Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC40D vs JD 4400 Comparison

View my Photos
Mountaineer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-19          33274

I would appreciate anyone's comments and input on comparision between the TC40D and the JD4400. Other than the former having a bit more HP, it appears that they are about the same. I was close to purchasing the 4400 before I started looking at the NH equipment. The NH seems like a bit better value for the money. My uses included mowing (about 10 acres) and front load usage. I live in the rolling hills of north central WV so I need to be able to handle the slopes.

Plus, would anyone have any information on the operating noise level of the TC40D? The JD literature indicates a level of 87 dB for the 4400. I was wondering how this compares to the 40D level?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mountaineer
(Compact tractor rookie)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
fieldmower

2001-11-19          33277

yes i have compared both, the dealer deliver both tractors for 4 hours, the nh beat the JD in everything but loyal following ( its not green ).

View my Photos
fieldmower

2001-11-19          33278

yes i have compared both, the dealer deliver both tractors for 4 hours, the nh beat the JD in everything but loyal following ( its not green ).
the 4 cyln, engine is much quiter than the 3 clyn jd,
the jd is narrower, harder to get on & off the seat, you sit down in and confined, the 3 pt hitch is worth the extra if you buy a jd, the nh in my opinion was just better and $2500 cheaper, I decide to spend the extra savings on a 45d instead of a 40, it will be worth more in the end, and you can't EVER have enough hp.... especally in hydo.... ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-19          33282

I don't understand. Why are you comparing the TC40 to the 4400 when you should be comparing it to the 4500? I am a JD fan but still this would make a more (real world) comparison.

David ....

View my Photos
Mountaineer

2001-11-20          33285

Fieldmower - Thanks for the valuable information. Your opinions confirm some of the other views I have heard from NH owners. I agree about the ease of entry and better vision. I do think the JD has an edge on implement attachments. I was very close to purchasing the 4400 as there is a dealer not too far from my home. Then I came across the NH website and started reading up on the NH. I was trying to get a better understanding of the price differential between the two machines.

Dave - This is not a side - by - side comparison. As indicated, I was close to the 4400 when I heard about NH. Since then, I have found a local dealer that has a used TC40D for sale and I just wanted some input on that. I agree that the HP are different but would appreciate your comments on other differences, especially from a JD owner perspective

Thanks again
Mountaineer ....

View my Photos
fieldmower

2001-11-20          33292

Please, let me correct my self, I was determined to buy JD 4400, GREEN. No other brand, but when i had both tractors side by side, NH Blue was better, in almost everything/everywhere. NOW, when the new JD 4410 come out, all bets are off. JD will then catch up, but currently you will not go wrong with the TC45D

And another thing, the two speed shift button on the HN was super!! I was mowing with a flail mower, cruise control on, when i came to make a turn, just flip switch to low range, tractor slows 30% or more, make turn or navagiate trees, and flip switch to high and resume speed, all without touching the foot pedals... That feature alone was SUPER neat, and Very Very useful... ( convinced my brother who also realized GREEN wasnt up to NH on creature comforts ) Granted a farmer who is going to put 1000 hours a year may have a different opinion, but my use of under 100 per year, i want the convience..... fieldmower, i mow 10 acres with a flail, you should consider this also... ....

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-11-20          33295

dsg....I think it is ignorance. ....

View my Photos
fieldmower

2001-11-20          33296

Steve,
the TC35D, TC40D and TC45D are all the same tractor frame/size, but different engines... pumps....

so now, you being the JD expert, show me the BIG advantages of the JD over the NH TC35-40-45D tractors..
use any model of JD you wish.....
you have the floor....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-20          33299

Well Steve, I think if one is just buying an oversized Lawnmower ones priorities are different.

David ....

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-11-20          33300

Just a minute as I remove the treble hook....Ok let's dance.

If I am being allowed to use any model of John Deere I wish to
compare to a nh tc40d, It would not be one which is 428lbs. lighter
but one which is 122lbs. heavier. Nor would I use a 4400 which holds
2 gallons less of fuel but a 4500 which holds 1/2 gallon less.

R-4 front tire size ...4" diameter difference??? Aw shucks that's
practically the same.

nh tc40d=121.7 c.i.d. 4 banger
JD4500=121.7 C.I.D. 4 Banger
hhmmmm...

Ah hah! Pumps you say? 4400 has a 8.6gpm main, 4500 has a 9.9 and
guess what?........nh tc40d has a 9.8gpm main.

Confined in the 4400? No wonder! It's a smaller tractor!

This Information was gathered by visiting the respective company's
internet sites.

Information is knowledge...knowledge is the opposite of
ignorance.

Part of my check went to Moline, Illinois, USA.
Part of your check went to where?....Is that even a country?

We are in this chat room because we have the First Amendment.
We also have the freedom to buy what ever tractor we want.

At this time in our great country's history we do not need
dissesion amongst the ranks. I am willing (after your reply)
to call a truce. Steve

View my Photos
BKColeman

2001-11-22          33328

I don't think you can fairly compare the 4500 here. It doesn't come with hydrostatic, and all of the New Holland models he's talked about are hydros. You have to jump all the way up to a 4600 to get hydro again. I've been making the same comparisons myself, between NH 40D and JD 4400 hydro. Never have understood why the 4500 doesn't have hydro available though. ....

