Go Bottom Go Bottom

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Dave D.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-17          28304

I was all set to buy a TC-33D when my father-in-law got me looking at Kubota. Can anyone give me any pros and cons of NH vs Kubota? I really like the NH, but want to make sure I get the right tractor for the money.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-17          28307

Dave, I'm a Kubota owner; would definitely recommend a Kubota over a New Holland . . . for myself. Fact is, they're both good tractors, as is the John Deere. You owe it to yourself to go look at all three, drive all three, and then decide which one is best for YOU! ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Tom

2001-05-17          28309

Dave, I'm a NH owner. I would take a NH over a Kubota.
Just look at the to side buy side,the NH has alot more beef to them.
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Kubota.Look at both carefully
and you will see that the NH is better built.You look and you decide there all
good.
Tom ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-05-17          28314

I own a NH TC40D. I haven't owned it long, only a week or so, but I can say I am more impressed each day I use it. But I also know Kubota builds a great diesel engine, just check out all of the IR Bobcat Skid steer loaders out there. If I'm not mistaken they all use Kubota engines now. Like mosst people here at the CTB board I would also have to say check them out side by side and make the choice for yourself. I looked closely at the JD 4600 and the NH TC40D before puchasing a tractor and made my finaly decesion on how I felt in the seat and price. Drive them around and ask the dealer if they would bring one out to your place for a demo. Some will do that. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Don M

2001-05-17          28316

You know, it's So Easy to get hung up on specs and such. "Gee, this one's loader lifts 89 pounds more than the one I thought I wanted, and it lifts 1 inch higher too! But the 3rd one has 1 HP more.... Now what should I do?...."
As the one poster said, do your homework, but find the one that feels right to you. If it doesn't feel right to you, all the specs in the world won't help.

-Don M ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Alan Nooner

2001-05-17          28317

I recently went through basically the same thing except it was between NH and JD. I was trading a NH 1725 for either the TC33D or JD 4300, ended up with the NH due to experience with dealer.Confidence in the dealer is a major factor.I love my NH with the exception of gear chatter,especially a low rpm's.I have 12 hours on it now and it has done everything i wanted it to do so far.The seat and ergonomics are great on the NH.But, it sure was a hard decision to make.Good Luck. Alan ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-17          28319

Both have equally good reputations. Since you don't have to worry about one being better than the other, you are free to look at the important things. The biggie for me is how easy it is to hop on and off of the tractor. You will be doing that a lot more than you can even imagine. Especially if you use it as a chore and loader tractor. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-05-18          28343

Dave D., any discussion of Kubota vs New Holland vs John Deere is bound to get religious after a while (it's the same as Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge trucks), but here are some things to consider anyhow. My humble opinion on compact tractors is that the big three are roughly equivalent and, in general, Kubota has the best quality, New Holland has the best ergonomics, and John Deere has the best attachment features. These are three very volatile statements to make, and each can be argued both for and against, but it is my opinion after shopping and researching these animals for the past 2 years. Now you say you were considering a TC33D. Which Kubota are you considering against it? The L3410 would be the closest from a spec point of view, but the B2910 is a possibility also. These are two very different tractors and my choice of a TC33D, L3410, or a B2910 would mostly depend on what I intended to do with the tractor and then how comfortable I was with the dealer, both from a price and service point of view. For example, if I was primarily going to be finish mowing nice turf then I would favor the B2910 with a belly mower because of its lighter weight and smaller stature. Alternatively, if I was primarily interested in a lot of rear 3 point hitch work with different gound-breaking implements I would probably favor the TC33D because of its greater weight, telescoping draft arms, and rotating seat which ease rear-facing work. Or in my own personal case, where I wanted to use a belly mower and still be able to go back and forth with a frame-mounted backhoe and loader frequently, I would (and did) go with a JD4300/4400 because it is the only one that has loader, belly mower, AND backhoe compatibility with the best attachment/removal system for all three implements. So where does all this leave you? Just what most folks on this board essentially say: "Figure out what you want the tractor to do, try all the brands out that you can, and purchase based on your comfort with the tractor, dealer service and price." I believe you really can't go wrong with any of the big 3, and maybe not with some of the other major brands either. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
charlie

