Go Bottom Go Bottom

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-11          29995

can you new holland owners help me please!we are about to buy a tc33d and i am torn between to get the ss or not.do you who have ss think you could live without and do you who dont ever wish you did?? our dealers near us dont have any models with ss so we can't test. thanks for owner imput, mark

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
Tom H

2001-07-11          29996

Mark, the single biggest reason we bought our New Holland (TC-33D) is that only NH has SuperSteer. If you're mowing mainly wide open spaces and don't have many trees, or if you have a rear-mount mower, you probably don't need SuperSteer. If you're going to do a lot of mowing with a mid-mount mower deck and have a lot of trees and other obstacles to mow around, you will love SuperSteer. This is where SuperSteer really shines. It will turn in very short circles. But....you must slow down when turning tightly or else the front wheels will slide a bit and you'll begin to wear patterns in the grass.

I strongly recommend that you find one to test drive before you decide.

Either way, I'd still go New Holland.

Tom

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
Hans Top

2001-07-11          29998

Hi Mark
I have super steer and I would order it again in a flash if I were to get a newer tractor. There is no other tractor that I know of that offers any set up like this. It was one of the options that made me want the TC33D. I find the auto four wheel engagement works really well with the Super Steer and have rarely used the manual 4-wheel drive engagment selection (it does cause more scuffing). Super Steer really does make the indivudual left and right brake pedals more useless. If you are cutting grass you will be amazed at how tight a circle you can do without the front tires marking up the grass (have the turf tires). When you get into soft dirt and or snow and on these extreme turns you find that don’t have very much plowing effect. It makes the tractor very manuverable for when you are in tight spots. With a loader I find that the front wheels are a little more forward than a standard axle and thus you get under the load (longer wheelbase). Therefore you don’t need to put as much counter balance on the back. There is a small peculiarity because of the front axle geometery in that when you are at stand still and you turn the steering wheel to the right the front end will shift several inches to the left. The same is true for the opposite steering wheel direction. This is very noticable with the loader on. I have gotten use to this after the 2 years that I have had it. I would not want to be without this option.

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2001-07-12          30004

A friend of mine recently purchased a TC40D w/ supersteer. It appears that to maintain clearance for the pivoting front axle, a different loader is used on this tractor (17LA VS 16LA I think) The loaders appears to stick out significantly farther in front of the tractor than normal which probably lowers its lift capacity and makes the tractor very bouncy with a load in the bucket.I also noticed the turn right, loader goes left phenomenon that was mentioned. I do alot of maneuvering thru the woods between trees on my 790 and i'm curious if the supersteer with a loader would actually be beneficial or cause problems. It seems to me that a tractor with a longer wheelbase, a loader that sticks out farther and the turn right, go left thing would be a problem in tight spaces. Any thoughts? ....

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2001-07-12          30023

I bought a TC40D with FEL and supersteer this past winter. I pull a large industrial chipper in my woods and I can't imagine how much harder it would be without the SS. I feel that it was worth every penny. My neighbor cannot believe how much sharper it turns than his conventional tractor. We both have Dixon zero turning radius lawnmowers and we compare it to that! I looked at it this way before my purchase- I'd rather pay for it now and maybe not need it than want a different tractor later.
BTW- The longer loader has almost the same lift capacity as the 16LA (I can fill mine to overflowing with BIG rocks), and it has a higher reach than the 16LA. It also comes off real fast if you do find it getting in the way.
Good Luck, Tom K.

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
mark

2001-07-14          30068

tom, when you are in the woods do you keep your fel on?
other people have said about the front end and the fel moving
over several inches when you turn the wheels while sitting still
do you see/have this problem while your moving also? i also have a
ztr mower (xmark) w/ a bagger and it took some time to figure out how
close you can get to a object and turn w/out making contact. i would think the fel w/ ss would be the same. i think that i should get it now
because you cant add it on later! btw ss option is 900.00 around here.
seems fair. thanks for the help, mark

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
Hans Top

2001-07-14          30075

Mark when you are moving you will not even notice this anomally with the SS and it has the same characteristic as any other compact tractor. In fact you can make this feature work in your favor. I use it to straighted out the tractor if I park crookedly in the garage. I will put the loader down and unweight the front end. If I need to move the front end to the right I turn the steering wheel to the right. Then I pick up the loader and turn the steering wheel to left and the front end moves several inches to the right. By repeating this you can position the front of the tractor anywhere you want with out shuttling backward and forward. You could therefore us this feature to get you out of tight spots or into a position when you have no room to move backward or forward. With out the front end loader on you will not even be aware of this steering anomally. The loader just magnifiys what is happening. Go ahead and get this feature you won’t regret it. ....

