Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fix for cold running TC 039s

View my Photos
Frank
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-08          25208

To all of you with TC's that will not warm up. I too have a TC35D and my temp gauge never moved. Your coolant is bypassing the thermostat by flowing down the drain tube on the right side of your engine and into the radiator and right back into the engine via the bottom radiator hose.Try this just as a test to prove this theory. Clamp off with a pair of vicegripsthe rubber drain hose (gently so you dont ruin the rubber hose) In 10 minutes or less your gauge will read in the middle of the green. Then call you dealer and tell him to install a shut off or new drain valve to stop this flow of coolant.This is the 1/2 inch black rubber hose on the bottom right that the drain valve is connected into. Be careful your vicegrips dont get into the fan blade. NH is working on this and is aware but they are keeping it a secret. ALL of you who have been writing about puting cardboard in front of your radiator to get it to warm up also have this problem. Try this test then call your dealer and insist on a fix. Diesels must run hot, you will damage your engine if you run it cold.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2001-03-08          25232

Thanks Frank, I will give it a try this weekend and let you know how it works out. I do have two questions though. I wonder why you said that NewHolland is keeping this possible problem a secret and why running a diesel cool will ruin the engine????? Obviously I don't know much about diesel engines but mine does get warm. Maybe not enough to prevent damage. How warm does a diesel need to get to prevent damage? Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to cause myself expenses due to a lack of knowledge. ....

View my Photos
Frank

2001-03-09          25281

I know that NH is aware of the coolant bypass problem but it seems that only 10% of engines have this problem. Maybe they dont know why 90% are ok or what is causing the problem in only 10%. If you check back on this message board you will note many people trying to figure out how to put cardboard in front of their radiator to help the engine warm up. This should not be necessary and also they are blocking the air flow through their HST cooler at the same time.
A warm engine is not warm enough unless the temp indicator shows half way through the green. Diesels need to run at 160 degrees or hotter or they will build up "junk" around the pistons and valves. Your "warm" engine has a cold upper radiator hose and the thermostat is never opening but the 1/2 inch drain hose gets quite warm, which shows that coolant is flowing through to the radiator. Ask your dealer if its "normal" for a diesel to run without moving the heat dial. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2001-03-10          25338

Well Frank, you are exactly right. I clamped off the drain hose and the temp gauge went to the middle of the scale. I also watched it cycle slightly above and slightly below the middle of the scale. I suspect this was the thermostat opening and closing as it should. I will call the dealer and let him know about the problem on Monday. In the event that I get the bum's rush from the dealer, couldn't I just install a shut off valve in the drain line???? ....

View my Photos
Frank

2001-03-11          25351

To Larry in MI. Nice going, I believe there are at least 1 thousand with this problem. Just look at all the posts about COLD TC engines and folks trying to figure out how big, and what shape, the hole should be in the cardboard that they use to block their radiator. This is WRONG and NH MUST accnowledge this problem and come up with a fix for everyone. You, I, Todd Pierce, and others could do it ourselves but this does not help everyone else and it MIGHT void your warrantee.
NH could just supply a new drain valve that has 2 positions, either Block the flo through the tube or open to drain. The other problem is that all TC's do NOT have this problem. Many work properly. I made a temporary clamp until I can get NH to supply a fix. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2001-03-11          25366

You are right again Frank. Please let me know when or if NH ever provides a fix for this problem. I have installed a temporary clamp like you have in the mean time. ....

View my Photos
gary mason

2001-03-12          25385

my new tc35d yesterday went up to the first(bottom) line right at the green area. So I did move off the "peg" but not fully up to the center of the green area.
gary ....

View my Photos
Frank

2001-03-13          25462

To Gary Mason, Check your top radiator hose when your dial is at the bottom of the green area. If the top radiator hose is warm/hot then you know the thermostat is opening and you do NOT have a problem. If the top hose is cold and the small drain bypass hose is warm then you know you have the same problem as the rest of us. Your engine MUST get to 160 before the thermostat will open. If your engine is running at a temp under 160 then you are going to have a deisel that will crap up the valves in time and give you big problems. Frank ....

View my Photos
gary mason

2001-03-14          25503

Frank, thanks ...will do this weekend and let you know what I find out.
gary ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2001-03-17          25587

I stopped by the dealership yesterday and explained the problem. They said they were unaware of such a problem. I finally got to talk to a mechanic who understood the problem. The mechanic was a really nice guy and even found a TC40D that was running and checked the lower drain hose. The drain hose was warm and the mechanic agreed that it was probably bypassing. They wrote down my name and telephone number and said they would get back to me. ....

View my Photos
gary

2001-03-17          25601

hi my name is gary i work for a new holland dealer in WI. I am the person who found the cold running problem on boomer tractors and the fix for it. new holland recomended installing the block drain valve from a new holland ls170 skid loader the problem with these valves is they leak like a screen door so what we have been using is a briggs and stratton in line fuel shut off valve and this works very well good luck
Gary ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2001-03-19          25662

My dealer called today and said NH has a valve that goes in the engine block to fix the problem. It sounds a lot like the valve that Gary just described as leaking like a screen door. In the mean time I have installed the Briggs and Straton fuel valve which works just fine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login