2001-05-18          28347

i bought my first compact in 1985,a 1210 ford.used it hard for 1500 hours and decided it was time to trade.there was a prblem with the ford dealer on the trade so i deciced to give kubota a try,big mistake.in the 300 hours i had the orange nightmare i replced the brakes twice, axle seals once, and had the cases split to fix a noise that never could be found.traded back to the true blue and in 700 hours its been back to fix the mid mount pto seal.good luck ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-19          28355

Jeff said: "My humble opinion on compact tractors is that the big three are roughly equivalent and, in general, Kubota has the best quality, New Holland has the best ergonomics, and John Deere has the best attachment features. These are three very volatile statements to make.........
Jeff, I just wanted to run that line again because you said it so well. While I'm sure that there are individual models within each line that vary from those descriptions - and I've only driven a few of each - I agree that what you said sure seems to sum up the situation. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Dan Bessette

2001-05-19          28359

Another important thing to remember is that those "nightmares" come in ALL colors. If you read long anough you'll see that some people are biased based on personal experience. Just be careful you don't base your decision on someone else's color-blind experiences. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-19          28362

Don't overlook the importance of the dealer. The motorcycle guys used to say "Find the right dealer, and buy what they're selling." That may overstate the case a little; but I think is close to the truth.
I gave up on my closest NH dealer when they wouldn't return my calls, etc (3 strikes and they were out); then went to the next closest one, 1-1/2 hours away. He had to dealer trade the tractor I wanted; he got it from the other dealer!
Bill Mullens ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

2001-05-19          28370

When I bought my Kubota the only thing I didn't like about NH was the modern look. The Kubota looks more like a tractor to me. Plus I know several people who owned Kubotas for years and had no trouble with them. The JD 4000 series were in short supply and you had to wait months for them. I needed a tractor and couldn't wait. I'm happy with the Kubota. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Glenn

2001-05-20          28375

I'd like to stress one aspect that was mentioned: "Does it feel right." I shopped around and drove a number of tractors--most of them hydros with 4-wheel drive and they were wonderful. However, when I had a chance to buy a new John Deere Model 670 at an excellent price because that model was discontinued, I jumped at it. My John Deere is gear-shift, 2-wheel drive, and doesn't even have a mid PTO. However, it FEELS LIKE A TRACTOR. I grew up on a South Dakota farm with John Deere "poppin' Johnnies" and my tractor harkens back to that era. I feel good everytime I look at that green and white jewel sitting there and even better when I climb aboard the flight deck. Also, the tractor is quite adequate for the variety of chores on my "mini micro ranch." So, Hurrah for Nostalgia! ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Glenn

2001-05-20          28376

Whoops--My John Deere is green and YELLOW like everyone elses. One says dumb things when one gets emotional. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-05-20          28382

Glenn, you brought tears to my eyes. Tears of laughter, that is. You are absolutely correct about getting a tractor that feels right. I love my JD4400 with all the toys on it, but my uncle's IH Farmall 400 is still the essence of a real tractor to me. And don't worry, we all tend to say dumb things when we get emotional. My wife just can't understand me getting emotional about tractors! ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-05-20          28383

Roger, thanks for the vote of confidence in my "not-so-humble" opinions! I was concerned that I had overstepped my bounds with those three sweeping generalizations, but that was honestly the way I had assessed the compact marketplace. Thanks for backing me up because I respect your opinions a great deal. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2001-05-20          28384

I agree with Glenn. I have a 790 4wd and friends of mine recently purchased a TC40D and a Kubota 3010. Both are hydros and seem to be very capable machines. I do , however, feel the Boomer has too many gimmicks and gadgets on it that may affect its long term reliability. After driving those tractors and then getting back on mine it made me really appreciate the simplicity of the 790. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-20          28387