View my Photos
keith rose

2001-11-22          33344

I think you should all stop bickering like a bunch of old ladies! All tractors have their good points and bad, what it really comes down to is what you the buyer feels most comfortable with. I bought NH, I felt you got more bang for the buck. Try them both Mountaineer if you think its worth paying more for the color(green) thats your choice. Like I said they both are fine machines so good luck in your tractor hunting. Oh ya forgot to mention almost have 100 hrs. on my machine and not one problem. ....

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-11-22          33347

The TC40 and the JD4500 would probably be a good comparison. I ended up with blue (40D) for the simple fact I got a better deal. I felt both tractors were very competant. If I could have got the 4500 with hydro (which they don't offer) who knows which I would have chosen. Even though I own Blue, there is something nostalgic about that JD green. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2001-11-24          33386

When it came time to either purchase another 4400HST w/60 inch belly mower and FEL OR a TC40/45D with FEL and rear finish mower, the decision was not easy and necessitated many visits to several NH dealers. Had the TC40 or 45D been the same size as my 4400, the decision would have been easy for me--TC4xD even if there was no hydraulic lift on the belly mower. BUT (and it was a BIG BUT for me), the TC4xD was simply too large for my needs and the 7 ft. belly mower was way too big for my needs and it did not have a hydraulic lift cylinder. OTOH, I thought the blue tractor to be superior in the following: much better view of the FEL bucket, better ergonomics of operating controls, awesome two speed switch on the FEL joystick, seat tilts for easier view of rear implement, 4 cylinder engine, and a nicer looking FEL (not a biggie in terms of importance, however). The TC40D with FEL and rear finish mower was almost the same price as a 4400HST with belly mower and 430 FEL. The TC4xD's FEL did not have a quick change bucket, althouth It was suggested that eventually it would be equipped as such and would utilize the NH Skidloader's attachments. Another considerion for me was the proximity of two excellent JD dealers and the NH dealer was many miles farther away. IMHO (and I have owned two Kubotas and three JD's) the TC4xD is a better value if a little larger tractor is needed. Good luck to you Mike S. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2001-11-24          33389

I think the 4510 will be offering a Hydro option.

David ....

View my Photos
PWG

2001-12-13          33799

Please end the discussion by parking the two side by side. For me the question was who had the stronger engineering and greater flexibility. John Deere's 4400 seemed to be the stronger unit for the long haul. The quick tach mounting was a plus. I have a 48 back hoe and 430 front end loader. The NH dealer was leading me towards Woods attachments.

Fortunately for me, two neighbors purchased compacts just before I did, one Boomer and one Cub. They have turned out to fine for grass cutting but over taxed for heavy chores, such as front end loader digging. Also, try removing or adding the frontend loader to either unit.

On a lighter note, the other thing that bothered me was that the NH advertising was aimed at another demographic than what I fit. Notice that it is women cutting grass mounted on most of those Boomers. This was to be my toy not my wife's! ....

View my Photos
fieldmower

2001-12-14          33812

PWG, you are right on the backhoe & attachments, but for 'farm/mowing' i believe that NH has the edge. My theory is if i want a backhoe, i can get a use Case 580k for $15000 which is 3 times the machine of any of these compacts, jd,nh k or what ever, Do all your backhoe work in half the time, us it for 5 years and resell it for $15000 . Which by the way i did it. Now all i have to do is mow grass. Did i do it wrong??? ....

View my Photos
PWG

2001-12-14          33814

Match the right tool to the application. I have seven springs on the property that need periodic attention, hence the backhoe. I also have a problem with getting rid of things. A rototiller that Dad bought in 63 is still used and maintained. A Cub 1282 and a wife from 82 are both still retained.

I looked at the tractor as being the ultimate long term relationship, that it should out survive me for the further benefit of my family. The fact that I can carry the acquistion cost over the more years, the lower the total cost of ownership.

I believe that from an engineering standpoint there are two trends. The north American approach often is slightly over engineered for the application and the european approach attempts meet the application for the lowest cost of manufacturing possible. Both have there merits. However, matching the application means you will just cut grass and not attempt regualrly other things that exceed the intended propose.

John Deere seems to be more of the north American engineering approach. Extra thickest to casting, a cast oil pan, etc. It exceeds the normal application requirements which is good for times when I am dragging logs or neighbors' stuck trucks or 20 teen aged kids from church in our 1934 grain wagon. I believe that the extras have a higher acquistion cost but due to a longer life expectancy will yeild a lower total cost of ownership. However, do what makes you happy! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-15          33827

PWG: I'm just curious what maintenance is done on springs. There are bunches of springs around here, and I never think much about them.

People have placed dug well half-tiles in a couple of them that are used publicly for drinking water. The tiles are set down in gravel in pools near where the springs come out of the ground. The tiles mostly increase the depth of a pool so people can dip water without stirring up sand on the bottom of the pool. Other than that, the springs just sort of sit there. I suppose we pass a dozen or so along any path we walk to the store.

Of course, some of these springs make mires. If I had to work a tractor around several of these, I'd probably be doing some kind of drainage maintenance.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login