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
kay

2001-07-14          30079

Anybody actually compared the turning radius of the SST with say the JD4300? I have heard the results are a bit surprising. I have not compared them myself, but thought someone may have. ....

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
Bob Rokeby

2001-07-14          30085

I was not too interested in the SS, but the tractor the dealer had that was equiped with my options had it. I bought a TC33D with R-4's and loader, etc. I would not do without SS now, it was impressive on the dealers lot, but I wondered how much it would really help. The real test is in the woods. I'm in the Ozarks and I can't imagine getting around trees without it. This tractor will circle a small tree. Until I got serious about buying, I assumed I would get a L Kubota. After I realized the L was physically too large, I looked at B Kubota and at NH and felt that TC33D met my needs better and was a little cheaper. No regrets, get SS.

Bob ....

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2001-07-15          30098

Mark,
I also paid about $900 extra for the SS. I ended up driving about 2 hours away to a dealer- past 2 other NH dealers- because the others didn't stock Boomers with SS and obviously told me it was not worth it. BULL! I love it! I have taken my FEL off twice just to do it. It tokk about 5 minutes each way. I drive with the loader on in the woods. I carry my chainsaws and other stuff in the bucket and also use the bucket for levering out stumps of smaller trees. For what it's worth- I put a work glove over the loader control when I haul stuff in the bucket.-That way I will remember NOT to use the bucket for working and bury my chainsaw in the process. (Not that I ever did.;0) Don't worry about the sideways movement of the tractor when moving with the SS. I got used to it in about 1 hour. If you look underneath a SS equiped Boomer you will see why they design it this way. Good Luck! -Tom ....

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
Paul S.

2001-07-16          30124

Can't add much to what has already been said other than another benefit of SS is seeing the look on your buddies faces when they take your rig for a test drive and spin it around for the first time.....priceless. ....

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
TomG

2001-07-18          30200

This isn't about super steer; it's about TomK and the glove. Real good idea, and it would have saved me aggravation several times. Funny how the mind can loose important details when working a tractor. Once during a long hot hard day of filling our gray-water leeching pit with septic stone, I switched over to doing some heavy dragging and lifting with my 3ph forklift. So, I think I need some front-end ballast and pick up a bucket of septic stone. I pile safety chain, load binders, pry-bar etc. on top of the stone. I finish the work and realize that it's getting late for dinner, so I put the tools back on top of the stone and start driving to where I chained the tractor. On the way I realized that I should dump the bucket into the leeching pit, which is what I did. I got all the way back to the parking area, shut down the tractor and then said 'where's the chain?' I walked all the way back to the work site looking for it before realizing 'oops' I dumped everything into the pit. It was hot, I was tired and also late for diner, but I needed the chain to secure the tractor and implements. I didn't even remember exactly where I dumped the bucket in the pit. Trying to move septic stone around with a shovel on a hot day isn't my idea of a good time. I did get tricky though. I realized that the stone where I dumped the bucket were dry, while those placed earlier in the day were damp on the bottoms. That narrowed down my search, and I wasn't too late for dinner. Sure am happy it was chain and not my chainsaw. The glove definitely is a good idea. It's also a good idea to take breaks from time to time. ....

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
tom

2001-07-20          30268

Mark,
I have a TC33D that I have had for over a year that does not have SS. I opted to go that way because that was all I could talk my wife into. I have no regrets for not having SS, but of course not ever having a luxury it is hard to miss. I don't feel deprived. It depends on whether you have to give up something else to get SS and if you don't your in luck. I would vote that you get what is going to make you the most satisfied with your tractor over the long haul. I think a NH tractor is certainly a good choice in either case.

my 2 cents,
Tom W ....

quot supersteer quot

View my Photos
Paul S.

2001-07-24          30337

....oh yeah, the other place that my SS really shines is in the shed...I, like everyone else, have a bunch of implements......I'm always swapping out one for the other (another plug for extendable lower links...nice, nice, nice)....I shed all my implements along with other toys and it makes for tight quarters...the SS make it a breeze to get in and out quick with no interim jockeying of "stuff"..... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login