Go Bottom Go Bottom

Option consideration on a TC 40

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-14          25492

Drove by a TC40D yestereday.... had to stop and look at it. WOW, what a tractor.I have loads of questions for you guys..What do you think of the SS option? Is it worth the extra money? How many wish they would have gotten it...or vise vera? I think the SS option give you that automatic 4wd feature. Anybody have feedback about how that works? If it really works, it would be great.How easy is the FEL to remove? compared to JD or Kub.What problems have you encountered with the TC40?My neighbor is looking to replace his JD950. We thought the Kubota would get the nod...but now he's not so sure. After seeing the TC40D, I can understand why.Any feeback on an approximate price of $21K - $21.5K for the tractor/loader/SS?I'm mearly consulting him....yet I'll probably end up trading my JD4100 for a TC33D or something till this is finished.And my little JD has been just fine..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Robert Macan

2001-03-14          25499

Mike,
I have a TC-40D tractor with Super Steer and the 17LA loader that I bought in October. It has 80 hrs. on it and so far has been great. There are how ever a couple of issues going on right now with the TC-35D through TC-45D tractors. The first one is a recall of certain serial numbers to have some gears in the HST replaced to correct a possibility of the tractor coming out of gear unintentionally while going down steep hills. This only effects certain serial number tractors made last year but check before you buy. The other reported problem is the block/radiator common drain hose causing water to circulate even when the thermostat is closed and not letting the tractor warm up in cold temperatures. This has not been addressed yet by NH but the fix, placing a shutoff valve in the hose is cheap and simple. The Super Steer option reduces the tractors turning radius by 40% when using differential braking to assist the turn. It does have one quirk. When turning with Super Steer the loader and the front of the tractor initially move in the opposite direction of the turn. This is normal for Super Steer and they warn you with placards and in the manual. This makes it hard to re-position the loader accurately when you are already very close to something. In my case it makes using clamp-on pallet forks harder to position for lifting from a truck bed. I suspect that it just takes some getting use to. I've only done this twice. Do you need it? For most field work probably not. If you need to turn around in really tight places, maybe. My suggestion is to try one with and one without at the dealers. The other option which I believe comes as part of the Super Steer option is the SensaTrack automatic 4 wheel drive which helps keep you from tearing up the ground if you make a sharp turn when it has the 4 wheel drive engaged. I haven't really noticed if that does anything or not. The fields have been so wet that if you turn really tight you are going to tear up some turf no mater what. I like the tractor and my dealer and on my limited experience so far, I would get the TC-40D again if I had it to do over.
Bob

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2001-03-14          25511

I just bought a TC40D with 17la FLE and supersteer on Monday. It gets delivered this Sunday. The dealer told me the NH already put in a check valve to cure the coolant bypass. I can't wait 'till this weekend! Tom ....

View my Photos
Dave in New Hampshir

2001-03-14          25512

Michael: I bought a TC40D4 without SS about a three weeks ago. It now has about 15 hours on it. I've been moving lots of snow! I had a problem with the ROPS. It was hard to lower the first time, and once down, I could not raise it. The dealer sent someone to my house to help me through the this problem, and later took the tractor back to his shop. It now works fine, but the pins and locks are tough to use in cold weather. Someone has suggested replacing the factory pins with hitch pins. I'm going to give that a try. I have not had a problem with the engine not warming up. Good luck. Dave ....

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-14          25519

Michael, I traded a two year old 4100 for the TC29D with SS. The ergonomics are outstanding on the machine. The loader is on par with the Deere to remove and install. The bucket is MUCH more difficult to remove. I had a number of minor problem with mine initially and the dealer corrected everything. What I don't like is the turn brakes on the wrong side when equipped with hydrostatic drive. The 72" belly deck is a bear to take on and off by yourself unless you have a smooth cement floor to work with. The SS does make it tricky to align the loader when installing it, you just have to practice with it. It's a looker, kind of like having a Corvette to mow your lawn when the neighbor has a Subaru. ....

View my Photos
Tom Kopf

2001-03-14          25523

I DID check the operation of my ROPS at the dealer and it worked just fine. Tom ....

View my Photos
Bob Josaitis

2001-03-14          25527

Michael, a dealer told me NH was going to come out with a quick detach bucket feature this year (not to be confused with the Quick-Latch system as advertised in the Boomer catalogue, which does nothing for fast bucket removal). If that is important to you, you may want to check out the rumor and if true consider waiting on your purchase to get the upgraded FEL, or consider ordering your tractor now without a FEL and getting the upgraded FEL later when it shows up. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2001-03-15          25554

I just purchased a TC35D a few weeks ago. Removing and installing the FEL is not any where close to the ease of the JD loader on the 4100. More pins and levers and on and off the tractor than JD. When it comes to FEL installation JD has NH beat by a mile. When it comes to control function ergonomics NH has JD beat by a small margin. In my opinion of price per H.P., NH wins.........I don't know anything about attaching Kubota implements. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-15          25559

Larry, I've removed and replaced the loader on a New Holland and put it back, but never have removed and replaced one on a Deere, but if it's any easier than my Kubota, I don't know how they could have done it. The only time I ever timed myself, without getting in any hurry, it took me 2.5 minutes to put it on, and I'm sure it doesn't take any long to take it off. Of course the only place I ever take mine off is in the shop building on a smooth concrete floor. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2001-03-16          25568

Hello Bird,
IMHO, the JD FEL is the easiest loader to remove. Noticably better than Kubota. I do sometimes wonder though if strength was sacrificed in order to make it this easy. Course, now JD has this cheezy afterthought bracket to keep the loader from falling off.... So maybe the score is about even. ....

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-16          25578

I have to jump into this one more time. The N/H requires the operator to exit the machine and pull two lockpins to release the latching mechanism on each side. Once removed, unhook the hoses and drive away. The J/D required me to stand on the operators platform to reach and operate a single release mechanism and then exit the machine to remove the hoses. For the extra minute I now spend with the N/H removal, I gain a more secure retaining system. We are splitting hairs with the time factor. The BIG plus for the J/D is the quick attach for the bucket. I have to beat the pins out of my N/H with a mallet and drift, the J/D could be done quickly with literally NO effort. The J/D belly mower is MUCH easier to install and remove by yourself. I like the J/D hydro controls. The N/H has a great position for the joystick, the Deere is ALWAYS in the way. Body integrity is about the same. I noticed the N/H has many more grease fittings. The J/D has better grill protection. The J/D has the turn brakes on the opposite side of the hydro control, meaning you can actually use them to turn when plowing. You can SEE with the N/H headlights. ....

View my Photos
Jeff B

2001-03-16          25581

Too bad we can't combine the best features of both brands and create a New Deere :) - JeffB ....

View my Photos
cutter

2001-03-16          25582

I'm in Dutch country here. I like John Holland! We could compete directly with Cubota. I didn't say that. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-18          25616

Cutter, I agree with your assessments 100%. The differences in time on the loader removals are "in the noise", but bucket removal is another matter. Glad to hear your comments on the JD belly mower removal because mine is arriving next month. And Cubota? How about something totally unbelievable like New Holland-Case-InternationalHarvester-Ford? Truth is stranger than fiction. Did I forget Fiat, Allis, and Chalmers? ....

View my Photos
cutter

2001-03-18          25619

BRAVO! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login