Dave;
This seems like a real debate to me. I am not that sentimental but I must admit that there is some truth to the construction and sound of the old tractors.
Mowing the field yesterday with my not so new MF65 too me back to the low reving chugging tractors of my youth (ie. when my tractor was new). Tractors like this 35 year old beauty have never been rebiult despite untold hours because they were constructed heavy and the engines revs were low.
My JD 955 needs to turn at 2300 rpm to have any power. Piston speeds at this RPMs will not likely allow the tractor to pass much over 2000 hrs before I will need to rebuild the engine. As I don't normally put on more than 100 hrs/year on the small tractor and was looking for something that was easy for my wife and son to drive does it matter?
If I had infinite amounts of money and wanted the best tractor for a long term solution then I would look at rigidity and RPM's. In general the transmission and axel assembly is what gives the tractor its rigidity. Less metal, less weight, less rigid, more wear. You need to look at the central casing on the tractor and how the tractor is constructed.
In doing this comparison I always came up with the NH as the best value new, yet I have always bought a JD as I could find one at the right price and hours used. The 4000 series beyond the 4100 are well constructed but green costs.
I thought, like Mark that the TC40D was a nice tractor although a little large for mowing the lawn. The TC35D is almost the same tractor only the engine is smaller. The TC33D is nice, but I did not like the manual without the shuttle shift for bucket work. The hydro TC33D is much more than the TC35 or 40. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-20          28388

JeffM, as Roger said, I like your assessment of the 3 major brands; think you hit it pretty well on the head.

And Glenn, nostalgia is great at times, but thank goodness I have a Kubota with hydrostat, power steering, hydraulic 3-point, front end loader, ROPS, canopy etc., etc. instead of that hand cranked 2-cylinder gasoline powered (1938?) John Deere that I started my tractoring on when I was a kid. LOL ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Dave D.

2001-06-14          29254

Thank you very much for all of your responses regarding my earlier question. I am slightly closer to resolving my dilemma as Kubota has edged ahead of NH in my mind. What I have found after visiting the different Kubota dealers is that Kubota has the better hydraulics and better quality which is probably attributed to the fact that they use all of their own parts in manufacturing their tractors. So far, Kubota has come in at $18,200 and NH at $18,395. Unfortunately, until I sell my 9N, I won't be buying either of them. Know anyone in NE Ohio looking for a 9N in good condition? Thanks again. ....

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-06-14          29259

Dave, I like those Kubotas too....but the bit about better quality and better hydraulics sounds like some salesman fantasy. I won't bother to argue, just to point out that both brands are neck and neck in all areas. Lucky for you that you already have a nice tractor. I doubt that you will have much trouble selling a good 9N. Those things are just like money in the bank. Don't let some dealer scare you away from its value. Anyone that runs is worth 2000 here, and a nice one with good tires, paint, 3pt, PTO, and tight (hah!) steering will go 3000 to 3500 without any accessories.

NH v Kubota

View my Photos
Jeff Golden

2001-06-14          29269

Dave: Since you still have to sell your 9N, you've still got time to be more confused. Just kidding. I searched and researched tractors for 6 months before I bought mine. I read, rode, evaluated, and kicked everything I could find within 50 miles of home. It took about 3 months to narrow the field down to 2 tractors that I felt really fit the bill. Funny thing is I didn't end up with either of them. I took a dealer's offer of a 4 day trial over Thanksgiving last year. It totally destroyed all the data/feelings/notions I had collected in the previous 3 months. What I thought I wanted (simple/gear trans) did not compare to what he gave me to try (HST/mfwd). He hadn't offered the trial based on selling me the unit he delivered...he was just letting me use the tractor to get a few jobs done before the weather closed in...hoping I'd return when I was making my purchase. Guess where I went when I was ready?

What did I buy? A JD4300 with loader/blade/rotary mower. My best advise is to find the features on a tractor you want from a dealer who wants you as a long term customer. My dealer has even offered to let me use other attachments when I have small jobs to do. Can you believe he's only 20 minutes away....driving my tractor!!

Good luck Dave. Whether you go with NH, Kubota (or maybe even Deere) you have to be happy with how it fits you needs. With the quality and features of the tractors you looking at, you'll do ok. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login