Go Bottom Go Bottom

How do you brake steer with hydro trans

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-30          17590

Having never used a hydrostatic tranny, I'm wondering how to brake steer when moving forward. Thanks,Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-30          17591

Unless you're a contortionist, it's very difficult to use the brakes for turning with the hydro. Of course, if you have the "cruise control" or speed set device in use, then you can do it. I think most of us just don't find it necessary to turn that short since it's so quick and easy to maneuver forward and backward with the hydro. ....

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-06-30          17592

If you had a John Deere 4000 series you would be able to brake steer with out any problem. The John Deere Hydros have the turning brakes on the left side & a master brake pedal on the right side. It works great. Chris ....

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-06-30          17594

A compact 4WD does not need to be "brake steered." As explained to me and demonstrated, the bigger 2WD farm tractors under load with less weight on the front tires needed the brakes TO steer. Little compacts gain almost nothing with brake steering and some dealers question why they are equipped in the first place. I haven't needed mine yet! ....

View my Photos
turfman

2000-07-01          17600

I Have a 4400hst. I use my steering brakes often enough that I am glad I can. Usually it is when needing to make a tight turn while grading. Most often used in the confines of the shed where all the equipment make manuvering a little difficult. Never use it while mowing the yard. Sometimes when grading on steep banks to hold the unit in a straight line without the front wheels having to oversteer and cause ruts. ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-07-01          17603

Klay, I would have to disagree with whether brake steering is needed on a compact. I have been doing a lot of loader work in a wooded area shuffling logs around. I don't have hydro, only a sync shift. I am constantly brake steering in lower gears in order to tuck this timber in here and there. Not having a hydro tranny, it means not having to shift to back up one more time and is a big time saver. Not to mention that sometimes it's the only way to accomplish a task with a 20' log on the forks. So, even if I bought a hydro machine for this type of work, it better allow me to brake steer. In this senario turning radius is everything and I can almost turn on a dime for short distances if needed. Very often the rear will still want to push the front tires over sideways as I have my 1070 well ballasted in the back. In this case, a little brake action gets everthing moving in the right direction to start with. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-07-01          17607

I also use turn brakes on my 855, mainly while discing and plowing, turning 90* to a 360* turn I find it very handy & necessary at times, but I've been told it adds more shaveings in the hydro sreen.
Dana ....

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-07-03          17680

Now you guys got me wonderin' what the ACTUAL differance is. I took my 2710 (W/ R-4's)on my hard packed gravel drive and just turned right for 360*. I had close to 6 foot ID circle. Then the same with full right brake, the right rear tire stayed locked but got pulled slightly for a 2 foot ID circle. For the fun of it I tried it in 4WD with the same results. With the looks of the drive I would not want to try that on my lawn!! Can anyone pivit on the braked tire? ....

View my Photos
Jim Hardwick

2000-07-04          17712

2000-07-04

Brake steering? How do you say...Supersteer!

NH's so equipped will actually turn around in less than their own length.

J ....

View my Photos
Chris Williams

2000-07-10          17867

Some of you evidently have not used a hydro tractor in a garden, mud or gravel. You may think you don't need to break and turn because you can't. With the JD 4400 the left and right brakes are on the left allowing for breaking and turning. I can out turn a supersteer in low traction. This was the main thing I did not like about the New Holland tractors and I am a long time Ford fan. Any farmer would laugh if you told him a tractor would not brake and turn. ....

View my Photos
Chris Williams

2000-07-10          17869

I forgot to mention to the supersteer guys that when you pull turning plow your front end will have little or no weight on it as the plow digs in. How are you going to turn your tractor without the front wheels on the ground. Its no problem with the JD 4400. ....

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-07-10          17870

Who can't brake steer?? ....

View my Photos
Jim Hardwick

2000-07-11          17874

2000-07-11

Sorry guys, my SS NH is a bit heavier than the ones you are mentioning here, so I can imagine that it handles differently. Obviously if a SS tractor gets into soft stuff or whatever, the brake steer option is still there.

One nice thing about NH's traction management (4wd on demand, basically) is that it cuts out at extreme steering angles so as not to scuff in front as the tractor spins around in less than its own length on a complete turnaround.

The JD 4000's have their good points, but I'll meet you guys on a maneuvering course thru a bunch of tight turns any day. Even with my 6300 lb/13 ft machine (NH TN90F).

J ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login