experience. In tall, thick grass only, I do get some windrowing, but not as much as when I had a side discharge mower. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2001-12-20          33924

Right now, my side discharge mower leaves me with no choice as far as discharge direction. My wife has a lot of flower garden areas that are less that ten feet apart. I must choose to blow the clippings in one garden or the other. I have a 2.5 acre lot with a lot of places where I just have to shoot the grass out the side and make a mess. My idea is that I will be happier with a rear discharge so I can go to the right or left of obstacles. I am not picky about my lawn and windrowing is not a concern. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-12-20          33929

When the mowers are windrowing there are reasons for it. The most common is that the grass should have been mowed sooner just the same as a side discharge. Now for the tough part, Different design mowers mow better than others in different conditions. Here in central NY we often have spring grass growth up to 3" in a week which is to much to cut weekly or less and not have windrows much less it's not good for the grass to cut 50% or more at a time. One option that doen't get addressed on the board to much is the thoughts of a flail mower. They do use more horsepower than a rotary mower but they are a rear discharge that doesn't windrow. Depending on terrain they can work well on heavier occasional use of light brush hogging. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Danny Yerks

2001-12-20          33930

I have a Landpride FDR2572 rear discharge 72" finish mower. There's no need to go over the clippings again because this mower mulches them the first time through. The only time I have any problems with windrowing or clumping is when the grass is too tall and damp. I have one area in my yard that stays pretty moist all spring and the grass grows fast and gives me some trouble, so I just set the mower a little higher for that area until it finally dries up. Previously, I had a side discharge and it left long clippings that needed to be raked. Rear discharge has lots of advantages: can go around either CW or CCW, can trim on either side, it mulches, saves time overall because there’s less time spent maneuvering. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2001-12-20          33933

Ok, does anyone have thoughts on the following. My lawn is very rough, it never had a final grade. The NH belly mowers follow the ground contours on their four little hard wheels. Will the bumps and holes on my lawn tear up this mower? Can I use this mower as a hanging type and take the weight off the little wheels?

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-12-20          33934

My understanding is that the wheels are there more to prevent scalping than to run contimuously on the lawn as they would for a 3pt mower. At any rate the wheel are large enough that rough ground does not affect the cut much.
With my rear discharge mower I only get wind rowing if I have leaves or needles on the grass. They are not nicely difined. With the side discharge I had I could blow the leaves into wind row and then rake them into my trailer.
As stated before different glass and different locations require different solutions. I have centipee in the yard. It does not grow very high and therefore without the wind rows I find it more difficult to determine where I have cut ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Danny Yerks

2001-12-20          33936

My lawn is also kind of rough in places. That's one of the reasons I didn't get the belly mower. Not because I was worried about tearing it up, but because the track width of the wheels are pretty far apart, since they're way out at the edges of the deck, and that would result in more problems with scalping. The Landpride pull behind has the caster wheels closer together. Plus, the Landpride has a deeper deck, which provides better mulching. Another advantage of the rear type is that it's easier to clean the underside of it since I can raise it way up. Of course, I always put jack stands under it before I go under it! However, I can see where the belly mower would be easier to operate, since there’s no swinging out on turns and you don’t have to look behind you so much. Price was another issue for me, since the belly mower was much more expensive. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-12-20          33937

I agree, Danny, and another consideration is the fact that the 3-point mower can be used with different tractors while a belly mower is brand specific; hard to sell if you want to change mowers, and if you ever change tractors, you have to also change mowers. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Tim Connolly

2002-01-10          34422

I have the same set up with the TC 33D and the Landpride finish mower with rear discharge.
I found the rear discharge mower wasn't much different than the side discharge I used previously.
Again it really makes a difference whether the grass is fairly high or wet.
In Maine I usually have to mow twice a week in the early summer to keep up with it and prevent any windrowing with either type of discharge.
I use a pull behind lawn sweeper if the mower leaves rows or the clippings are too thick. I let them sit until noon the following day and they will lift like fleece and take up much less room in the catcher. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
VA Yankee

2002-01-15          34600

I bought my first compact tractor at the end of last year. I did a fair share of research before buying. The rear discharge mower should not leave a windrow - the discharge shoot is much wider than that on a side discharge. A belly mount mower is bound to cost signifcantly more than the three point hitch type and they usually are brand specific. That means if you don't like it you have to find someone else with the same model tractor looking for that size mower. The three point hitch unit can be used by anyone else with a three point hitch. The rear mount mower also allows you to back in under trees etc. That reduces follow up trimming. I did loose a few flowers when a wasn't paying attention to where the mower was swinging out in turns but I've learned to compensate for that. All in all I'd pick the rear mount hands down. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-01-15          34602

Hey Yankee, thanks for your input. I'm have'nt made my purchase yet of the new tractor. I know I want a Tc33D with rear discharge mower but I can't decide if I want the supersteer or not. I have about 30 trees on my lot. Also, I would like to get the R4 industrial tires for snow moving and loader work but I don't know if they will do major turf damage to my lawn. I have about three acres of old fieldgrass that I call a lawn. I'm not to picky about it but I don't want to tear it up too bad. Any thoughts from anyone would be welcome. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
Tim Connolly

2002-01-15          34603

I have the TC 33D with turf tires. I was told the turf tires offer more traction in snow than the R4's. So far I have not had a problem using the front end loader to plow snow. I was driving it out in my field last night through about 10 inches of crusty snow in four wheel drive of course and was able to climb moderate hills around my barn site without trouble.
I can see where a set of chains would help though. My driveway is 3/4 paved and gets slippery as the pavement snow melts then refreezes. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it clear enough to keep ice from building up too much. My Father-in-law has a JD 1050 with turf tires on it as well and pushes a big 3 point rear snowblower without any trouble.
I have only seen him with chains on the tires once back in '98 when we had a huge ice storm.
Tim Connolly
Maine ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2002-01-16          34606

Mr Wurm, I have used a 33 with superstear on my 15 acs, 5 ac are strickly fruit trees. I have use both belly and 3pt. The superstear does an great job going around the trees with a belly. The only thing to watch out for is the limbs. Using a 3pt with superstear is a pain in the NECK. Literaly. Trying to cut around 150 trees with a pull behind no matter if you have superstear or not can be an all day task. NOW.. let me expand, If you are not concerned about getting close and having a really nice manacured look, NOT an issue. Also, let me say this... I use a JD 935 to go around all the trees as it just doesn't get much better than that! And with a 6 ft cut I can knock alot off in a couple of hours. ....

Rear discharge mower

View my Photos
treeman

2002-01-17          34620

The belly mower linkage has springs to float the deck. In the manual it says to lower the deck till the wheels touch. Then set the lever stop one inch further. When you do this there is still some spring pressure holding the deck up.
My primary use for my tractor was for mowing. So I bought a TC33d with SS and a belly mower. I have turf tires so I dont chew up the ground when I use the loader and they do ride smoother. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login